Have you ever fallen in love with a character?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Islander, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Wish fullfillment writing? I think loads of people do that....look at Twilight for instance.

2. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I wouldn't be surprised, Ash... :( For some people, that's all they've got. I know I used to cling to books because they were so much better than the real world was for me at the time. I'm sure someone has taken it to the point of romantic obsession.

Actually, screw that. I'm 100% sure of it. Check out fanfiction and slash stuff. It's ridiculous how many people want to be in a relationship with Edward Cullen, Harry Potter, and emo-rock crooners. I do see your point though --it would make for a good short story to write about someone who is so obsessed with a fictional character (or just a fictional world) that it has consumed them. :)

I've never been in love with a character, although there are plenty I grew to care about and perhaps loved in the same way that I still love my childhood teddy bear. I've cried when favorite characters of mine have died, and sometimes I've wanted to converse with those characters and pry about their brains.

3. Not the Admin

Not the Admin Banned

We should pull a Palahniuk with this story we are talking about. I mean, to this person, her characters are real, but in the end we just find out she's insane.

4. AllWrite

AllWrite Member

What kind of twisted question is this?

5. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

Only in a platonic sense. The type where you want to take them home, wrap 'em up in a cosy blanket and feed them bowlful after bowlful of homemade soup. :)

6. Lica

Lica New Member

Not so much 'fallen in love' but wanting them to exist in real life? Heck yes! And I think that is even the strength of a good story teller: making the characters truly believable and in some cases *very* likable, though staying away from 'Mary-Sue'-like characters is also needed.

7. BareFootWanderer

BareFootWanderer New Member

Alistair from Dragon Age...

1 person likes this.
  8. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

And then the character becomes real, and the writer learns how unpleasant that actually is :D

The kind you shrug off, then find yourself thinking about when you brush your teeth or walk to the grocery store, and you start lying awake at night thinking about it, and then it consumes more and more of your time until you're completely obsessed by it and you start writing a character to see if you can fall in love with it just to get rid of the thought.

9. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Ha ha, I didn't even consider fan fiction until it was brought up near the end of the thread, but that seems to be oooh so much about being in love with fictional characters.

I've never been compelled to write fan fiction, and I don't think I've fallen in love with fictional characters in the same way I experience loving people in real life. But I have had crushes... :D

It's easier to fall in love with people on the screen though because mannerisms and just a solid appearance are a lot easier to imprint on your mind. People in books are ultimately a lot harder work because you have to imagine them up all the time instead of having an easy ready-made image you may have/probably did see doing romantic things on screen. (Not in a dirty way :p Just that most stories have a love interest in them, particularly ones about the sort of people generally who attract crushes)

I think it'd be a lot easier to fall in love with one of your own characters because you just spend so much time with them exploring them in a way you only really would know family/best friends/lovers in real life. The moment you make a character do anything romantic it eliminates the first 2 options, so you have to think of this person in the *context* of romance. And a bit of obsession gone astray is hardly noticeable. :p

10. CosmicHallux

CosmicHallux New Member

This is a funny thread.

I totally "fell in love" with Aragorn from the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, when I was younger. I use quotation marks because it wasn't real love--but what is?

I used to be in love with Wolverine from X-men (yeah, I know it never would've worked in reality) and various other characters from comic books--but none like him.

More recently, I even fell in love with the narrator of "The Scarlet Letter"--and if that isn't weird I don't know what is.

I just fell in love with my own character today. We're in the honeymoon stage (though he doesn't know I exist). I'm all cheery and whistling. It'll be harsh when I figure out he isn't real. But, so is life. At least it inspired me not to throw his story out.

11. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

Yes. When it comes to fictional characters, I fall in love with actors on television mostly, but I don't fall in love with other people's characters.

I fell into absolute love with one of my female supporting characters a while ago when I was plotting the first part of the story. She was perfect. When it came time to finish plotting the rest of the story, I started disliking her. My feelings = the protagonists feelings.

He's in love with her in the first part. He starts falling out of love in the second part. :( That was a sad time, actually.

12. TheFictionalMan

TheFictionalMan Member

Joanna Dark from the Perfect Dark video game. The original one, not the new one for x-box 360. That strong feminine power is what gets me. Not truly fallen in love but I would say that I find her magnificent and beautiful as far as one could go with a fictional person.

13. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

Wednesday Adams was my first love.

I regret nothing.

14. Victoria Baye

Victoria Baye New Member

The illustrated children's version of Robinson Crusoe was the first chapter book I ever read, and I feel completely in love with him... I still think he's awesome. :)

15. rainshine

rainshine New Member

Aaragorn, strider, rohan, Darcy,Snape. Not Love exactly just awe of their personal qualities.

16. colinbeckett

colinbeckett New Member

There is an episode of the Twilight Zone in its first season, "A World of His Own", that is similar to this.

I don't believe I've ever been in love with a character, but I can't say I've been in love with any real people either, so I suppose it's unsurprising.

17. Jack Mackerel

Jack Mackerel New Member

Nerd lust? Yes.

Now, less creepily, a fondness of a certain character and dislike when a writer does something I don't like (like write them OOC, or claim that they're evil)? Yes. Very much so. I like some characters and get annoyed when people do something I don't like to them. Is it petty, nerdy, and stupid? Yep.

18. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

If by love, you mean want to party hard with, as in bro/sis love, then yes and yes. Plenty of characters - see Kamina, Applejack, and Rat Kiley. A couple of character's I've created just have a vibe I simply love.

By actual love, then no and yes. I'm allowed fantasies, aren't I?

19. T1p2

T1p2 New Member

Have you ever fallen in love with a fictional character?

I wouldn't say "love" actually. More like I fell in "like" with the character Piroko from Megatokyo. I'd say it counts seeing as it is the only fictional character that I have requested fan art of with me in the picture as well.

Have you ever fallen in love with one of your own characters?

It could be said that we always hurt the ones we love the most. And in some way I do love my characters, otherwise I wouldn't write about them. But I am not in love with any of them.

20. jnk1296

jnk1296 Member

Have i ever fallen in love with a fictional character? No.

Have I ever fallen in love with one of my own characters? That depends on the definition of the term. I've never "fallen in love" with a character. I do feel a closeness to my characters, certain ones more than others, but that is a combination of sympathy and a feeling that I can closest describe as what being a father might feel like. I love them, as in a I like them and would defend them if someone questioned them, but to be in love with them is something i will never be. I don't know how else to describe it.

lol, long answer I know. Sorry.