Hating your writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Hubardo, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Senior Member

I heard that she literally snatched it from the waste basket and put it back on his desk. What a great wife. He owes her quite a bit, which I'm sure he knows.

VirtuallyRealistic likes this.
  2. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Wait, you mean you don't get the pot after the first spin? I have to write more than one draft?!!! :O

Hubardo likes this.
  3. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributor Contributor

Earlier, I liked my writing. Now, I hate it again. So it goes. :D

4. Saralyn

Saralyn New Member

It took me multiple attempts to start a novel. I hated my writing back then and "trashed it". To be honest I'm glad I did because something much better came along. In my current novel I've removed chapters and rewrote them to be completely different. Awhile back I was working on a chapter and it just didn't feel right. Sometimes it's best just to take a step back and reevaluate. I don't hate everything I write, but when I do hate something I take the time and go back to fix it otherwise it will eat me up. :confuzled: Now it turns out I'm going to need to include what I previously removed in one chapter, silly me. :bigtongue:

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Hi @Saralyn, welcome to the forum. That's a good point, all of us probably have bad chapters or paragraphs we toss. It doesn't mean you have to hate everything.

6. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

Wrote 4000 words yesterday. That's a lot for me. Usually I top at 2000 a day.

I don't like all of what I wrote, but I kept notes and made sure to return there later. This is what second drafts are for.

7. little_writer

little_writer Member

The same here. When I publish my writing, it seems ok for me. When I come back to it after a couple of months, I think smth like "OMG, what I was thinking of when wrote this???" )) I am like Johnny Depp: he doesn't watch his movies. So, I think it could be a good technique for those who hate their writings: just don't come back to it when it's ready :)