1. RFrancis

RFrancis New Member

Having a hard time coming up with a working title...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by RFrancis, Apr 8, 2012.

I figure throughout my writing, my title may change a few times, but I am having one hell of a time just coming up with a working title! The basis of my story centers around these great beasts that people have to train to fight in arenas etc.. (without going into too much detail) It is a fantasy fiction novel.. I was thinking of going with the title "Familiar" but upon doing more research a familiar is a supernatural creature that assists the witches during the Salem witch trials etc. Even in other fantasy novels and such, familiars are more of a spirit than a physical creature.

so I have no idea ... ugh I want to keep it short and catchy, yet reflect the entirety of the novel. I am at a total loss.

2. johnbaxter

johnbaxter Member

Unfamiliars?

Is the book primarily about the beasts, or about the trainers? Without knowing more, it's difficult to come up with a title. Since you're just looking for a working title, i wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure as the book progresses, you will have a better feel for an appropriate title.

3. RowenaFW

RowenaFW Member

My working title is "Many". I don't think you can come up with anything more pointless and meaningless, but everybody knows what I mean when I say it. Equally, I have another story which I refer to as "the zombie story". It isn't about zombies. One of the characters possesses zombie-like characteristics, and I have sold it to people using this comparison - that is all! I woudl suggest you try to decribe it briefly and pick out a key word in that. Call it that for a couple of weeks, and if you feel awkward about it, change it.

4. Dryriver

Dryriver Senior Member

Well, let's play around a little with your story idea...

"The Trained"
    "The Tamed"
    "Beast Arena"
    "Beast Fight"
    "Beast Games"
    "Brute Arena"
    "Critter Fight"
    "Creature Day/Creature Night"
    "Circle of the Big Bouters"
    "Day of the Fighting Beasts"
    "Arena Days/Arena Nights"
    "Blow by Blow"
    "Big Stompers"
    "Big Bout(ers)"
    "Ring Fighters"
    "Creature Combat"

and so on...

I don't know if any of these make sense vis a vis your story. But at least I tried. :)

5. Erato

Erato Contributing Member

What are the beasts called? Even if they're just called Beasts, you can call the story Beasts. What happens to the humans? You can name it after a theme that comes up in the humans' relations, like Love Under Stress. You could also just call it To the Death, which would be rather bland, but if it's a working title you don't have to overthink it.

6. Pea

Pea super pea!

Don't think about it too much. You can always change it later, so pick the first thing that comes to mind.

7. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

The Taming of the Beast

8. Z. C. Bolger

Z. C. Bolger Member

Yeah, I'm with pea; don't be so hard on yourself. A working title is just a title to have on a story while writing it. Something to separate it from your other writings. I have a Sci-Fi titled "Alien" just so I can separate it on my computer from my mystery and adventures and what not. I usually find that I will find a truer title by chapter four and have one that I really like by chapter ten. A title should deffinitly not keep you from writing or take up any of your writing time because one is truly not needed until your final revision (that's when you should start freking out if you can't think of one, but even then an editor can help you with that decision). My suggestion would be to just to keep it "Familiars" or go the Prince route with the title "Story Formaly Known as Familiars". You will eventually realize your title as you write.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's a working title. Call it Opus 23 if you don't have anything better. Or Arena Beasts.

You know you will change it later. All you need is a handle to remind you which file to edit.

If it annoys you, you will wake up some morning with a better title in your head. Other than that, just choose something -- anything -- and move on. You have much more important aspects to ponder.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto that!

since it's only a working title, you don't even really need one... you could simply give it a number or a letter... or just call it 'beast novel'...

why are you wasting valuable writing time agonizing over a title you 1. don't even need and 2. probably wouldn't be keeping anyway?

11. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

Again, I agree.

The point of a working title is so you can get on with actually writing it. You will have a much better idea of what to call it when you are finished.

Call it "Bum" if you want, it doesn't matter.

12. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I agree that it doesn't matter when it's just a working title. Call it "Beast Foo Young." Call it "What I Work On When I'm Not Drinking Enough Alcohol." Call it "Albert Einstein - An Inaccurate Biography." It doesn't matter. As Cogito said, it's just a handle to remind you which file to edit.

13. Ultermarto

Ultermarto Member

Ah the title. My friend helped me come up with mine. Before he came along all I had were crappy irrelevant ones like 'Flare' or 'Reload'. Awful.

The name for mine was pretty easy. It's a word used constantly in the story, that is central to the story and that is pretty much unique to the story. Any words like that will do well. What are these beasts called? If they have a normal name then perhaps something relevant to the beasts, their fighting or the people's training. Or what is the name of the arena event itself? After all, just look at 'The Hunger Games'.

14. RFrancis

RFrancis New Member

thanks for the ideas. Im just keeping "Familiar" as the working title.. as thats what these things are called within the story.

15. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

are you aware that 'familiar' is what a witch's animal 'assistant' is commonly called?... so, her cat would be considered her 'familiar'...

i don't know if that will affect what you're calling your 'beasts'... just thought i'd mention it in case you hadn't known it was a well-known term for something quite different...

16. RFrancis

RFrancis New Member

I am aware of the definition of a familiar. This is still a working title for these creatures but I've come to realize why does it have to follow the stereotype? Also, it takes place in a fantasy world so the which trials didn't ever exist for these people.. So they use the term "familiar" in a completely different sence.

Just a thought, *shrug* :D

17. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Your working title should be Pokémon.

18. cuetip29

cuetip29 New Member

I love it when a book takes a relatively well known concept or object and puts a unique spin on it. I say run with it.