Have you ever let the fear of controversy stop you from writing?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Link the Writer, Jan 6, 2011.

1. flanneryohello

flanneryohello New Member

I definitely think you're worrying too much about the "controversy" involved in having a Muslim main character. Unless you're writing him as a terrorist (which it doesn't sound like you are) and glorifying his pursuit of jihad, I really don't see the problem. There are definitely positive portrayals of Muslim/Islamic characters in certain TV shows (off the top of my head: Bones, Lost, Community, Sleeper Cell), and I don't recall their very presence causing controversy.

I think one of the most important things about being a writer is having the courage to tell the stories you want to tell without worrying about how certain people might react. There is not one book in the entire world that everyone likes. There will always be a certain number of people who either don't enjoy your book or who feel offended by it. Oh, well. They won't buy the next one.

I've written two stories that dealt with potentially controversial (or at the very least, sensitive) topics and while I did sort of worry about how people might react, that didn't stop me from writing them. One is published, and it's my most polarizing piece of work. I have gotten a couple of negative reviews from people who were put off by the subject matter. On the other hand, I have a LOT of readers who tell me it's their favorite book. One consistent piece of praise has been that it's "daring" and "original". I think people appreciate writers who are willing to step outside the box a little and to try something that isn't strictly formulaic.

My other potentially controversial story has turned out to be one of the most important things I've written. It deals with sexual assault. I was nervous to share it with readers because I know that many people avoid stories dealing with that topic, and I also feel that many writers exploit or trivialize the reality of rape/sexual assault, and readers are justifiably wary about going down that road. However, I felt the story was important enough to tell that I swallowed my fear and went for it. Hundreds of emails and messages from survivors and appreciative readers later, I'm very glad I did.

2. Allegro Van Kiddo

Allegro Van Kiddo New Member

Are you just making that up?

In Muslim countries that base their government on Islamic laws, you can't draw images of people, etc because it's a form of idolatry.

Firstly, I believe Connery is a good guy and assume that he either came from a culture where it's okay to hit women, or his idiosyncratic experience made him think it is good. The Connery example is an example of a person/culture who has a very positive appearance, but may have a private thought process that's occasionally shocking.

As I've mentioned, I can't stand token minorities painted with the exact same mindset as the writer, who is not that minority. Being an American I know that many of my fellows belief that all people think like Americans, and that's just not true. It's wrong on many levels to portray people who were raised in wildly different philosophies like they weren't. In some cases, it would be extremely shocking to show the private thought process of such a person as compared to their public face. That wouldn't make them the bad guy, but it would be a challenging read for some.

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

A good strong Scots woman would probably slap him back :)

4. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

^ While I'm not all for physical attack, if a woman's being hit, she should hit him back. And harder.

Anyway, I think this all has to do with picking your own battles.

I mean, I've heard people say that those who are starting out should not try to write things that might be controversial as their first book. Those stories come later, after the author's gained a footing.

"Start small." I've always heard.

I hope I'm not blowing off your advices, everyone. I'm not. I appreciate them. :)

Here's something I just realized: I could give him an English-like name. Like he's Oscar Baitey. That way readers won't suspect he's Muslim unless I decide to reveal it through his actions.

Just a little other thing: I had a story where he's trekking through Vietnam with a kid he's rescued from a rapids. I just realized that "Action Hero Traveling With Asian Kid In Southeast Asia" has been done already with Indy: Temple of Doom. XD I suppose it's not too bad as long as I don't have my Asian boy going: "You cheat, Dr. Baitey! You cheat!" and doing the things Short Round would do.

5. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

In what way is the use of an awesome character who happens to be Muslim "controversial"?

Anyway, anyone who thinks of themselves as an artist but runs from controversy should be burned at the stake.

If Sean ever slapped any of the women I know they'd thank him and never wash their face again.

6. Forkfoot

Give him a Muslim name if he's Muslim, God dammit. Don't be a wuss. Most Muslims have Muslim names. If there's a good reason for him to have an English-sounding name, or if revealing that he's Muslim later on serves the story or makes for an interesting twist, then by all means do so, but shame on you if you're considering twisting your beautiful character to keep overly-sensitive hand-wringing types from getting their panties in a bunch.

1 person likes this.
  7. Elgaisma

Also he doesn't have to be Arabic to be Muslim. He is an American living in America no reason he had to have been born a Muslim or if he was his parents were Muslim or maybe one parent was and the other wasn't.

Also Islam has as many different divisions/sects as Christianity they will observe things differently based on that.

8. Link the Writer

My friend, you just gain a butt-ton of respect from me.

He shall be Omar Baitey! =D Born in Turkey in 1976 and immigrated to the States in the late 1990s/early 2000s to find a good paying job (or is a natural-born resident of the state of Virginia). He's thirty-five years old and has been teaching in Virginia for seven years.

For he is...Doctor Omar Baitey!

*cue epic adventure music as Omar poses in his plaid blue shirt w/ rolled up sleeves, khakis, and brown shoes. He removes his thin steel-colored glasses and smiles.*

9. PurpleCandle

PurpleCandle New Member

I like Omar better as well.

Most Muslims do have Arabic names because parents are required to name children with good meaning names which are usually Arabic in origin.

10. Link the Writer

Me too. =)

Omar Baitey: What were you thinking? "Oscar"? Shall I dress in British Victorian clothing and smoke a cigar as well? Oh! I'll wear a top hat and put on a horribly fake mustache as well as mangling up their accent. Oh, I'll pretend to be from Inverness, Scotland as well!

Oh no, but you will go to Britain and investigate a mystery that remained unsolved since then.

Omar Baitey: Gah! Don't spoil future memoirs! I haven't even begun gathering all my notes in preperation for the first one!

11. PurpleCandle

PurpleCandle New Member

Can't wait to read the rest of it!

12. Forkfoot

Sweet. I look forward to reading of his adventures.

13. Link the Writer

I know! It'd be cool, pretending they're really his memoirs. XD I see him writing it all out on a folder with college-ruled paper and...

Omar Baitey: I suggest you stop playing on your laptop and work on that, my friend.

14. R-e-n-n-a-t

R-e-n-n-a-t New Member

I would never let controversy stop my writing; in some cases I write something partially because it's controversial. I don't want to just ruffle feathers, but used as a way to broaden understanding and generate sympathy, writing can be very powerful.

Besides, just because somebody's muslim doesn't make it controversial. Unless you end the book by making the MC crash a plane into a building I doubt anyone will have a problem with it.

15. Leah Woods

Leah Woods Active Member

I'd have to agree on that. There's difference between Islam in different countries, starting with Bosnia. I've heard it said that people here are not real Muslims, because we differ in some things. What I'm trying to say is that your character doesn't necessary need to be Arabic to be Muslim, or need to have some name that's hard to pronounce. In any case, if you're writing a Muslim character, than give him the authenticity and don't be afraid of reactions.

OT: No, I haven't ever dropped the plot because of controversy. Actually, in some way, I like writing something like that, though to be honest it's not so hard to be controversial here :D

16. Link the Writer

I have begun his story! Just a page and a half though. I'll write up the first chapter and post here for critique.

I have in mind that he's sixty-years-old writing his memoirs of when he was thirty-five doing all the adventuring. (I know, it seems weird for the "present" to be in 2036 and the "past" to be 2011, but the story isn't about life in 2036.)

17. Leah Woods

Leah Woods Active Member

Congratulations then :D Can't wait to see it review room, I'm really interested right now.

18. Link the Writer

Just one more thing: If his doctrate is history and he would most likely have a specific field, how would I explain him being in India, Vietnam, Mexico, or somewhere in Alaska if...say his specific field was in Russian history?

Unless he was of a field that allowed him to explore the world. Department of Ancient Artifacts, maybe??

19. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    No. Most Arabs have Arab names, most Malaysians have Malayan names, converts to Islam might have any sort of name. Yes, sure, if a boy is called Mohammed he's probably from a Muslim family, but if it isn't it doesn't mean he's not.

20. PurpleCandle

PurpleCandle New Member

I would suggest giving him multiple doctorates. Also give him education in multiple languages. If you have ever seen the show Bones, the MC has multiple disciplines and interests that allow her to travel.

21. Elgaisma

Actually Temperance has an interesting Muslim assistant. He is fun to watch.

22. PurpleCandle

PurpleCandle New Member

LOL! I know!! It was hysterical when he got caught faking an Arabic accent!!

23. Elgaisma

He would be good for the OP to watch he was really good and highlighted issues whilst being incredibly funny :) Makes the point not all Muslims are Arabic :) The ones I went to school with had heavy Scots accents one was called Angus and the other Jonathan.

24. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

I think you must have encountered a bad source of information.

Iran is an Islamic country whose governemnt is based on Islamic laws. Let's take a look at their bank notes. Under Central Bank of the Islamic Republic of Iran we find this picture of Ayatollah Khomeini.

Or why not take a look at the home page of their tourism board, with photographs and drawings of people.

In reality, the ban on images of people and animals only applies to religious contexts, like in and around mosques.

You could also take a look at The 99, a comic book made by and for Muslims, in an attempt to promote progressive interpretations of Islam.

25. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

He could just have two names.