1. Depressing Jester

Depressing Jester New Member

Horus Heresy book series.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Depressing Jester, Mar 30, 2011.

Anyone here a fan of the Horus Heresy series? Anything from "Horus Rising" by Dan Abnett to "Nemesis" by James Swallow? It's honestly one of my favorite book series.

Discussion?

2. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

What about them? :)

I think some are well done, like Horus Rising, while others like Thousand Sons aren't so good.

Battle For the Abyss was sad. It was an epic battle in the warp, but no one survived to tell anyone about it.

Plus they tend to get little details wrong or change them for some reason. For years everyone has described Sanguinus with blond hair, but in Horus Rising he suddenly has black?

3. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    I love some of the books, iffy on others.

Horus Rising is one of my favorite sci-fi books ever. The First Heretic equals it. Abnett and Dembski-Bowden are two of Black Library's best writers and some of the better sci-fi writers out there today. I hear Chris Wraight did well with his Battle of the Fang novel and so maybe I can chalk him up there too. On par with ADB's Helsreach, which was phenomenal in my opinion.

Galaxy in Flames was another good book. Poor Loken (no spoilers on his fate, I know) and poor Torgaddon. My two favorite Heresy characters so far, along with Argel Tal.

4. Depressing Jester

I'm going to have to disagree on Thousand Sons. That will forever go down as one of my favorites.

I liked because it showed how tragic Magnus's fall was. And it was only at the end of the book that he was able to understand his truest fault. His own pride. This is why I like the series. It has emotional, in depth characters, all with failings. Personally I prefered Magnus's fall over Fulgrim's in "Fulgrim". Because the Primarch's with the tragic falls are always the best.

5. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

Hm ok you have a point. That did make reading about Magnus worth it.

The only Horus Heresy books I truly don't like are the ones about the Dark Angels and Lion El'Johnson. I don't know what it is about the Lion, but he strikes me as an unlikable prick that thinks too much of himself, rather than an inspiring primarch.

6. Depressing Jester

I'll agree with you on that one. Though "Angels of Darkness", while not a Horus Heresy book, kinda explained why the Primarch is the way he is.

7. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    I believe that is the point of the Lion. He is an unlikable, selfish individual with little social skills. HE was a highly successful commander but more through the application of his intellect and skill rather than his inspirational qualities. In many ways, he seems a mirror of Horus: a highly skilled commander and warrior, yet he lacks Horus' personal magnitude.