1. aqua_lens

aqua_lens New Member

Have you ever written a story about your crush?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by aqua_lens, Jul 29, 2013.

In which you and your crush are actual story characters and you can lead the story in whichever direction you want it to go? :cool:

2. Orihalcon

Orihalcon Senior Member

Hmm... I have an idea for a book I want to write. An important part of that book will be based on a brief relationship I had with a very special girl last summer and the aftermath of that relationship. I'm not sure she counts as a "crush" because it was a little deeper and more complex than that. She made a big impact and she's quite unique in many ways - in good ways and bad ways.

3. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

To some extent. Two characters in my and KaTrian's current WIP share a fairly similar relationship as we do or, rather, did back when we were still new as an item; that time of uncertainty when you don't still quite know each other and hence can't trust each other perfectly yet. There are a couple other familiar tangles in a few of our stories as well, but all the details have been altered to such an extent that if we didn't know the source of inspiration for these characters, even we couldn't connect the dots. We do that sort of camouflaging with pretty much everything that has its roots in real life, at the very least for the sake of privacy for the people concerned.

4. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Do you mean having a crush, not being able to be with them (or even talk to them), and then writing out the fantasy about you and him/her hooking up?

Yeah, as a kid when me and my friends wrote HP fanfic. It was all about thinly veiled dream wishfullment.

5. JohnnyElsewhere

JohnnyElsewhere New Member

Been there, done that. Who hasn't?

You end up changing the characters in the end if things don't work out. :p

6. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I've written an entire novel, when I was 13, featuring my bff, me and, this is incredibly embarrassing but I'll say it - the boys from 'Bros'. Does anyone remember them from the late 80s?

There were more swaps in that book than in the entire series of 'Friends'. I'd write it all night and then read it to her over the phone. We'd be having hysterics for hours over it, it was great fun :D

Since then I frequently use minor crushes in my stories, I just never write about the love of my life, because I am fiercely protective of that.

7. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Oh, geez. I remember handwriting serial stories with my best friend at the ages of 14-16, featuring our pop music crushes of the day. Hers were Beatles, mine were ...never mind. It was fun.

It's also when I discovered I would never be a writer, because I had to chop and change my words so much the whole thing turned into an unreadable dog's breakfast of crossovers, arrows, insertions, etc. My friend, on the other hand, wrote perfectly first time. Oh, once in a while she had to cross out a word, but that was it.

And then came ...wordprocessors!!! Yay. Liberated me. And because my friend was/is such a technophobe, it strangled her. I don't think she's written anything since.

8. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

[MENTION=53222]jannert[/MENTION]: That's so sad about your friend! She should really try to get over her fear. I was extremely technophobic too, even though I was only in my late 20s, I only used email a few times up until 2005. I was waiting for the internet to become more user friendly. It wasn't until I went on a sabbatical (that never ended, to be honest) that I reluctantly started to look around and in three months, I was having loads of fans on my blog with short stories. All it takes is a few weeks of determination,and it all happens from there.

9. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Senior Member

That was how I got started writing :)

The thing that got me through intensely boring labor was thinking of being with "my girl". I was also a much more productive employee while I let my mind go elsewhere. I still do it, but now it is thinking about the book the fantasy became. Book 2, really :) The character has changed since she and I never actually got together. The character changed; specifically into the girl I actually started dating.

Nine months later, she and I broke up, the day the book was published. Ouch.

It took some effort but now the female character does not have a face, that I can see, when I imagine her. It's weird but it works. :meh:

By all means, use real life people in your books, but avoid telling them if there is any chance you are going to use their character in sex scenes! ;-)

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i never had any 'crushes' when writing fiction, since i was in my early 40s before i started writing any...

but in my first novel, i resurrected a dead lover, combined him with a 'casual' famous one, giving myself a happy ending with the 'hybrid' and fictionally doing in my real life dastardly husband...

11. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Woo! Now that's what I call theraputic! I've always said, writing about what upsets you doesn't help much unless you CHANGE it! Boy, you really did. I bet it felt good writing that, and ever afterwards. Good on you!

12. mg357

mg357 Active Member

I have written 2 stories where the leading lady in the story was based on a female friend that I have, also I wrote a report in college about an situation I had in high school involving a crush that I had in high school.

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it sure did, jannert!

here's what i've found to be the best thing about being a writer:

'worlds without end'
    http://www.saysmom.com/maia/content.asp?Writing=161