Heart of Star Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by losthawken, Nov 25, 2011.

1. W.H. Clay

W.H. Clay New Member

I can already tell you did a great job with the character building on Bear. Love It!

2. Shadow Reeves

Shadow Reeves Active Member

On a plane filled with Motherf**king Snakes.
    I have a Title

Hello!
    glad to finally see another sci-fi RPG up that has a great plot.

just a suggestion guys. before you post in the story, click 'Go Advanced' and add your character as the title. it makes for easy reading especially if you are starting with someone else's quote.

3. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

I agree with Reeves, that's a good idea.

4. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Posting now. Just a question on the ships do they have a general design or can we be creative?

5. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

The all powerful game master.

That's brilliant Reeves!

Keep up the good work all, I'll be bringing in the next transition on Monday I think. Keep it up till then.

Just in time Mr Mr! I was just about to ask where you were. As to ship design, other than that most ship make use of shard based energy sails (tach fields) its all up to you.

6. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Do you mean they look like sailing ships? or just have sails. (and this sound very steampunky :D)

7. losthawken

I just like sails (and steampunk). I don't want to go as far as the disney movie "Treasure planet" but be creative without bending too many rules of physics.

8. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Double post

9. W.H. Clay

W.H. Clay New Member

Shards can also be used for energy correct? Like batteries?

10. Question

Question Active Member

I'm picturing like a giant energy kite that pulls the craft through space. Kind of like what wake boarders use but actually pulling the craft through the air.

11. W.H. Clay

W.H. Clay New Member

I posted part of Eric Reese's bio if anyone is interested in reading it. The link is https://www.writingforums.org/entry.php?b=62690 , set in the galaxy envisioned by losthawken.

12. Forgotten_Memories

Forgotten_Memories Active Member

What is with the double posts?! I think it has to do with Google Chrome...

By the way, I have changed my character's name to Gabriella, instead of Gabrielle, because I think it suits the surname better - haha!

13. losthawken

Sorry Bear can't address everyone's comments. Your all doing great. The last post was made to keep things going until tomorrow when I can write up the transition and to buy more time for character dev the late comers like Honor.

I've changed the characters a little since the first version of the game but some of you may remember what is coming next...

**Edit**
    Oh and Mr Mr, you overstepped a little by having Bear tell your char to sit down. Just be careful not to control other characters (or feel the wrath of the specters! ;) )

14. W.H. Clay

W.H. Clay New Member

Just to clear any possible confusion Eric does not have a robotic arm, he has a large rounded metallic bracer with a shard and small tach rods on the top, and his AI/View-screen on the bottom. Not that he would, but he could take it off at will. Jax Roberts on the other hand has a robotic arm that starts at his shoulder.

15. losthawken

As to the question about shards as batteries, I never pictured just being able to plug wires into them to get power. I think you would need at least a small device involved to convert a sub-quantum amount of matter into energy... But these details are again trivial to the game play. Just more detail for those interested.

16. Shadow Reeves

i love treasure planet!

17. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

Hi Guys! Just wanna say that I'm excited about this! Just gotta think up exactly how I want my character...

Also, I really really want to see this one through, but I also feel the need to warn that I'm not sure how hectic my schedule next semester is going to be, so just how much I can contribute is kinda up in the air at the moment...

18. Shadow Reeves

things generally slow down after a few weeks,

19. Question

Question Active Member

Alright just posted Jax's plan for taking a ship. Feel free for your characters to voice their opinions on it.

20. losthawken

Sorry to disrupt your plans all, I meant to throw this at you before you started to get a real plan together.

New goals:

1) Save Eric Reese's ass

2) Get to the shipyard. I don't care how you do it but be together by the end. You will find the majority of ships have been destroyed. I will provide transport off the planet once you get to the shipyard

3) Fight some specters along the way, I hope I've provided enough information for you to make up your own fights with them. They tend to take on animal like shapes when in atmosphere, can fly, run, and do just about anything.

Good luck...

21. losthawken

There's been a lot of discussion to catch up on...

Yeah I love treasure planet too. It was one of the many inspirations for this universe.

Honor, don't worry and jump in whenever you are ready. I've got ways to make it work at almost any stage.

Shadow is right about how these things slow down. The trick is to find a workable groove once the initial excitement fades. If it peters out like most games then that's fine, the initial excitement and fun in every post is worth it to me.

22. losthawken

There's been a lot of discussion to catch up on...

Yeah I love treasure planet too. It was one of the many inspirations for this universe.

Honor, don't worry and jump in whenever you are ready. I've got ways to make it work at almost any stage.

Shadow is right about how these things slow down. The trick is to find a workable groove once the initial excitement fades. If it peters out like most games then that's fine, the initial excitement and fun in every post is worth it to me.

23. W.H. Clay

W.H. Clay New Member

Sorry Im a detail person so I have a question simply for my own enjoyment. (Feel free to completely disregard this discussion in your posts, do not feel obliged to follow these advanced shard principles. I am simply a sci-fi nut fascinated with the concepts losthawken has created.)

The blows knocked Andrmoeda about threatening to divert her course, and pummeled her field as they rematerialized into dust on impact with her field.

(De-energizing/defensive shield – These fields convert any energy including, laser blasts and kinetic energy, into matter.)
    The De-Energizing fields convert energy into matter. So what happens when matter hits the shield? does it get broken down (ex. a bullet would get broken down into powder that harmlessly falls) maybe converted into energy that gets harmlessly dispersed across the field? Or does it pass through harmlessly?

In the case of specters being made of energy from the shards maybe when they physically attack (ex. punch, stab) the radiation is too focused to be affected by De-energizing fields the way most forms of energy do and instead they clash with each other not allowing the other through. The alternative would be that when A specter attack the shield his fist/claw would get rematerialized into dust. If you made the beast go through the shield it would be killed, turned to dust.

On a side note,
    If they 'shoot' a shield it is affected just like everything else because its not in direct contact with the shards.

will edit my post accordingly....

24. losthawken

My interpretation was that matter hitting a defensive shield would have its kinetic energy converted into more matter. This could break down the object, or just stop it dead matrix style.

Yes, specter energy would be re-materialized, however as you will learn, specters are in fact living shards they would (with some lag time) regenerate their energy and kill you. No one has been able to destroy a specter's internal shards, but they have been observed to create and enlarge their own shards.

25. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

Do the specters have skin? Or are they simply shards and energy?