1. BruMeister

BruMeister Member

Having doubts

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by BruMeister, May 25, 2009.

So I've been writing this story of mine for YEARS, constantly editing, rewriting, ect ect. But now I think I finally have it. I'm currently working on my latest, and hopefully final version. However, as I write, I sometimes feel that it isn't good enough in not only the story aspect, but how it is written too. Then again, I am a pessimist.

Are these feelings normal to have? To have doubts of how "good" there writing is?

2. ManhattanMss

ManhattanMss Contributing Member

The first of Toni Morrison's novels that I read was THE BLUEST EYE. In the back of her novel, she had an addendum where she explained the second thoughts she had about how it was written (which was pretty much over my head--I thought it was amazing writing). So, if we can take a cue from a Nobel prize-winning author, I'd say you (and I) are in very good company. By the way, I'm an optimist. But that doesn't mean I'll ever be free of second-thoughts about everything I write.

3. Rei

Rei Contributing Member Contributor

Of course it is. Most writers are pathologically insecure.

4. TragicJuliet

TragicJuliet Senior Member

I think it's normal, just like the famous saying "you are your worst critic". It's also why I think it's always good to write a lot! So you can expend all your "bad writing" mojo feelings on non important cute stuff then use all your cool talent stuff on the writings that mean something close to your heart.

5. Anir

Anir Senior Member

In a place where the forces of space and time have
    I feel like my writing sucks all the time. I'll write something and then come back to it a bit later and think, "Why the hell did I write this?" and trash it. But I usually feel pretty good about my big stories, the ones I have put time and effort into.

6. Dcoin

Dcoin Contributing Member

I usually run my work by my circle and let tell me whether I suck or not.

After that, have the moxie to make it better.

7. TragicJuliet

aww anir don't trash your work!! you should keep it so in like months you can go back and be like "Wow I really improved!" plus, even badly written things still have amazing ideas sometimes

8. Anir

Anir Senior Member

In a place where the forces of space and time have
    Yeah, I know, but sometimes it just is like, "Wow this is horrible and now I'm depressed." I don't always trash it, but I usually abandon it and don't look at it for months. And then I come back and say: "Okay, what can I salvage?"

9. TragicJuliet

Oh the depression of bad writing- I know that well. Or like an idea that you think is GENIUS and you come back to it and your first thought is "did i really think this was a good idea?" When that happens I usually try to critic it as if it wasn't even my writing to see what happens to it

10. JGraham

JGraham Senior Member

I believe we all have doubts like this. When we feel it just is not good enough. But it is normal, i mean if we didn't than we would just put the first draft out every time, we would not go back and edit and refine our work. Honestly it is probably a good thing that we think it is not good enough, then after all our hard work when we get someone that likes it, it makes it all the better.