Tags:
  1. Fox Favinger

Fox Favinger New Member

Let me introduce myself

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Fox Favinger, Aug 9, 2009.

Hello, I am known both online and by my friends as FoxZero or Fox, and because of this most people don't know my real name, and I don't care because I hate having a unisex name.

I got seriously into writing I guess around five/six years ago in 8th grade. My teachers noticed I had a real nack for it and I was very creative. Hell the last thing I wrote in 8th grade was a 20 page short story, so I ended up getting creative writer of the year. Since then I've been trying to improve myself as a writer and I am aspiring to be a novelist. In 9th grade I started my website foxzero.net to showcase my work, mostly my music which I am mainly known for, as well as my video game projects.

I mostly write science fiction, but I never read it. I read mostly military non-fiction and some thrillers. Black Hawk Down is one of my all time favorite books and is one of my main inspirations for writing military themed stories. I am obsessed (I mean obsessed) with realism in my stories so I tend to use possible rather than plausible technologies or developing technologies in my stories. My stories also typically revolve around the military and underground economies so they tend to be of the very dark and very brutal nature. I don't do the hero the hero villain crap. I focus 100% on character development so the plot is generally the characters' agenda or whatever situation they are in. Whether my characters are good or bad depends on the perspective of the reader as my characters typically have their own personal morals, or none at all lol.

Lately I've been trying to put something together that I can submit to a publisher. I am currently working on a novel, but I've been told it's much harder to get a novel published than a short story. So that project is on hold and I am working on an episodic series of short stories instead. They are basically a novel that has been chopped into pieces. All of this stuff is available on my website, though I am not sure if it is a good idea to have all my work published online already, especially if I plan on surrendering the rights of it.

I am familiar with the rules already and I plan on giving advice and doing reviews long before I post any of my own work. Also do to the violent and profane nature of my works I am waiting to hear from the admin about what kind cap you guys put on content. I like things brutal and I like my gore.

I look forward to chatting with you guys. I admit I have a bit of a mouth but I reserve it for moments of shock or quotes as I do in real life. I despise censorship and I avoid boards that require me to do so. I've been browsing for a while and I'm sure I'll get along fine :)

2. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

welcome to the jungle!

3. Fox Favinger

Fox Favinger New Member

Do you have fun and games? Otherwise I am going to be very disappointed :(

:p lol

4. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Why yes we do! :D

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Fox, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

The content rules are approximately equivalent to a USA PG-13 film rating.

As you have probably already read, posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

6. Fox Favinger

Fox Favinger New Member

Wow, bummer. I don't think I'll ever be posting any of my work then. PG-13 movies have no blood and almost no swearing, in other words no realism for the stuff I write about.

7. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Welcome to the asylum!