Have you made enough money for a sustainable living?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TrinityRevolution, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Writing "routine" is quite different to having a boss watch over your shoulder and needing his/her permission to take a break. I think the point is, as a writer or any kind of freelancer, you decide your own schedule and there's no one telling you what you can and cannot do, should and should not be doing, and just how something should/needs to be done.

I also hate routine, and I do not consider writing as routine. Sitting and typing is not a "routine" - routine must be a series of different actions done at particular times with little wriggle room, and this must repeat day after day after day. Get into work for 9, sit down, get coffee and check mail, begin day's task, finish off unfinished assignments from yesterday and meet 3 deadlines, check more mail, start to get bored and look forward to lunch... etc.

However it is true that your writing does become more productive if there's some sort of routine in place - what time to start, a target word count or page count etc. But writing in and of itself isn't routine, it's one of many tasks that will make up a routine. If you want a routine or not in your writing, that's up to you.

Bottom line, it's about being your own boss I think ;)

2. idle

idle Active Member

Maybe I see it that way because without some kind of routine, I never get anything done. :)

3. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

The number of writers of all kinds on my twitter feed complaining/worrying about deadlines has always suggested to me that writing isn't necessarily a ticket to full autonomy, and I do wonder whether an obligation to write creatively would take some of the joy out of it. Not that it's something I'll ever have to worry about in reality :p

4. TrinityRevolution

TrinityRevolution New Member

Don't kill the dream! ;p

5. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

Haha, sorry! Really I'm no authority on the matter, and it actually gives me a bit of schadenfreude to see that these people still have a bit of hassle in their working lives! And I'm sure it's still a very nice lifestyle anyway if you can make enough to live on :)

6. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

I'm sure it must be a very nice lifestyle for the 0.001% of authors who are so well known that they can write a novel every few years, the publishers will fall over each other to publish it, and it will sell by the truckload.

Although there may be lifestyle/work problems for famous authors that I'm not aware of.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sorry i misunderstood, mckk... i assumed you meant a freelance writing job...

8. TrinityRevolution

TrinityRevolution New Member

I shall continue my day job for many, MANY, years to come...

But that's okay, I don't hate my job as such...

9. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

I once got a short story into an obscure compilation of short stories.

They sent the envelope with the cheque, but I refused to receive it because it was collect and the stamp cost more than the cheque.

10. Motley

Motley Active Member

I'm a freelance writer and web developer, and I make a living from that.

I want to make a living from fiction writing, however, and plan to, even though I know how ludicrous the idea is.
    "Go forth boldly in the direction or your dreams." Thanks Thoreau

11. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

I make enough from my writing for my cats to have a sustainable living! Does that count?

Cheers, Greg.

1 person likes this.
  12. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

Money from writing? I barely make enough money from my "daily" job!! :)

But I have published poetry and prose in printed magazines, and a lot of literary reviews and articles, and actually received a decent amount of money for it... "Decent" meaning I could buy at least a few books and a drink or two. But I guess I was just lucky.

13. Cherrera

Cherrera New Member

mammamaia said: with what kind of writing are you making a living?

Most of the time I write fiction, but I also write non-fiction articles, various online publications.

14. mammamaia

congratulations!... you're one of the rare exceptions...

so is writing your only source of income?... how did you get to that level?... and how long did it take you?

i'm sure your success story will be an inspiration to all the hopeful here...

do you have a website we can browse, to see how you promote your work?

15. SRCroft

SRCroft New Member

It's similar to the artist life--not easy by any means. I think love for the craft needs to come first and with it the money may come. I would say find your own financial path; whether you stay in the lit field and teach, edit, blog, etc, or you get a job doing something else. Unlike most crafts that can make money now and again, writing is a bit tougher. Seems like you don't exist, then suddenly you are through the roof if you become a success. There are some in the middle that self publish, its not the direction I would go, but I'm sure it works for some.

I think if you love to create--it doesn't matter if you ever get paid. If you enjoy it, if you can make others happy (even if its not the mass public), then I wouldn't worry. Chances are the money would come with time and in the mean time be pragmatic and earn a living elsewhere. If you are living with parents and are young, take advantage of your time to practice your craft. Failing over and over happens to be the best way to succeed--its always one step closer.

I try to have a positive look at it. Writing is also precious. It lasts "FOREVER", I mean you immortalize work, and even to have a shot at trying to be at that rank is an honor and should be a journey to remember. You are the story.

As for me, I made money doing editing, or small pieces. Nothing that amounted to much--especially not in the creative writing field which is my passion. I work for big company as a User Experience Designer / Art Director, it pays well and supports my wife and kids-- and in turn they put up with my hours on end of writing. :)

16. Pythonforger

SRCroft, you are an idealist...

It's all well and good to write for the love of the art and to make others happy, but if I was offered five million dollars to give up writing forever, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

17. SRCroft

SRCroft New Member

You're right. I could never except money to give up a passion, nor would I give any freedom or act of free will up for five million dollars.

Take a novel as the allegory. The end is worthless without the journey. I don't judge anyone who would take the money, I get it--its a ton man. I'm not going to be a hippie and say oh man that's selling out, selling your book itself is a form of "selling out", that's the goal--just like bands. But I think a piece of my soul would crack if I couldn't write anymore.

So I know your saying I am an idealist, but I also feel your insinuation that there is a bit of false elitism in my words. I really honestly feel this way, and its not a judgement or insult to anyone. I think what your seeing is our difference in age here. Your 19 right? When I was 18 or so I think I said something like that about my drawing etc. At 33 I have years of the rat race behind me, I've used my blood sweat and tears to claw my way up to 6 figures--I will say that the experience I learned is I'm happier writing and creating a story. Everyone needs money, but as long as my wife and son are happy--that's where my money focus ends. I think people should be ambitious, go for the million, start a business, become bill gates--that's awesome--but if your a writer, don't get discouraged, love what you do until you get your break and do what you have to in the meantime to make money.

18. Pythonforger

I'm thirteen years old.

19. SRCroft

SRCroft New Member

You write very well for a 13 year old and seem very bright. My nephews are 9, 11, 13, & 14 and your point of view is completely valid, although especially with a bright mind like yours--your perspective will continually change. I'll be 34 in October, married, house, second kid on the way--I personally dont see it as an ideal as much as a value. I want for my children to never give up their passion for money. You have time and capability on your side. Things out there are rough, bad economy, unsure futures--but your strong mind--that someone can't steal. That said, someone offers me 5 million to lose a finger--I would consider it :)

20. moscowwoah

moscowwoah New Member

I've made some, but not enough to live off of.

21. serowden

serowden New Member

No. I don't make enough consistent money to sustain any quality of living, although sometimes I manage to make a lot of money somehow and enjoy life temporarily. I don't even expect to ever get money writing... I'll be fine the way I live now. I'd like to be respected or renowned for my writing after I'm dead though.

22. Robinwood

Robinwood New Member

Online surveys helps me to earn enough money from home, which results in sustainable living.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2013
  23. Cherrera

Cherrera New Member

mammamaia, I'm not going to answer the very personal question about my sources of income, because I don't feel that's appropriate here, but writing is not my ONLY source of income. I do have a blog, but from what I understand I'm not allowed to post that link here.

My name is Carla R. Herrera. You can find me on Smashwords and on Amazon Kindle. I have author pages on both platforms.

24. Cherrera

Cherrera New Member

mammamaia, I'm not going to answer the very personal question about my sources of income, because I don't feel that's appropriate here. But, writing is not my only source of income... I'm a very broke artist. A living to some is a pittance to others... :)

I do have a blog, but from what I understand I'm not allowed to post that link here.

25. mammamaia

i understand, carla... thanks for the info you could provide...

i asked only to let beginners know that it's possible to make a living only with writing, if that were the case... though it seems it's not, in re your situation, that does help to confirm the fact that it's not an easy thing to do and only applies to the comparatively rare exceptions, considering how many aspire to be professional writers...

best of luck with your writings... hugs, maia