1. Marzipan

Marzipan New Member

Howdy, everyone!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Marzipan, May 13, 2014.

I'm never sure what to say about myself. I used to write a lot when I was younger, but I find that after leaving school, I hardly put pen to paper anymore. I'm attempting to write a story I've been thinking about for the past 2 years and I'm looking for a good place for support. I'm realizing what a total amateur I really am. :)

I'm looking forward to being a part of your community!

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Welcome to the forum, Marzipan. :friend:

I love it when a new member joins and I look at their screen name and think "How did that not get snapped up before??" :agreed:

Please have a quick read through the New Member Quick Start where you'll find link to the Forum Rules, and the FAQ.

Have fun! :crazy:

Wrey

3. Holly_M

Holly_M New Member

Hi Marzipan,

I'm intrigued in regards to your story! What's it about if you don't mind me asking?

4. Marzipan

Marzipan New Member

Well, I've tweaked it a few times over the years, but right now I believe I have it right. I think.

I just realized in this moment how hard it is just to get the words out to explain it. I need some serious writing practice.

Okay. It's set on a foreign world not unlike ours where there are 4 races of beings. For a long time they lived in relative peace with other, trading goods, sometimes intermarrying. There were people who dwelled by the sea and had a rich culture and economy based off of that. The same goes for people in the northern mountains and for the people who lived shrouded in the jungle forests. It's a somewhat primitive world, lots wilderness. The fourth race of people are a little different, though. They have a mystical technology and deal in information. They are peaceful and shared this "magic" with the others (but not all of it, the most powerful they kept hidden away). This didn't sit well with some, especially the northerners who lived a hard life in the mountains. They invaded the civilization of the fourth race looking to steal ALL their secrets in order to become the dominant race, as they believed they rightfully should be. Refugees managed to get away in a few ships just in time with the precious "magic" tech.

300 years later we meet up with the children of those refugees living on a remote island chain. They know nothing of the "magic" that their ancestors shared and used. They don't even know each other exist on other islands. But when a pair of teens go exploring to forbidden places they find some ruins and a (really) old man who eventually tells them all about their history and this "magic". Unfortunately, they have now been discovered by northern invaders (who did conquer the mainland and enslave many people) who have been searching all this time for the secret power that was hidden from them.

Okay, this is my story. Basically.

Does it sounds like something people would like to read?

5. Holly_M

Holly_M New Member

Yes it definitely does sound like something people would read. I'd love to give it a shot myself. Do you plan sharing it at some point?

6. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

Oh feel free Marzipan, you are a part of this community now :) just tell me can you write a complete story, or you like me write a small part of every story? Also I am curious to know, your writing is mostly in what field?

7. Marzipan

Marzipan New Member

I would like to share it in time. Right now it's in a million bits and pieces.

8. Marzipan

Marzipan New Member

I write small scenes that I can't figure out how to piece together. :)

I used to write a lot of short fictional stories (and bad poetry) when I was younger. I really haven't written anything in years, though. My passion has always been sci-fi/fantasy, which is what I'm trying to figure out how to write at the moment. I have a book in my head, I just have to figure out how to get it on paper in one coherent piece.

Mans likes this.