1. NoaMineo

NoaMineo New Member

Have another fun rejection letter to share

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by NoaMineo, Feb 1, 2011.

So after my last rejection, I think I got basically the polar-opposite.

This time, it is a full-page form rejection letter, printed on surprisingly high-quality paper stock, and signed in actual pen. By the assistant of the guy I was writing to. Five will get you ten he never actually saw my querry.

2. Kevin B

Kevin B New Member

I agree with you there. The assistant read your query, felt it wasn't right for what he knows his boss is looking for, and felt empowered to strike the quill himself. Don't you just loathe overzealous assistants. :D

3. NoaMineo

NoaMineo New Member

Oh yes. I'm kinda bummed, I had high hopes for this agency. Not too high, though, all they asked for was a querry and a SASE, so it's not like the overzealos agent had terribly much to go on.

4. The Degenerate

The Degenerate Active Member

In most cases, a query is enough assess what the manuscript is bound to read like.

5. NoaMineo

NoaMineo New Member

Yeah, I can't say I put a lot of faith in that sentiment. In fact, given what remarkably different disciplines buisness writing and genre fiction writing are, i think the whole "good querry letter = good novel" thing might explain why there are so many terrible novels available.

6. The Degenerate

I urge you to check out Query Shark. Probably the best resource for query writing available.

7. NoaMineo

NoaMineo New Member

Been there, done that, bought the tshirt.

8. The Degenerate

As my good friend Obi-Wan Kinobi once said, "Well then you are lost!"

9. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

It's more that a bad query usually leads to a bad manuscript. A lot of bad manuscripts get justifiably rejected without needing to read past the query.

You know, it's like the people on writing forums talking about their epic novel that's going to revolutionize best-seller status, and can barely string together several coherent sentences.

The truth is sometimes ironic, but a lot of writers simply can't write very well, whether fiction or a query. And a good fiction writer is simply not going to produce a cringe-worthy instant-reject sort of query. It may not be perfectly professional or follow conventional standards, but it's not going to be the instant impression the person simply can't write competently.

10. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Basically a query gives an insight into how well YOU can sell your book. A synopsis and query can only be well written if you know your story and have actually studied it.

Agents have already assessed the writing style in the first three chapters, now they need to know if you can hold together a story, keep tension going etc and have a satisfactory ending that readers will appreciate. Also if you have anything that will be an asset to them in selling your book. I should imagine it also contains insight into how well you can crit your own book.

11. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

A full page rejection letter - surely there are some positives in there. It doesn't take a whole page to say 'Thanks! But, no thanks!

12. NoaMineo

NoaMineo New Member

It certainly doesn't, but they used one :D The entire letter was just a puffed-up form of "we don't feel we're the right agency".

Anyway, I'm out.

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

noa...
    since you don't seem to have noticed yet, the word 'query' has only one 'r'... you may want to remember that, in case you ever use the word in a query letter, so you won't come across as a bad speller...

hugs, m