1. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy New Member

New Word Inventing: Is this a good word?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by TheNewGuy, Jul 6, 2009.

Hi everyone. It's been a long time since I've been very active, but not that long ;).

I'm inventing a word, or wondering if there's another word I could use here.

The word is "Sarcasticitian." The meaning is a person who uses and/or crafts sarcastic arguments.

The sentence I use it in is as follows:
    He was not in any immediate danger. Probably, his inner sarcasticitian pointed out.

Now, I need to know if it sounds okay and if the spelling is alright. Also, if you think a different word could be used (I know there can be one, but :p), please point it out. Thanks guys!

2. arron89

arron89 Banned

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but that's a terrible word. I'm still not even sure I'm pronouncing it right (sarcasti-sishun?), and the way its constructed (especially with regard to its entymology) is pretty unclear...maybe keep playing with different derivations until you find one that's clearer...

Also, the way you use probably there isn't really sarcastic. If the "inner sarcasticitian" said "nah, he'll be fine", that would be sarcasm. Which is a form of irony. Saying one thing and meaning another. Not saying one thing and meaning that thing.

3. Necromortis

Necromortis New Member

I thought the etymology was pretty clear - 'sarcastic' + 'technician,' although you did you '-ition' instead of '-icion,' which I may consider changing. Sarcasticicion just doesn't look right though. *shrug*

Either way, it's a little awkward. I'd avoid making up words like that (just personal opinion there though). I also agree with the above poster that the context isn't particularly sarcastic at all.

~Christian

4. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

I agree with what others have said.

Here's what I might have written instead:

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you seem to have been reaching for 'sarcasmist' but missed...

6. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy New Member

lol thanks guys it's a done project now I think ;)