1. Lucas

Lucas Member

Have you used a voice recorder to record ideas? Would you recommend using one?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Lucas, Oct 3, 2013.

Hi,
    I might buy a voice recorder to record story ideas. If you have you used a voice recorder to record ideas, would you recommend using one? What features (USB compatibility etc.) were most helpful to you?

Thank you!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I use a digital recorder with a detachable USB transfer cable. It's compatible with a speech-to-text program, so I can use it to dictate portions of my writing when I'm away from the computer.

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I've used a cheap one before in the car. I keep having to remember to transcribe my ideas from it when I'm done, though. I find it good for remembering song ideas - I can hum tunes into it. I recommend it. I don't use it much anymore, because I keep losing it, forgetting to take it with me, etc. I'm scatterbrained that way.

4. TessaT

TessaT Contributing Member

I bought one, used it once, and realized that I hate the sound of my voice. I have it still, sitting on my floor. :/ So, it definitely didn't work out for me.

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I tried taking a little digi recorder with me walking the dogs. I had no problem recording ideas and descriptions, but then I rarely got around to transcribing what I recorded. I might try again, don't know.

6. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Staff Supporter Contributor

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why would you buy an actual voice recorder when you can just record your voice with your cell phone? It doesn't even need to be a smart phone: my good old Nokia E51 had a great recorder. Then again, I'm not very picky, to me it's enough that the recordings are clear and you can actually make out what's being said (have recorded lectures from the back of the classroom with that one) although 99,9% of the time I use phone recorders to record song ideas, but I usually don't even bother plugging my guitar into an amp as the recorders (both, the E51 and the free application on my smart phone) pick up unplugged electric guitars just fine. The smart phone one (and there are a bunch of different apps out there, most free, at least for Android, not sure about other operating systems) even allows me to choose the audio format, so I can transfer the file (or e-mail it to myself if I'm at a school comp and don't have a cable with me). I guess that'd also allow the use of some transcription software, but I haven't had the need for that yet.

7. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

I never have, but I hadn't thought about the voice recognition aspect. I might give that a try.

8. criticalsexualmass

criticalsexualmass Active Member

I'm in my car a lot and use my cell phone to record ideas. For some reason i work a lot of story ideas out in my head while i'm driving and wind up dictating. I'm the guy you see driving in the lane next to you, talking like mad in an empty car...

9. LeighAnn

LeighAnn Member

I tried using voice recorders, but after losing four of them, I decided a pen and paper were my friend.

10. minstrel

This. As I said above, I've used a voice recorder, and it works, but I've lost mine (I'm pretty sure it's buried under the midden on my desk), and even if I had it, I'd probably forget to take it with me. I always have a pen and a pocket notebook, though. Those items are practically part of my clothing.

11. zabaar

zabaar Member

hi five! I originally used my phone to do the job but i can't stand playing it back too. It's sad because when my ideas come the fastest way to get it down is to say it loud like a mad mad (as criticalsexualmass has said). Using a pen & paper, i am bound to leave out some details, have not enough time or forget the mood/tone.

TessaT likes this.
  12. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

I'm with Tessa - I didn't like the sound of my own voice. But I would like to retry the speech recognition thing Cogito's talking about. I bought
    it back in the 90's but never used it much as it didn't work well. Though, I've heard it's improved.

13. criticalsexualmass

criticalsexualmass Active Member

I think speech recognition software would be awesome! I'd be all, like, writing a rough draft while i'm driving and stuff. I've thought about that a lot, actually. How much does that dragon software cost?

14. minstrel

My rooommate bought it and says it cost about $80. He hasn't used it yet, other than to test it after install.

15. Lucas

Lucas Member

Hi, this is the OP. No worries, it is not a dumb question! If I purchased a voice recorder I would mainly use it while driving around town. Therefore, I want a voice recorder that I can attach a mic too so I can keep both hands on the wheel as much as possible (I would have to take my hands off the wheel to press "Record" but that is okay with me ... ). The phone I have is really cheap ($80) and is not Blue Tooth compatible or anything like that.

16. madhoca

madhoca Contributing Member Contributor

If you think it would help you, why not? I craft words on the page/screen, so for me voice recognition would be a waste of time. I just can't "see" the story like that (I'm not good at taking in info aurally, either). However, I've sometime recorded conversations I've had with my daughter or husband about plots because we seem to kick up good ideas but it's not easy to take detailed enough notes while in the throes of debate...

17. Kathrin Doelle

Kathrin Doelle New Member

Got one on my Iphone, used it once or twice for other purposes (not recording ideas) and decided NEVER ever to use it again because I also hate the sound of my voice. I'm more the pen and notebook type of person. Has worked well for me in the past. Apple has got some good apps, too, try the Writer's App.

18. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Staff Supporter Contributor

Lucas, that's a pretty good reason, actually, didn't occur to me. Although, if you don't have one now and need to record some ideas while driving, most phone recorders pick up what you say fine enough even if you have the phone on your dashboard or somewhere else closeby. Just won't be stellar quality.

As for those who hate your voices: I know, I do too, but so does everybody when they're not used to it. I don't think I've ever met a singer who wasn't horrified by their own voice when they first heard it recorded. However, when you have to endure hearing your voice often enough, whether it's recording notes on a recorder/phone or singing in the studio, you'll get used to it. I think the main reason most people hate how their voices sound on recordings is because when we speak, our skulls and bodies resonate and that resonance makes us hear frequencies (usually lower ones) that mics don't necessarily pick up. Of course, studios can add lower frequencies later, but when it's just about recording your notes... who cares?

Lucas and minstrel like this.
  19. minstrel

This is very true. I'm a singer and I've heard myself recorded a lot, and it took a while to get used to. But here's the thing: We're blessed (or cursed) with the vocal instruments we were born with, and there isn't anything we can do about it. We can just do the best we can with what we've got. Once you understand and internalize that, you can tolerate, and even appreciate, the sound of your own voice.

If you're letting the fact that you don't like the sound of your own voice prevent you from using a voice recorder for taking notes, well, I think you should just find a way to get over that. Remember that everyone else hears you the way you sound on the recording; if you think you really sound the way you sound to yourself, you're fooling yourself.

20. Jocunda

Jocunda New Member

With today's technology, I honestly can't understand why people would still use voice memos.

You can purchase a smartphone for about the same price as a voice recorder, and you can write little notes on your little smartphone AND record voice memos if you really wanted to.

I always prefer to have memos I can read than listen to.

21. idle

idle Active Member

Well, even with today's technology, writing or typing is slower than speaking, and you can't very well do it while walking or driving, etc. So I understand it, even though I don't use it myself.

minstrel likes this.
  22. minstrel

This. The only reason I ever used a voice recorder was for preserving ideas I got while driving. I can't write or type while driving.

23. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Be Still and Know Contributor

i used the voice recorder thing on my phone to record ideas... suffice to say its not something id do in a rush, it doenst feel right

24. Dresden260

Dresden260 Corrupt Diplomat

Sitting by a Fountain, Watching the world go by.
    I despise listening to my own voice. It sounds so cheesy to my ears XD.

25. live2write

live2write Contributing Member

I use mine from my phone if I have an idea and I cannot write it down