1. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

I'm in the mood for something creepy.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by CDRW, Jan 24, 2009.

Lately I've been in the mood for a good creepy story. All of the ones I've come across recently haven't been, well, creepy enough.

The thing is, it needs to be a special kind of creepy. (yes, I'm that picky) I don't wan't horror creepy or disgusting creepy. Closer to what I want is "mind screw," but that's not it either. I'm looking for a "mind worm," something that burrows in and won't let you think of something else.

So, any ideas?

2. Mello

Mello New Member

Ever read "The Yellow Wallpaper"?

I read it in school several times, it's pretty creepy. And the right kind, the kind that gives you mental images that won't go away.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Js there a biography of Michael Jackson?

4. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

HAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Funniest thing I've heard all week!

I find some of Point Horror quite creepy, but probably not in the caliber you're looking for.

5. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I've been trying to read American Psycho because I was told that it was way up there in the ranks of disturbing literature. I'm about 1/3 of the way through it, and other than a couple graphic and decidedly non-creepy sex scenes, all the guy has done is describe in detail what everyone around him is wearing. Oh, and he's said some weird things to people when they couldn't hear him. So far...I don't get it.

I recently read The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks. I don't know if it's what you're looking for...but it was a pretty messed up story. Some parts of it really irritated me, but it's not that long of a book. It's worth taking a look at.

6. J.V. Amaral

J.V. Amaral New Member

I know exactly what you are looking for... but a quick note before I give you the title. As with any story that has strong psychological play, you need to read it in a setting that is conducive to the creepy story.

I read the following 50 page short story one night while I was home alone, and it did "affect" my mind.

The Willows by Algernon Blackwood. If you've already read this one, I can post a few more. But this is tops, in my opinion.

The Yellow Wallpaper also ranks up there in terms of creepiness.

7. Darker Rarechild

Darker Rarechild New Member

When I was 16, I read a story online, I wish I could remember the name of it, but it was so out there and creepy that what I read has stuck with me to this very day and I'm now 22 almost 23.

its a horror short fiction, but it psychological horror. If I recall right, its about a man who killed his wife and left her body to rot in decay in his shed out back. The man starts to think that his wifes dead body is talking to him and causing him problems. He wants to silence the voice and ask his wife what she wants him to do and she has him eat her corpse. Not all at once mind you, either. No, he is forced to dismember the body and slowly eat the decaying corpse over the course of week or so.

It sounds like its disgusting horror, but its not written disgustingly as I recall it. The images he creates are not vivid or explicit, but man, just reading about what the guy is forced to do. :eek: Its a well written piece and if you can find it, worth the read. This story will haunt me for years. It is so awesome that I am actually jealous I didn't come up with it.

I seem to recall finding it on Horror.net and am looking to see if I can find it now for you.

If anyone knows the story and can help out in finding it, that be awesome, because I'd like to re-read it again myself.

8. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

That sounds...disturbing. And like something I wouldn't mind reading, actually.

You know, CDRW, you might want to consider reading through the Crime Library on the TruTV (used to be Court TV) website. If you want to creep yourself out, there's nothing like the actual screwed-up minds of serial killers to do the trick. Of course, this won't do if you were looking for something with a supernatural aspect. But I keep it in my bookmarks for when I want to scare myself.

9. CDRW

Thanks guys. Now I've got some ideas that'll probably keep me going for quite a while.

10. scarlet

scarlet New Member

Just finished American Psycho yesterday, definitly worth a read especially if you're looking for something quite disturbing. The Wasp Factory is a personal favourite, also got a few pretty gruesome scenes, but American Psycho is the way to go if you want something that'll make you gasp out loud.

11. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Try H.P. Lovecraft's: The Outsider.

It is a fine tale.

12. sideofko

sideofko New Member

I would suggest reading anything by Sarah Langan. Her stories are always compelling and scary.

13. Adelaide

Adelaide New Member

Lolita is rather creepy, I would say. It's also spectacularly well-written. Might wanna check that one out.

14. Maroon

Maroon Active Member

Hey,

I know this thread is a little old now, but if you're still looking for a creepy book, I recommend House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.

Honestly, it gets under the skin. Shudder, shudder.

x

15. CDRW

Hey thanks. I've just run out of stuff to read and was about to make a trip to the library.

16. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributor Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat
    I second house of leaves...it blew my mind.

17. Maroon

Maroon Active Member

I *know*!

If you liked that, you should try Steven Hall's 'The Raw Shark Texts'. Not the same kinda spine chiller, but similar in that it pushes the boundaries of the 'conventional novel format' right out the window. And works.