Have you ever written outside your own country?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by OurJud, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Francis de Aguilar

Francis de Aguilar Contributor Contributor

Some great suggestions here. I certainly use google stuff, images is handy, find a street, a building to describe. I will check out couchsurfing.

Oscar Leigh, Malisky and Tenderiser like this.
  2. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

I have been there and even have some pictures. WIll message them to you

Oscar Leigh and Tenderiser like this.
  3. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

You pretty well describe my book, let me see:

Syria
    Egypt (Alexandria and Myos Hormos, no longer there)
    Down the Red Sea to Eudaemon Arabia (Aden)
    Masirah, Omani island off the mouth of Persian Gulf (Actually have been there!)
    West coast of India
    Taprobane (Sri Lanka)
    China, Mongolia, Bactria (Afghanistan), Iran.

The key is research, research, research. Mine is set in set in 1st century, so I have a lot of flexibility in describing some of the places. But research, research, research. Archaeology records, the Periplus of the Erythraean Sea, Google Earth and Google maps, and of course Wikipedia. There were some spots where I literally set Google earth at close to ground view as I could get and walked along my path up a mountain pass for 200 miles. There was a site where hikers walked the modern Silk Road, with video, through some of my places. Watched 'em all, used some of the scenes

Had to learn some Chinese and Bactrian phrases, the latter compliments of a PhD at U of London who gave me a bunch of vetted names, one phrase, and named my princess. He also became a beta reader.

And don't be in love with flashy detail. Less is more, when you really don't know the area.

Oscar Leigh and Malisky like this.
  4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

So, go to Italy. Get a feel for it. Is there a reason you chose Italy, given the fact that you've never been there? You can do all the research in the world, but nothing replaces actually being there. You want your readers to feel like they are there, and you are the one providing all the details to make readers feel like they are there. But you've never been there? Think about that.

The best resource is probably your passport.

5. Francis de Aguilar

If could afford that, I would do it.

6. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

So, save up. Take a train. Stay in a hostel. There are mays to make this work if you really want it. It's an investment in you and your writing. But, of course, it's totally up to you. I think your book would be better for it. Good luck with whatever you do.

7. Francis de Aguilar

If anyone who is familiar with Italy and speaks the language would take a look at the scene in question, that would be great.

jannert and Tenderiser like this.
  8. Francis de Aguilar

There are several reasons why this is unlikely to happen anytime soon. I guess one of the reasons I am writing it is because I would love to go there. At the moment, this is as close as I can get.

Spencer1990 likes this.
  9. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I think if you're writing about a very specific and well-known place, you really ought to do your research because a good proportion of readers will know if you get it wrong. But a random place in Italy, or the US? I don't think so. Maybe if you're one of those writers that goes in for lots of setting description but otherwise... no.

Spencer1990, jannert and Oscar Leigh like this.
  10. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Aha!
    Loophole found: Alternate Universe (Theoretical and Quantum Physics have my back on this one, right you respected sciences?)

So by technicality within the given (though probable) context I can say that I have written parallel similarity where it can be understood within the context of the OP. Which I will happily exploit as it is entirely more likely to be proven (as opposed to deities). Though in the fabric of the universe is a little bit different from our own reality, in the fact that the Eastern hemisphere is what is known as the mirror image to our own understood Western of today while being the exact mirror of our own globe in context. Ergo by definition with the infinite parallels theory, is entirely plausible based on the science. Though on the one hand a few minor changes have come as a result of a history that is unique unto it's own, given the similarities our reality and their reality exist upon. So take that OP, I have bested thee with something you can neither prove nor deny (unless you have the ability to manipulate time, space, and traverse in alternate dimensions. In that case you are one worthy of praise for you have gone literally where no man has gone before.) :p

Malisky likes this.
  11. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

You can do research in a few ways, including Google, Google Earth, reading works from the place, etc. I sold a story partially set on the Isle of Man, and when it was recorded in audio form the narrator was actually from the Isle of Man. He was sure I'd visited, upon reading my story, but I never had.

Going there is nice, but you don't have to in order to get the story right.

Tenderiser likes this.
  12. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

That's another way to approach this. Contact somebody who IS familiar with the place you're writing about. You can do this before you write, as well as during the process and afterwards. Ask them all sorts of questions about what the place feels like. If they are frequent visitors to the place they will have a different perspective from somebody who was born and raised there. It's all grist for the mill.

One of the strangest things I've noticed, when I'm in noticing mode, is the difference light makes to certain places. You'd think sunshine has the same effect everywhere, but it doesn't. And places like seashores and lakeshores will look much different at different times of day, depending on which way you are facing as well. It's more than just 'watching a sunset' if you're facing west, or watching the sun rise if you face east. It's a lot more subtle. The good thing is, no matter what era your writing is set, this doesn't change.

A snowy winter feels a lot different here in Scotland from what it felt like growing up in northern Michigan.

Of course if you're not using too many setting details, you can probably get away with not knowing a lot about the place. But it never hurts to learn as much as you can. You give me hope, because you love the notion of Italy, so you are probably already steeped in many aspects of the place. You can watch films set there, read books that are set there. All sorts of stuff available to work with. Do keep in mind that Italy is a large country, and there are many regional variations in climate, terrain etc. And I do hope you do get to go there some day.

13. Francis de Aguilar

The scenes I have written so far are set in Bologna and just outside.

jannert likes this.
  14. Vanthu

Vanthu Member

I wrote a story where a huge chunk of it took place in New Forest and Southampton, England. I during that time, I had 3 American characters who were visiting, one English character who moved to America 20 years before and is now visiting, 4 English characters who lived there their whole lives, and one French character who lived there almost her whole life. I think I got it right, because I don't think England is too different than America.

15. Foxe

Foxe Active Member

My story takes place in Paris, and I've only been there once for about 11 days (though there was an aura of fear since the attacks cast a blanket of fear over the city while I was there).

I was able to get a good feel for the city before the attacks, and I got the impression I needed to propel my story forward. This is my first novel.

16. Wolf Daemon

Wolf Daemon Active Member

Why must you hurt me this way?...

Lol in all seriousness maybe it's just me but I would need to visit the country I am writing in or at least do a LOT of research and have a pen pal in that country.

I would hate to have a great story fall short because of me screwing up facts about the place or maybe painting it a bit too stereotypical.

OurJud likes this.
  17. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Tell me about it. My WiP is currently located in Cornwall - part of my own damn country - and you should see the research I'm having to do!

Wolf Daemon likes this.
  18. Wolf Daemon

Wolf Daemon Active Member

That's one of the reasons I like Science Fiction, you can make any town, city, planet that you want to tell a story in. Although all research that goes into a town you may look up then goes into how technology would work so yeah lol.

19. PGWhyte

PGWhyte Member

Anything i can help with, let me know, born, bred and still live in cornwall :D

OurJud likes this.
  20. Beloved of Assur

Beloved of Assur Active Member

EDITED: Forget about this, I missunderstood the OP.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  21. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

My character has now returned home (to Manchester) but I may well pick your brains just to check on the details for the brief period he was there.

22. PGWhyte

PGWhyte Member

You're welcome, happy to help anytime :)

OurJud likes this.
  23. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

Yes I did. Whether or not I pulled it off ... I'm not sure but one reviewer said I was "well traveled." (apart from France when I was 21 and Majorca when I was 14, I've never left the UK)

I've never been to the USA and I've never been to Italy.
    Both my fiction books are set in New York City and New Jersey. Other places mentioned include Naples in Italy, New York State, Staten Island, Sandy Hook Bay, Colorado, and Long Island.

OurJud likes this.
  24. tropicanahana

tropicanahana Member

I'm from Long Island & NYC ^^

I second couch surfing and also recommend interpals. You can chat with people from any country, and even search by city/town... Really useful. I am sure you will find a bolgna local interested in giving you some local perspective or reviewing your writing for accuracy.

25. Mocheo Timo

Mocheo Timo Senior Member

My WIP is set in an undefined place. I'm writing it in a way that it will seem like a place in the US, but with city names (and perhaps state) being fictional.
    I've never been to the US, but I have many American friends and they give me a feel of reality there.
    There's media of course, but I always feel like stepping on eggs when using information that Hollywood teaches me about Uncle Sam's land.

I do plan on writing something with a Brazilian setting, and I feel it will have a special touch, since I've spent my childhood there.
    As for my WIP, I'm trying to focus all the light in the plot, so that the fictional setting will not matter so much.

tropicanahana likes this.