1. Mazamo

Mazamo New Member

Don't know what to write about

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Mazamo, Nov 4, 2014.

Right now I'm pressured on time, because I'm interested in trying out nanowrimo to write a novel. The challenge is to write a book in the month of november, with at least 1000 words a day.

I have no idea what to write about, and if I do think of something, I'm scared of my parents judging it or not liking something about it when they read it. I keep thinking of a bunch of mature subjects, but I can't do that because I don't know what my parents would think of it.

In books I read, I generally like character-based stories where the characters have very strong personalities, and perhaps psychological issues that they have to work around.

I don't know what to write about. I also keep thinking of a lot of romance that could be in the story, but I would be too embarassed to write about any of it, so I feel really limited.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Hi, welcome to the forum. Do your parents need to see it? A lot of us are not showing what we've written to certain family members. My son reads my stuff but I can't imagine him reading any sex scenes and I haven't even had the courage to share those with my critique group yet. Once I feel they are well written I will likely share them with the critique group.

3. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

You can try by beginning with a certain line/saying/phrase that you like.

For example, I was listening to a song once, and I checked the name of the album on which the song was. The name of the album was "Castles in the Sky". I thought it was a cool line, so I started with this. The first line in the story was "We're building castles in the sky." I started without plot, without any ideas, just with the phrase. With the process of writing, the ideas came to me all by themselves.

So if you don't know about what you want to write, you can begin with a punchline like I did. If you wish, of course.

I don't know what kind of relationship you have with your parents, but I wouldn't focus on them about writing themes. Write what you want, if you'll write something just to please your parents, the finished project probably won't feel honest, it will feel like it was forced. If you write about something you like, onthe other hand... well the result will probably be better/more honest/more enjoyable. :)

WELCOME TO THE FORUM. [​IMG]

4. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

No need for your parents to read it, unless they already expressed an interest.
    The fun part about NanoWriMo is that it's enough time to create a rough draft. No one doing it will have anything publishable without some extra time to polish it. Honestly, all first drafts suck.

If you enjoy stories where the characters take central stage rather than plot and it's about their defined personalities against a potentially hostile environment, there is no need as something as drug addiction. I mean, how lame would that be if the only human flaw was drug addiction? A psychological can be as must as an intellectual issue that goes against the social norm, or it doesn't work/work well in a current situation, or they want Y but the world only offers X.
    So, let's say Female A wants to be a doctor but because is female she cannot be one. However, a rare and unorthodox opportunity opens up giving her a slight chance for it and she goes for it but is constantly turned around because others and a system is trying to deny her.

If you like books centered on interesting characters, there's a lot more to it than just issues and flaws.

5. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

You don't necessarily have to share your writing with your parents. I don't know your situation at home but I had issues about sharing my work when I was younger. I decided not to show anyone my stories, and my parents respected my privacy. I knew some stuff I wrote would raise eyebrows - and I wasn't interested in making them like something just cause I wrote it.

A good thing to start with, if you're starting out, is to choose something your familiar with and something you want to write about and just dive in. Give a character a problem and a need and thats a good place to start. Take a look at your likes and interests and maybe find a story there. Most of my stories hatch from things I like, and things I'd like to read.

Don't be embarrassed, it's only fiction, and it's fun. Plus, one great thing about exploring romance is it helps you get in touch with your emotions and gives you a broader view - as you have to explore other genders and be empathetic to their side of the story.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  6. Young writer

Young writer New Member

Hi!
    Wow, I have already heard about this competition but I think I can never compete on it.
    I think that you can only write if you have something to say. You know, this amazing feeling when you have idea in your head and you feel that you have to write it. I also try write 1000 words on day, but I can not do it. One day when I have an idea I can write 3000words on day or more, but then other day I can not even write a word. You have to enjoy in your writing.
    OK, good, you have an idea about drug addiction. That is cool. Work on it. And do not worry about your parents. Your writing is your buissnes and if they do not like it this is their problem.
    I think that in one month you can not write a good novela. I think that is a fact. It is not enough time.
    Well, I would never can do it, but if you can - congratulations! Really, try with your idea drug addiction. Just start somewhere and then simply write whatever you imagine.
    Good luck and tell us how are you doing :)

7. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributor Contributor

The other posters have far more knowledge and experience in this, but I am wondering why you are taking on such a huge challenge? I get the feeling you have not done much writing before since you're struggling for an idea to write about. Even though it would lack the motivation and reward that NANOWRMO apparently gives people, I would suggest taking a smaller step first. Try to write a short story in a week, keep it under two or three thousand words. It could even be a chapter in something you have in mind for a novel, but completing a short story in a week is a challenge in itself. Tackling a large project such as a novel can be discouraging if you don't complete it and you might lose interest in the whole concept of writing as a result, in my opinion. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

8. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

To some extent, you have to believe in yourself, your skill, and your ideas, no matter that some people may not like it or even approve of it. Assuming you're writing in order for your story to be read, at some point, by some people, you must learn to grow a thick skin. And learn when to accept, and when to ignore, people's criticism. Otherwise you aren't gonna last very long.

My first thought when I read your post was: "Who cares about your parents?" While I understand our parents influence us greatly and even as adults we often long and need their approval and fear their rejection - all of that is natural - you still can't let that dictate what you'll write. When all is said and done, why do your parents need to see what you've written? It is yours and yours alone, and if you have not given them permission to read it, then they should not read it.

This permission is yours to give, your right as author. So if you're not comfortable letting them read it, then don't.

If you're embarrassed about the subject matter, then just don't show it to anyone. But frankly, why should you be embarrassed? Look at the books around you, and all the genres you might want to write in - aren't they in book stores, with fans and readers and selling very well? Doesn't that tell you there are people who think of these things, who enjoy these things, who might even love these things and look for them? So what's there to be embarrassed about?

Also, you can always release your stories under a psuedonym. (eg. a pen name, so your friends and family don't have to ever know, if that's how you want it)

My parents have never really appreciated the idea of writing. They both enjoy books, esp dad - he's very much into Chinese literature - yet somehow they don't see value in writing all that much. No clue how that works. Anyway, when I was about 12 or 13, one of my friends used to write stories too and she gave it to her dad to edit and comment. I thought that was so cool, I'd love some feedback, so I asked my dad.

Honestly, I don't think he meant to hurt. I doubt he even remembers. But he said, "Don't waste my time."

Ok, admittedly I was like 12 - my writing was definitely crap back then.

In any case, I didn't even react to it. I said nothing. I don't even remember what happened afterwards. I think we all just got on with our normal day and the mood was perfectly good and cheerful in the house. I'm not even sure I knew I was hurt.

I've never asked them to read anything ever since. Never had the desire to. I often read my work out to my husband nowadays, but if my parents were in the room, I do not read it out loud. I would write, I may even talk about my book in front of my parents. I've even discussed some writing and story stuff with my dad. But I've never shown them my writing, and still I don't want to.

And hey, I'm 27 now. Basically, this kinda hurt, it lasts a long time. But at this age even though I'm not keen on them reading, I don't honestly mind it if I did publish a book and they read that. That's ok. But it's taken me a good long while to get comfortable like this.

Having said all this, it's not stopped me writing.

So don't let your parents stop you either.

9. karmazon

karmazon Member

[​IMG]

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

No need to shout...

11. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Write what you know; write what you like. Don't overthink it, and don't second guess yourself. Just write. A thousand words a day is not insurmountable. Just pick a course and follow it. Other people cannot tell you what to write that is something you need to decide for yourself. All I can say is be true to yourself and follow your instincts.

- Darkkin, the Tedious