1. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

Italics for names of games/objects

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by A.M.P., Oct 30, 2013.

Hey,

I tried searching about and didn't find an answer.

In my writing, my MCs play a game together.

Would the name of the game have to be in italics for the first time and then in regular font any other time? Or is that only for strange words or names?

Example"

"In far end of the park, Emily saw Chris and Ryan playing a game of Trips and Picks."
    Or
    "In the far end of the park, Emily saw Chris and Ryan playing Trips and Picks."

It's just a rough example but would an unfamiliar word (like a Latin word) or just a game you make up would be in italics?

I know I've seen the style before but I can't recall what the games were called. I think they had some made up name so it was in italics...

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I would say no italics. Italics are used for titles of major creative works (novels, movies, plays, etc) but not lesser works like poems or short stories. I'd just use the capitalization rules for titles and leave it at that.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto that!

and yes, foreign words usually get italicized... as do words you want to emphasize... just don't use it for the latter to excess...