1. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Novel Your reason for writing your story?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by MilesTro, Nov 28, 2007.

What is your reason that people should read your novel? What do you want them to learn from it? And how are you going to make them enjoy your novel?

I'm writing a story, and I don't know the reason why everybody should read it? It's just about three characters searching for hidden monsters around the world to find out if they exist or not? I feel like there's no point to it, but I still want to write it and get it published. And I still want people to read it and enjoy just like me? But if there's no reason, then they won't read it. Are you having the same problem as me? If so, how do you solve your situation?

2. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    The reason people should pay to read my stuff is simple. I need money, and anything I write should be entertaining. So we both get something out of it. They pay my bills, I give them something to waste a few hours of their time on.
    If they happen to get anything more out of my novels then a few hours of entertainment, excellent. But as long as they're somewhat entertained, I'm happy.

3. lessa

lessa New Member

I don't write novels. I don't even write educational stuff.
    I write for children. I have a great imagination and I love children.
    So I write for them and I write for me.
    If I don't like what I write I would not expect others to enjoy it.
    So write what you would like to read and I am certain others will want to see what you see in this world.
    Just pass on your passion.
    What you wrote about your problem is well written and straight forward.
    Write your book in the same manner.
    But mainly write what you feel. If you don't feel it you won't be able to write about it.
    Go with your gut and your heart.

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I write 'cos I want to tell stories, and becouse I enjoy it.
    I've never been money driven in my life, so i'm not going to start with writing.
    I just want to tales and have fun doing it.
    Also, the wish to improve my skills is also a motivation.
    I don't care if people like my work or not, though I try to make it enjoyable and i'm happy when people tell me they enjoyed it.

5. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I write, because I enjoy it. I like to make up stuff and show it off to people. I guess I want the people to see what I like. That's the reason for my novel. :D

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

btw, this is the short story section... you may want to ask admin to move the post to the novel section...

the reason people should want to read my short stories or novels or screenplays or whatever, is the same as how i make them enjoy them... because i can come up with good stories and can write them in a professional, reader/audience-friendly way...

as for what i want them to learn, that depends on each individual piece of work, to some extent, but over all, as a philosopher first and foremost, what i write is usually meant to ultimately show people what they do, that they could/should do differently/better, to make this a more peaceful world...

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It has been moved. :)

8. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Yah, this should be in novels.

9. Robert

Robert Banned

Speaking as a reader, I don't read fiction in order to learn. I read to be entertained. There are many types of reader and they want to be entertained in different ways. What's entertaining to some is nonsense to others. Understand that you can't please all of the people all of the time. Which type of reader would you like to entertain? What are their expectations? How do you intend to meet those expectations?

Cheers,
    Rob

10. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

I don't think about what other people want when I do anything artistic. It's all about personal therapy for me - I take negative energy and invest into something meaningful like a story, a song, or a drawing.

11. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Fish swim; birds fly; bees sting; I write. It's not something I have a great deal of choice about.

I write different things for different reasons. Some for money, some for fun, some for special people, and some just because I discover a character that needs to have their story told.