1. ibage

ibage New Member

Having a hard time writing. Looking for a new method

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by ibage, Jul 4, 2011.

Friday night, I got an idea jammed in my head for a possible screenplay. I was never really the creative type but I can't seem to ditch this idea. As of now, I'm working on formulating the characters first then working on the plot. However, going about it this way has run me into what seems to be a dead end. I can't formulate my thoughts when I'm actually trying to. It's getting rather annoying. I can't sleep and I can't get my mind off it.

Any suggestions out there?

2. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Write any potential scenes that come into your head and form the story from those. That's what I do.

3. ibage

ibage New Member

Thanks. I'm going to give that a go.

4. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

You're welcome. I find that works well for me. Hope it works for you. :)

5. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributing Member Contributor

I have to say that if you got the idea in your head for the screenplay, then you need to build up from that. If the idea was a setting or plot point, build around that. Don't just suddenly jump over the character development.

You just need to build on what you already have. If you're struggling to develop characters, just come up with their names and a few brief ideas. You can always change them (the names and/or the characters) later.

6. ibage

ibage New Member

Well then, if I had the idea of episodic plots with a main arc spread out over the series, any suggestions on how to work that out? My problem I think is I'm trying to work on the smaller arcs and associating them with the characters.

7. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

What do you mean? Is it the transitions you're struggling with? Or is it an issue of trying to make plots fit characters, when the case might call for the opposite?

8. cruciFICTION

Build bridges in the shape of fractals and concentric circles.

... Seriously, though? Just build bridges between them. Hell, if it's for screen, it doesn't even have to transition properly if the "episodes" are linked by similar themes and events and such.

I know first hand how blessed screen is in its ability to be experimental.

9. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

Change your approach completely.

For example, just write non-connected scenes and, once you have enough pieces, rearrange them and fill the missing scenes inbetween.

10. TedR

TedR New Member

You could try to focus more on the scenes and how the characters act throughout them. If you develop your characters first and then try to fit the scenes around them, you may run into trouble. What you could try is to allow the scenes to shape the characters, how the characters respond to different scenarios and conflicts and so on.

11. cruciFICTION

This.

The plot defines what the character must be able to do. A prime example being that if part of your plot involves Character A murdering someone, Character A must have the ability to murder someone. The plot can be manipulated to the right effect, but it makes more sense to manipulate the character since humans (as the prime subject material for most characters) adapt to situations better than plots do.

12. ibage

ibage New Member

So develop the characters as the plot moves forward? I think this is what you're getting at right?

13. cruciFICTION

That's right.

Basically, I'm saying that there's no point developing awesome characters if you get to a point in the plot where you want something to happen that can't happen because none of your characters are the kinds of people that would do it.

14. ibage

ibage New Member

I'd like some opinion on the basic plot.

The story revolves around a private investigator/information broker and his partner who is ironically a police officer. He's the byronic hero with ill-defined morality. He stumbles on a conspiracy involving the military and weapons testing.

I was always a fan of shows like 24 or at least, the earlier seasons. I always found myself asking how I would handle the situation and tried to relate. Being that the main protagonist in those shows is usually working as an official, I want to try making the main character in a position us normal people could relate to. It also gives him his own set of rules.

I've gotten four pages of script done but that's about it since I started Saturday.

15. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Just write it. You never know what you're capable of until you pour your ideas down.