Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Wildly experimental Contributor

HB2 and bills like it

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Jack Asher, May 10, 2016.

We missed this with the lounge blackout, but by this time I'm sure everyone knows about it. North Carolina has adopted a law making it illegal for transgender men and women to use the bathrooms and locker rooms corresponding to anything other than their birth gender.

Where we're at now:
    The Justice Department on Friday gave Gov. McCrory the weekend to repeal the law or risk loosing about 5 billion dollars in federal funding, under a title IX violation.

Now McCrory has responded by suing the Federal Go'ment for daring to interpret the law.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/10/us/north-carolina-governor-sues-justice-department-over-bias-law.html

2. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributing Member Contributor

Ah, ah! Don't forget -- the Justice Department is suing NC now too!

What happens in this situation? State suing government, government suing state? How does this get resolved?

3. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

The federal government just doesn't believe that transgender is covered under the equal rights law... so that sounds like something that will have to be settled by the Supreme Court. I feel sorry for all the college kids in North Carolina that won't be able to get college funding.

123456789 likes this.
  4. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Wildly experimental Contributor

No, no. The Justice Department's argument is that, because trans-women and trans-men are, in the eyes of the law, actual women and men; telling them what bathroom they can use amounts to discrimination.

North Carolina's argument seems to be "Nuh-uh. We should be allowed to discriminate against things we find icky."

But I agree. Hopefully the people of North Carolina will wise the fuck up and elect someone that represents their interests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.