Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributing Member Contributor

Harriet Tubman replacing Andrew Jackson on the $20 Bill

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by X Equestris, Apr 20, 2016.

So the Treasury Department made the choice it should have made when this topic came up, and is replacing Jackson instead of Hamilton.

What do you think of this move? Personally, I like it. Of the people on our currency, Jackson easily had the most morally compromised record, so if anyone was going to get replaced, he seems like the best option. And Tubman's accomplishments are definitely worthy of celebration.

2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Sounds good to me! I never liked Jackson, and never understood why we even put him on the $20 bill. The guy basically committed wholesale genocide against the Native Americans with his Indian Removal Act among other things. Good riddance; I welcome Tubman on the $20 bill.

KokoN and Acanthophis like this.
  3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

I think the decision is fine. Not sure why some people are upset over it.

4. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

Well, Jackson was bad man and Harriet Tubman was a hero.

We might not be getting a livable min. wage, an end to war, or our democracy back, any time soon, but at least we got this critical issue taken care of.

5. X Equestris

I've heard the idea that putting Jackson on the twenty was a sort of "screw you" gesture, as one of the things Jackson is most famous for is opposing the Second National Bank. He also vehemently hated paper money.

6. Link the Writer

Huzzah! Now let's get back to our increasing national debt, our crippled health care, and lord knows what else. :D

@X Equestris - I heard. He detested the Second National Bank and did everything he could to kill it. This was their perfect, classy way of flipping him off. Ironic, though, as we're basically now doing what he would've wanted which was to not put his face on paper money.

123456789 likes this.
  7. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

She's a very good choice. But if I remember correctly, Jackson is still going to be on the back of the bill.

8. The Triarii

The Triarii Member

Realistically the treasury only had a few options. Presidents Lincoln, Washington, and Mr. Franklin are too entrenched in society to go anywhere. This would leave President Grant (a Civil War hero), Jackson (genocidal, alcoholic, violent, slave owner) , and Secretary Hamilton (founder of our modern banking system and anti slavery activist). Did we really think it was going to be anyone else? Also, by choosing a black woman they kill two birds with one stone.

9. X Equestris

Yes, but I imagine he'll be somewhat minimized on the back.

10. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Contributed Member Contributor

I did read an interesting counterpoint that said that Harriet Tubman should not be on money, since she was struggling against the reigning economic system of the South and probably would not have appreciated being honored in that particular way.

The decision, however, to leave Jackson on the back of a bill, with an escaped slave on the front, strikes me as a little bizarre.

Link the Writer likes this.
  11. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle Active Member

They actually tried to replace Hamilton but they got smacked with loads of black lash. He has become somewhat of a pop culture sweetheart what with the musical and everything. People didn`t want to see him removed so they set their sights on Jackson.

As for the move itself, I see no reason to be aginst it. Jackson did a lot of terrible things and Harreit Tubmen did a lot of good. I think it`s a hollow move, however as it doesn`t address any of the real issue facing the country, and is just us printing new money so we can throw a bone to the minorities and female comnetys so they don`t complain about the other problems they have for a while. I also don`t understand why people are defending Jackson when realistically I don`t think anyone really cared before they tried to move him off. There`s no Jackson musicals but all of the sudden people are making out like he`s this great icon.

It`s pointless to be agnsit, and while it`s great that where recognising someone likeHarreit Tubmen especially with the slew of facebook comments I've seen implying that people don`t even know who she is so she does need to be talked about more but I still find it a hollow move that doesn`t really address anything.

12. Link the Writer

You make a good point. While it's pretty neat to give Tubman some recognition besides biographies written about her, in the grand scale of things...how does this help our country's problems? Cynical, I know, but that's a really good point. Putting her face on a $20 bill won't make our problems go away.

To be honest, no one really gave two shits about Andrew Jackson. Ask the general population what they think of when they hear the word ‘Jackson’, it's gonna be Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5.

Kinzvlle likes this.
  13. Steerpike

I think it's a bit of a stretch to assume that anyone involved in the decision to put her on the bill thought it was going to make our problems go away...

14. Earp

Earp Active Member

Ask the same people about Ms. Tubman. Maybe one in ten thousand will have ever heard of her.

15. Shattered Shields

Shattered Shields Gratsa!

This.

Andrew Jackson was a dick, honestly. He was a veritable force of personality, and there are some good stories about him. But I don't like the Indian Wars, not a single one. Besides, he's just moving to the rear side of the bill, so all this isn't much to get riled up about.

FYI, Washington earned the name 'Town Destroyer' from the Iroquois. Take a wild guess why.

16. Steerpike

What's interesting is that you don't need any justification, other than historical significance, to have old white men on money, but suddenly when it's a black person you not only want historical significance, but some rationale as to how it is going to help the country. That's a double standard.

17. Link the Writer

Oh...

:supershock:

...shit...

I'm just gonna go sit down over there...

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  18. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

No single thing will make our problems go away. But our money acknowledging that women and blacks exist, and count as members of the human race, would be nice. Everyone in America above the age of, oh, thirteen, will see that face on their money, and therefore the establishment's acknowledgement that blacks and women have meaning in the world, many times every month.

minstrel and Link the Writer like this.
  19. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle Active Member

I actually just thought of something, once the new bills roll out, ib 2020 and I correct in assuming we`ll still be able to use the Jackson bills? I mean especially at the start of the roll out theres bound to be some Jacksons floating around, before they eventually get all switched to the new ones. I`m gonna assume they would stop you from using a whole 20 or at least allow you to exchange it.

20. ChickenFreak

I assume that the Jackson notes will be good forever. My understanding is that the government destroys worn and mutilated notes (a quick Google tells me that that's about 6 billion notes per year), and replaces them by printing new ones. I don't know if they'll accelerate the destruction of the Jackson notes, but I'm pretty confident that if you found a Jackson twenty even fifty years from now, it would be perfectly spendable.

21. Shattered Shields

I'm with Link on this one. Relabeling a bill won't solve all of our problems, not even the subtle sexism present in our society (I'm hoping that will just fade away in time). It's a gesture at best, albeit a one I like.

22. X Equestris

Yeah, but I'm not sure anyone ever said it was supposed to solve our problems. And at least this time, maybe it will stick. After all, the last time we tried diversifying our money (the Sacagawea dollar coin), it fizzled. Most likely because of the existence of the dollar bill. That won't be a problem with the Tubman twenties. I think it's important we recognize the contributions women and minorities have made to this country, and one way to start doing that is putting them on money.

Shattered Shields likes this.
  23. ChickenFreak

Who ever said, or suggested, or hinted, that it would "solve all of our problems"? Why is that even being discussed?

24. Shattered Shields

Uhm. Well this is embarrassing. I don't know. I was expounding off of what Link had said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.