1. bobjob25

bobjob25 New Member

Money owed!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bobjob25, May 16, 2007.

I have this person, he owes me a somewhat large amount of money (by my standard). I have given him almost 6 months to pay me. I am not a dick about it, I just remind him every month or so. He avoids me just so that he doesn't have to pay. What should I do? I could use the money at this point in time, but he doesn't seem willing to pay me?

We are both college kids and he was at one time my roomies. I have found myself in better times and I don't really 'need' the money but it would be a great burden off of my back as far as bills. I have given him a very long time to pay it off and I have taken into consideration his state. I have given him since September of 06 to pay but he tries to avoid it.

Now... I am not the type of person to demand payment. I am in a decent stance as far as money, and that is why I gave him time to pay. But now, when I could use it, he is avoiding me. It could be that he is broke or it could be he is stubborn. I've asked, but I have no response.

What should I do? I could go **** around with his belongings or something, but that's not me. What do I do when brute force is not enough?

2. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

hmmmmmm Unfortunately there isn tmuch you can do in this situation. I am in the exact situation with one of my sisters who has owed me 400 dollars canadian for a yr and a half and she has been avoiding my phone calls for the last 8 months. So it has ruined our relationship, and now I know to never loan money to anybody-especially friends and family.-good luck-if you find a solution pease share.

3. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

i never lend more money than spare change, as it never ever gets returned. same as if you lend someone your shoes, you never see them again. actually, a friend of mine lent my shoes a few weeks ago and i am still yet to see them again, that has wound me right up.
    sorry i can't help,
    Heather

4. bicker

bicker Active Member

Sorry but you're really gonna have to get in there face about it, its been too long they clearly have no intention of paying you back. If they honestly have no money tell them you're happy to except saleable items to the value of what they owe.

Seriously don't let up.

5. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I'd lend, and have leant money in the past, to friends and family that have been in need of it at the time. My friends have always paid me back promptly, but family is the worst! My mum still owes me money that she insists she never even borrowed, so I won't lend it to her.

When I borrow money, which granted isn't all that often but has been done, I agree a time to pay it back before I take it and I stick to it.

On a similar matter though, I did a sponsored walk for a children's charity in April and i'm still waiting for sponsorship money to a total of £78 which I have to pay myself if they don't cough up by next week... *sigh* you try to help out for charity and this is the thanks you get out.

6. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Well...y'know...that's why it's called charity. You don't get money or thanks, you just volunteer and give.

7. Frost

Frost Active Member

Go see what he has, and take what ever you want and say "Ok now we are square."

So long as its fair, obviously.

8. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Does that mean no pound of flesh?

9. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

Never ask for a pound of flesh! You get duped and striped of your pride! You should at least be more specific in your bargin for this pound of flesh...

Back to the matter at hand, I agree you're gonna have to get a bit 'mean'. This guy obviously has taken your for granted and if I was in your shoes I'd do most anything I could to show him he can't do that to me. I wouldn't go as far as putting a horse head in his bed, that can be messy, but I'm sure you get the idea?

10. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Check your laws, can you actually take stuff of his up to the value of what he/she owes? I had a flatmate that owed me rent money and when checked out with the police, I found that i could withhold her items up to the value of what she owed me... but this is in Australia.

Did you write up a contract or soemthing? If you did, you could actually tell him that if he doesn't pay up, you will go to the police. I also heard at one time that although not really substantial, any verbal agreement is a binding legal contract. But it's hard to prove it.

Ask him directly without beating around the bush why he hasn't returned the money. Ask him if he can at least pay you a hundred bucks a week or even fifty, Small amount but maybe it will work.

I have been in the situation where I owed $900 bucks in rent but the owner knew I was going through a tough time and accepted me paying in hundred dollar amounts.

I have leant money and gotten it back but I can't say that I have ever leant someone more than fifty bucks. If someone asks me, even a close friend or family, I hesitate. Then I would make sure that they can and will give the money back. Always make sure that you can and afford to pay back a loan or that the other person understands that you need them to sign an agreement. Sounds like a nuicance but in reality when people's money goes like that *snaps fingers* it's probably your best bet.

I have no Idea if this helps at all...... :D Best of lucka and hopefully it will be resolved. peacfully because I hear the police frown on assault..... :p

11. Onoria Westhrop

Onoria Westhrop New Member

re the pound of flesh comment. I think if we're going to quote shakespeare here, 'neither a borrower nor a lender be' from Hamlet would be the best line...

12. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I know what it is like to loan someone some money and never have it repaid and being a single mother of two it makes it really hard sometimes. But I will always help out my friends if they need the help.
    In light of your situation maybe you could approach your friend and come to an arrangement of installments, that way your friend isn't going to be left with no money and you are getting paid back over time, which is better than not getting paid at all.
    I know how hard it can be and money really is something that can cause a lot of problems for a lot of people. Don't let it ruin a friendship, just sort it out and give your friend a chance to pay you weekly or fortnightly, see how it goes and if that fails you are best to seek legal advice if you feel that it warrants it.
    Don't get into a fist fight over it though, as you will come out looking like the bad guy/girl. Keep a level head and go at the matter calmly and speak with your friend to come up with an agreeable outcome.

I hope you sort things out. Hope this helps a little.

~Torana

13. bobjob25

bobjob25 New Member

Well good news. I got about 2/3 of the money he owed me paid to me. I should have mentioned this earlier, but the money was from a rental deposit and for whatever reason when it was returned it came as one check wrote out to him. He deposited it into his bank and didn't even tell me about it, I had to ask about a month or so later. I ended up stopping at his place (he wouldn't answer or return my calls) and got him ot let me in. I told him I had lost all my patience and threatened to take his guitars. He lent me one as collateral and paid me the next day. He still owes me a couple hundred bucks, but I still have the guitar. So I finally have the uperhand. Thanks for the advice, I strongarmed him and then one day later I have my money, which is nice.

14. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Well glad to hear you got your money.