Heart of Star v2.0

Discussion in 'Archive' started by losthawken, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Forgotten_Memories

Forgotten_Memories Active Member

Gabriella Escalante

“Drop all yer weapons. If you sit quiet I'll drop you in Cerelin, back in the borderland system, but there ain't no way I'm taking you to the outer rim like that fool Bear wanted. Anybody that objects can take your chances with the specters,”

Gabriella holstered her handgun and tach rod before taking off the goggles strung across her face. Two paler circles surrounded her eyes as the dirt and dust from the chaos only moments ago had built up around the spectacles. Any other day she would've happily accepted a ride to Cerelin after such an incident, but not today. Their mission was now in the hands of this man, because he had a ship, and there was no way she was going to let him simply drop them off in the opposite direction.

Artemus Antair, where had she heard that name before? He said he was a researcher, and by the look of him, he didn't seem to be doing too well either - balding, thin, hoarse; the man could barely dress himself properly, which is why he wore a cloak. The outdated shard rifle just completed the picture. Gabby thought she had a bargaining chip.

"Relax, we're not here to cause any problems," she gave Jax a warning glare and then took a good look at their surroundings. "How much does a ship like this cost to maintain?"

2. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

Artemus Antair

"How much does a ship like this cost to maintain?"

Artemus sneered, “It costs less than a trip into hell with a bunch of scoundrels and privateers. Not that there isn't work to be done for someone less inclined to such foolishness.”

Artemus looked past the girl to the injured star seeker being tended to by a pair of medics.

“That one looks worse for wear. I've got a small infirmary back this way. You girls can move him along, but no funny business. The rest of you stay-”

“Doctor,” the ship's voice interrupted. “We are nearing the position on the opposite end of the planet, shall I accelerate to escape velocity?”

“Yes, of course,” the scientist replied. “We're not out of the woods yet. Like I said, you two move the injured to the infirmary, the rest stay... No come with to the helm, I'd rather have you shoot me to my face than take one in the back.”

With that he turned and disappeared leaving the door behind him open.

3. Question

Question Active Member

Jax Roberts

“Drop all yer weapons. If you sit quiet I'll drop you in Cerelin, back in the borderland system, but there ain't no way I'm taking you to the outer rim like that fool Bear wanted. Anybody that objects can take your chances with the specters,”

Curse Hawkins, this little mission was going to get us all killed.
    But Jax knew what was at stake; he knew the reason Hawkins had been in the outer rim. Hawkins had already escaped him once and Jax would be damned If he did it again. The only reason he joined this party was because Bear had the coordinates of his last location.

Jax sneered at the man pointing a second rate tach rifle in his face. He was pretty sure he could take that rifle and shoot him befor he could blink. But something about the mans stealy gaze stopped him. He looked more like some of the beggars wandering the streets back on Serepten then some company researcher. This man clearly hadn’t been paid in a while, and that may be just the angle Jax needed.

"How much does a ship like this cost to maintain?"

Gabriella must have been thinking the same thing. Jax was becoming more interested by her. Jax eyed her; she had firm but slender looking body, and smooth mocha colored skin. She was pretty, if not a little older. And she definitely wasn’t just an ordinary medic.

Artemus sneered, “It costs less than a trip into hell with a bunch of scoundrels and privateers. Not that there isn't work to be done for someone less inclined to such foolishness.”

Jax turned his attention back to Artemus. Well if he wouldn’t cooperate they could always take the ship by force.

Jax glanced back at the rest of the group. The giant with the drill stood over in the corner and was contrasted by Gerty’s short stature. Eric lay unconsious on the ground between them. That was sheer luck, releasing their sail like that to fly up into the ship, they could have missed the entrance completely.

We're not out of the woods yet. Like I said, you two move the injured to the infirmary, the rest stay... No come with to the helm, I'd rather have you shoot me to my face than take one in the back.”

A small smile spread across Jax face, as he followed him through the door. He was beginning to like this Artimus.

4. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

Andrea Dawson

What was I thinking? That was Andrea's first coherent thought after running through the burning, dying port town. Somehow she had gotten through with only a few minor cuts and scratches. Between buildings she had glimpsed specters and passed mangled, dead bodies. Each person she passed felt like a punch in the gut-it was so wrong not to try and help them. But most, if not all, of them were already dead and she knew that stopping to try and help in her defenseless state would probably just get her killed. So on she ran until she reached the ship with the AI telling any survivors to board. The other people from the bar were rushing on board as well and she slunk into a corner, hoping not to be noticed. No doubt these experienced, brave shard seekers had tried to fight some of the specters rather than running by.

The cargo hold was dark for a few seconds then the AI began to speak again, but was cut off by a gruff voice.

From her position in the corner, Andrea didn't have a good view of what was going on-the curse of being short. She heard what sounded like weapons falling to the ground, then the other medic's voice, Gabriella, speaking.

"Relax, we're not here to cause any problems. "How much does a ship like this cost to maintain?"

"It costs less than a trip into hell with a bunch of scoundrels and privateers. Not that there isn't work to be done for someone less inclined to such foolishness.”

It was as Artemus spoke that Andrea noticed Eric near the door. Most of the company seemed to have arrived at the ship without serious injury, except for him. Trying not to make a noise, Andrea slipped over to Eric's side and knelt over him. There was blood everywhere and what looked to be a few broken bones. Hopefully that was the worst of it.

“That one looks worse for wear. I've got a small infirmary back this way. You girls can move him along, but no funny business. The rest of you stay-”

It was as if he had heard her thoughts. She looked down at Eric again, not knowing what was potentially broken she hated to move him, but she also knew that she could examine him and take care of him much better in a proper infirmary. Scanning him quickly she decided it was best to move him as he didn't appear to have severe injury to his neck.

“We're not out of the woods yet. Like I said, you two move the injured to the infirmary, the rest stay... No come with to the helm, I'd rather have you shoot me to my face than take one in the back.”

Carefully Andrea slid her arms under Eric's head, bracing in in the position it was in so as not to worsen an injuries. Normally she hated addressing crowds, but right now that fear was gone, replaced by the confidence she felt when she was in her element as a medic.

"I need someone to help me carry him to the infirmary. Carefully."

5. losthawken

Artemus Antair

Artemus led the way through a narrow corridor and up a flight of stairs to the helm. The ship was cramped inside, but well lit. He kept a firm grip on his weapon, and a close eye on the refugees that followed him. He had no trust for these people, but at the moment he had to focus on getting off the planet alive.

"Leonardo, punch up the planet in position with its largest moon. Mark the position of the settlement and our current coordinates on the surface."

The computer obliged and a 3D display appeared in the main view screen in front of the shuttle's front windows. Outside the desert landscape could be seen racing by as they traveled a breakneck speed across the planet.

Artemus raised his hand and touched the point on the planet marking their location. "Set a course away from the planet while shielding us from the far side by passing behind the moon. Then run like Hell"

As he spoke he traced a line that was marked by a luminescent thread across the path he intended. Several of his guests arrived behind him. More specters would be waiting outside the atmosphere above the outpost; he knew from experience. They had to be very careful if they wanted to escape in once piece.

The infirmary was within earshot of the helm, Artemus could hear the scuffling as the wounded man was moved that way. For a moment he wished he hadn't replaced most of the equipment there with his research instruments. But then, he was sure they would find enough to patch the fellow up until they got to Cerelin.

"They had better not break anything back there," he thought to himself as he continued to plot their escape.

6. Forgotten_Memories

Gabriella Escalante

"It costs less than a trip into hell with a bunch of scoundrels and privateers. Not that there isn't work to be done for someone less inclined to such foolishness.”

Artemus spoke again before Gabriella could bring up a counter argument. “That one looks worse for wear. I've got a small infirmary back this way. You girls can move him along, but no funny business. The rest of you stay-”

Even though tending to people was what she did, Gabriella couldn't just sit there and accept the fact that they were going to give up on the mission. She caught Jax eyeing her up. It was always nice to receive attention from younger guys - even if they were slimy pirates. But there was a sort of look in his eye, as if he had a plan.

"-No come with to the helm, I'd rather have you shoot me to my face than take one in the back.”

A grin spread across Jax's face, and Gabriella thought that at this point, even the help of a scoundrel would do.

"I need someone to help me carry him to the infirmary. Carefully."

Gabriella turned around as more of the shard seekers shuffled past to follow the researcher to the helm. The innocent medic girl from the bar was attempting to lift the scientist, who had barely made it onboard the ship. The man looked extremely rough, bleeding everywhere, a couple of broken bones. A few others were injured, but nothing like this guy. Gabriella made her way over and knelt beside them. This was going to be difficult, and she would have to leave the negotiations to the others. Hopefully they all had a good enough reason to be here.

She carefully got next to the man and placed his arm over her shoulder. Together, her and the other medic lifted and brought him to the infirmary, where they placed him on the only table that seemed to be empty. The entire room was covered with what looked like research instruments. Gabriella came to the conclusion that a lone man didn't have much use for an infirmary.

"Alright, let's see what we have here." She strung the goggles back around her head.

7. yellowm&M

Andrea Dawson

The other medic walked over and the two of them carefully carried the injured man down the hallway and into the infirmary. They laid him down on an empty table. Andrea glanced around the room to see what medical equipment the infirmary held. However it seemed to mainly house reseach instruments and wouldn't be much help.

"Alright, let's see what we have here."

On the other side of the table the other medic put on her goggles and began examining the injured for his more severe injuries. Reaching into her bag, Andrea pulled out some gauze and began to gently clean the blood off of him and patch up the cuts and scratches that were still bleeding. She quickly fell into the calming rythm of helping someone. With all the chaos outside it was almost relaxing to do something that was familar and normal.

8. Forgotten_Memories

Gabriella Escalante

"Michael, I want a full body scan, stat."

The AI turned her goggles back to the X-Ray vision, as well as initiating a vitals scan on the side. The scan highlighted several areas, reading short reports for them in the corner of Gabriella's view. Broken left arm and dislocated left shoulder. The scientist's right arm was alright because the contraption he had strapped to it seemed to have taken most of the blow. His legs were just heavily bruised, but showed no sign of break or fracture. The man's heart rate was a bit high, probably because he was in panic about what happened to him.

"Scan complete." Michael spoke gleefully.

The scientist was lucky, having smashed into a brick wall at such a high speed and only come out with these sorts of injuries. Gabriella walked to the head of the table, detaching the medi-pack on her back and placing it in the space above the man's head. She looked over at the medic who was assisting her - the pretty girl with the green eyes. She seemed relaxed despite the circumstances, cleaning the man's more visible wounds.

"Sorry, I didn't quite catch your name back there. I'm Gabriella."

9. yellowm&M

Andrea Dawson

"Sorry, I didn't quite catch your name back there. I'm Gabriella."

"I'm Andrea. It's nice to have another medic around..." Andrea smiled at Gabriella, letting her sentance trail off. It probably wouldn't help her cause to say that she felt out of place in the group with such a lack of shard seeking experience. Of course she had heard about the outer reaches, specters, and shards from her father but that wasn't anything like actually experiencing it. Plus those stories had been a long time ago and she had no way to hear them again. Pushing those thoughts away she glanced back at Gabriella. With her tanned skin, dark ponytail, and air of confidence Andrea had no trouble believing she did some shard seeking. Still Andrea meant it when she said it was nice to have another medic around, at least on that level she didn't feel so out of place. Regardless of how out of her league she felt, however, Andrea had no intentions of leaving the mission-she had to be on it.

Looking back up at Gabriella she asked, "What did your scan come up with?"

10. Forgotten_Memories

Gabriella Escalante

"What did your scan come up with?"

"Oh, nothing we can't handle," Gabriella responded confidently, taking the necessary tools out of her medi-pack - some Spray-Gauze and Sling-Wrap, "A broken arm, dislocated shoulder. I'm going to need you to prop him up for me."

While she waited for Andrea to do this, Gabriella noticed the other casualty standing in the room - the girl with the bluntly dyed pink hair. She was one of the ones responsible for saving the scientist. True bravery was difficult to come by these days - most people only looked to save their own hides.

Michael zoomed in on the girl's hand, alerting Gabby of a serious bullet wound. She quickly turned back to her medi-pack and extracted one of the vials slotted in around the sides. Cragclaw venom. If ever there was a medical breakthrough, it was the discovery of the effect of Cragclaw venom on human muscle and tissue cell regeneration. Of course, it did little to help bone, but that's where the regular treatments came in.

Gabriella held the vial out to the girl. "Here, pour this over it." The only problem was that she had little left of the stuff.

11. yellowm&M

Andrea Dawson

"Oh, nothing we can't handle," Gabriella responded confidently, taking the necessary tools out of her medi-pack - some Spray-Gauze and Sling-Wrap, "A broken arm, dislocated shoulder. I'm going to need you to prop him up for me."

As Gabriella rummaged around in her bag for the necessary materials Andrea carefully slung the man's uninjured arm around her shoulder and moved him into a sitting position leaning heavily on her. It was then that she noticed the other woman standing quietly in the corner, blood dripping down her hand. Gabriella noticed her too and gave her a small bottle of what appeared to be Cragclaw venom. That stuff was amazingly useful, but expensive because of it. Mentally Andrea ran through the items in her own bag. She was pretty sure she had a small vial of the venom as well, but it didn't contain very much venom in it and she had a feeling they would need it on this trip. She'd have to find a way to stock up on some.

12. losthawken

Danger and Riddles in the Void

“All passengers please prepare for gravitational escape,” the AI voice chimed throughout the ship. Those on board felt the craft tremor slightly as it left the gravitational pull of the small outpost planet.

On the helm Artemus Antair watched intently as the pale blue atmosphere gave way to pinholes of light in a great black void. He had nearly forgotten about the others on board so intent on escaping the specters was he. Leonardo was doing his job well, they were behind the moon and moving quickly away from the planet with no sign of specters.

But as they continued past the moon and the far side of the besieged planet came into view the scene took the breath away from even the cold hearted Antair.

Hundreds of specters swarmed just above the planet amidst the debris of countless many ships. The few space craft that were still exiting the planets atmosphere were being picked off one by one by the alien horde.

“My God,” Antair gasped, “I’ve never seen so many… Its not a raid, its an assault… LEO, are you recording this?”

“Yes Doctor. I’m recording on all spectrums. You should be aware that there is one class 5 specter amidst the group, the largest encountered so far.”

The ship turned away from the horrific scene and the doctor breathed a sigh of relief. Still he didn’t move. His thoughts were captivated by the carnage he had witnessed, and the warning that that old spacer had given him when he purchased that amazing shard.

His dark introspection was broken moments later by the voice of Leo once again.

“Doctor, the largest of the specters has broken off of the main group. It appears to be moving in an intercept path with the Albatross.”

“Full power to the sails Leo, give them everything we’ve got,” the scientist frantically jumped into the piloting chair, “put the tachyon currents on the screen, I’m taking over.”

Artemus grabbed the steering assembly with both hands as the beautiful display of flowing purple ribbons representing the movements of the tachyon currents filled the screen.

“Everyone hold on!”

Gerty was still somewhat in shock over the narrow escape from the planet, and from the pain that still throbbed in her hand. She had just applied the curative venom tincture and was struggling against the added prickling sensation it gave to her palm. She heard the Doctor’s yell only distantly as the ship began to lurch and sway.

Almost imperceptibly a piercing ringing began in her ears. It grew and grew to an overwhelming current in her mind. As the tone climaxed she felt every thought and every memory flash through her minds eye. It felt as though her very mind was being violated. Dropping the vial of precious medicine she gripped her head with both hands pulling her fluorescent locks over her face.

Then, as suddenly as the feeling came it stopped, or rather it changed. She could still feel the presence of something different that lingered, but it no longer tormented her mind and senses. Visibly shaken she managed a sigh of relief before the deep grating whisper came.

“Surrender the shard!”

13. Forgotten_Memories

Gabriella Escalante

The short pink-haired girl took the vial with pleasure and applied it carefully to her wound, which healed itself in a matter of seconds, only a scar and some broken bones underneath left. But first, the scientist would have to be taken care of.

"Oh, I almost forgot," Gabriella began, extracting a small syringe from the medi-pack, filled with a pain-killing solution, "we'll need this!"

As she carried the equipment over to the front of the table, where Andrea sat the injured man into the necessary position, a voice came through the ship's intercom."All passengers please prepare for gravitational escape.”

A moment later the ship lurched forward, causing Gabriella to stumble right into the man's arm, which was followed by a loud crunch. She managed not to drop the equipment, but reeled instantly to scan the patient. Luckily, Michael revealed that she had actually fixed the man's dislocated shoulder. Well, that was one thing taken care of - now for the arm!

Just as she was about to inject the man with a dosage of the pain-killer, there came a smash from the corner. The pink-haired girl had dropped the precious vial of Cragclaw venom and was having some sort of seizure it appeared. "What the - Michael! Scan, stat!" Gabriella commanded. Was she having an allergic reaction to the venom?

The AI identified and ran a vitals check on the girl. "Vitals are 100%."

A moment later, she stopped, and was as calm as a lake. Then she spoke, in an eery, inhuman voice, "Surrender the shard."

Gabriella put her medical equipment down and stepped in front of Andrea and her patient, her hand slowly moving toward her tach rod. This didn't seem like normal behaviour, not even for a shard seeker. "What shard?" Gabriella asked sharply.

14. Question

Question Active Member

Jax Roberts

The ship lurched up into space. He could see countless glowing specters just outside the atmosphere. Hundreds of them waiting to demolish any fleeing ships. This hadn’t been a raid but a massacre. Jax could feel a cold anger rising inside himself. All these specters grouping together in an organised attack, didn’t make any sense. He wondered what the hell these demons could want. Sure Jax had killed men, but never like this. Slaughtering women and children, with nothing to be gained. No… this was genocide.

“Doctor, the largest of the specters has broken off of the main group. It appears to be moving in an intercept path with the Albatross.” Artemus jumped into the piloting chair as he activated the manual controls.

“Everyone hold on!”

The ship rumbled as artemus increased the speed. Jax held onto the wall to steady himself. He knew that a specter that big would be almost impossible to destroy but they had to do something, if they were going to get out of this alive.

Jax looked at artimus, “You got any outer weapons on this ship?”

15. losthawken

Artemus Antair

“You got any outer weapons on this ship?”

“Yes of course, there are two shard blasters on the port and starboard sides at the rear. Get someone else to man the second!” Artemus didn’t look up from the front console as he spoke. He was focusing hard on keeping the shuttle in the strongest tach currents to maximize their speed.

“Doctor, the specter is gaining on us, and will intercept in less than five minutes.”

“Damn it!” Artemus shouted, “Put him on the side panel I want to see him before he blasts us into eternity.”

A view panel adjacent to the front window of the craft flickered to life. It displayed the amorphous shape of the massive entity that pursued them. Billowing violet energy burned in the void as it streamed toward the Albatross. Dark crystals were speckled throughout the luminous glow, the largest of which were concentrated toward the center where the creature’s burning orange core could be seen. No one had encountered a specter of this size; at least none had and lived to report it.

“Doctor, as your hypotheses would predict it is definitely of the Phageon subspecies,” Leo commented.

“Of course it is!” shouted a frustrated and desperate Artemus, “Pirate! Link with Leo, the specter will protect its main core, but this type has multiple smaller cores. Leo can help you target them! It might buy us a little more time!”

They might have one hope of surviving, but Artemus still hesitated to reveal the shard. After all, if the old spacer was right that same shard was the very reason for there current predicament.

16. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Rael Searwin

Through a view port in cargo bay Rael could see specters grouping around the ships trying to escape. They were tearing them to shreds he had never though he'd see such a sight in his lifetime, it must be the largest gathering in history. But how, how were they so organised? Specters were meant to be beast like creatures with no real ability to think.

“Doctor, the largest of the specters has broken off of the main group. It appears to be moving in an intercept path with the Albatross.”

Rael snapped out of thought. How they were going to defend against something so big he didn't know. He headed towards the cockpit to see what could be done to delay the specter only to see someone had beat him too it.

“You got any outer weapons on this ship?” Asked a brown haired man.

“Yes of course, there are two shard blasters on the port and starboard sides at the rear. Get someone else to man the second!” Antair replied. Rael stepped in tapping the brown haired man on the back.

"I'll man the other gun." He said hurrying off, their chances didn't look good though.

17. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

"Gerty" Wingleton

Gerty placed her palms over her face. Her head felt like it was going to explode.

"What shard?" One of the medics asked, her voice ringing over and over in Gerty's ears. Lurching forward, Gerty vomited across the floor.

"Shard, what're you talking about?" She wheezed, wiping her mouth with her sleeve, "Where's my backpack?" She scanned the floor, until she caught sight of it, then retrieved it from the floor. "Be right back."

Head still thumping, she left the infirmary, and entered a small room to her right, closing the door as she did. The ship was shaking, being pursued, and they were all going to die, Gerty guessed. At least they fixed her palm. Hands trembling, she opened the backpack, and began rifling through it. It was wet, and full of glass shards. Surely one had survived! With growing desperation, Gerty turned out the backpack across the floor, shaking it wildly. Clink! Gerty gave a moan of relief, and picked up the syringe from the floor. One Deeper shot had survived. She couldn't use it now, not with all the rocking about, but just the knowledge that she had it made all the difference. Her head twitched, and she felt her headache worsen. Stuffing the syringe into her pocket, she left the room, completely forgetting to clean up her mess, and entered back into the infirmary.

"Back." She said with a crooked smile.

18. Question

Question Active Member

Jax Roberts

Jax felt a tap on his shoulder, "I'll man the other gun."

It was the giant Rael. Well at least he looked like he could handle a blaster. Jax turned, and hurried down the hallway towards the ships starboard side. He climbed up a ladder, entering the small cockpit that operated the large blaster. The cockpit itself was circular and able to rotate in any direction. As he sat down and strapped himself in, The video feed of the outside filled the curved wall opposite of Jax. He slowly reached down, grabbing on to the joystick that controled the gun, pausing slightly at its familiarity. Jax turned the cockpit to the right, searching for the specter. There it was, it was huge even larger then the ship, It radiated off purple energy as it soard behind them. Its body pulsed with millions of shards. An almost imperceptible face seemed to resonate in its center.

“Well, aren’t you ugly. All right, Leo link me up to your targeting system.”

The screen lit up with squares circleling along its body indicating points of impact. A large square marked the center of creature. Simple enough, shoot all those squares then go for the big one in the middle.
    Jax activated his headset to communicate with Rael. “Rael you just keep firing to the right side I’ll stay to the left. Then will meet in the middle.”

Jax rotated slightly, and took aim at an impact point. Bam!Bam!Bam! The large gun rocketed blasts of green energy towards the creature. Jax slightly adjusted the joystick, moving upwards, and carefully aiming for the points of impact. He could already see small chunks of the behemoth flying off the creature where the blaster hit. Bam!Bam!Bam! Maybe there was a slight chance to beat this thing. He continued fireing, his finger constantly pulling at the trigger. He could feel cold sweat on the back of his neck. The specter still seemed to be gaining on them. Suddenly a shrill noise resonated from the specter, as its body began to glow brighter.

19. losthawken

GM/Artemus Antair

In the infirmary, Gerty heard the terrifying voice in her mind again.

You're weak,” it grumbled.

A broad pulse of energy burst out from the core of the creature, creating massive interference across all the ships systems including the intercom which reacted with a shrill screeching noise. Simultaneously the voice only she could hear screamed in her head, “SURRENDER THE SHARD!

The scientist watched as his fears were realized and the blasted bits of the specter reorganized themselves and quickly rejoined their origin. Artemus flipped a switch.

“You’ll have to shoot faster than that!” he called out across the ships intercom.

He glanced at the approaching specter once more. If ever there were a time for desperate measures it was this. He’d been in bad scrapes with specters before, but none like this. But, he wouldn’t see his life’s work and all the secrets aboard the Albatross demolished. He knew that one day he would die at the hands of a specter, but this would not be that day; not if he could help it. Making his mind up, he flipped the intercom switch again.

“I can’t leave the helm, but there is a shard hidden in a titanium-fiber case inside the second bulkhead of the main hallway,” the urgency of the situation belied the doctor’s voice as he did his best to instruct them slowly and clearly. “Someone MUST retrieve the shard and exchange it with the one used by the tach-sail generator. It’s our only chance!”

Artemus sighed as he returned to steering the ship. The creature was still approaching, rapidly.

“Doctor, I would advise against using that particular shard as its size and properties are beyond record and have not yet been fully investigated,” the ever calm and vigilant computer warned across the intercom.

Staring coolly into the river of transparent tachyon currents the Doctor ignored his AI. They were going to die one way or the other, they might as well die trying.

20. Forgotten_Memories

The pink haired girl vomited all over the floor and Gabriella dropped her defences. Something wasn't right, and this girl clearly needed help. The girl fumbled for her backpack and then excused herself quickly, as if nothing had happened.

"Wait-" Gabriella called, but the girl took no notice. Her hand hadn't healed up yet. Very strange behaviour, it's almost as if she was on deeper or something.

While the girl was out of the room, Gabriella moved to fix up the scientist's arm with Andrea. She sprayed on the gauze, which thickened in a matter of second and they began making a sling. That's when the girl returned, all flustered.

"Alright, I think we're practically done here. Andrea, can you see to her hand? The bones won't heal without a proper hold."

Then suddenly the ship shook, and their patient fell forward, only to be stopped by the medics' hold - they had been hit by something. A quick, sharp-pitched noise echoed from the intercom, which was followed by Antair's voice, “You’ll have to shoot faster than that!”

What was going on out there? Gabby quickly glanced around the room, noticing a small window looking out at the ship's starboard side. She walked over, and her eyes opened wide as she removed the goggles from her face. Behind them was a Specter, and although her first encounter with the creatures was only about an hour ago, Gabby could tell that this one meant business.

She turned to Andrea. "We have to get him off the table!"

As she moved back across the room, Antair's voice came through the intercom again, “I can’t leave the helm, but there is a shard hidden in a titanium-fiber case inside the second bulkhead of the main hallway. Someone MUST retrieve the shard and exchange it with the one used by the tach-sail generator. It’s our only chance!”

Shit. That was all Gabriella could think.

21. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Rael Searwin

Rael strapped himself into the blasters cockpit ficking switches on as he did. The screen appeared showing the specter outside. It was collosal, dwarfing the ship. He took a hold of the joystick smiling as he took aim, it was just like playing a game, the computer marking the vunerable areas of the specters body. Rael smiled slightly, his childhood seemed so long ago.

“Rael you just keep firing to the right side I’ll stay to the left. Then will meet in the middle.” Jax said over the intercom.

"Will do." Rael radioed back. He started firing aiming for the smallest chunks befor attacking the larger ones. Boom!Boom!Boom! Chunks of the specter flew off as Rael laughed. Despite the threat of immintent death he couldn't help enjoying this. Boom! Another chunk flew off. He could see more pieces floating past from Jax's side. Then it started glowing.

The glowing pulse increased then surged towards them. Rael's screen shut down as the pulse hit.

“I can’t leave the helm, but there is a shard hidden in a titanium-fiber case inside the second bulkhead of the main hallway. Someone MUST retrieve the shard and exchange it with the one used by the tach-sail generator. It’s our only chance!” Antair said over the intercome. Rael unstrapped hoping Jax hadn't decided to go for the shard aswell.

He exited the cockpit sliding down the ladder and heading back towards the cockpit before turning towards the back of the ship. The second bulkhead seemed alot further away than he had realised but he pushed on. Rael started searching looking for some form of door or opening to no avail.

"He's not going to be happy about this." Rael muttered before slamming his drill into the floor. It was a good thing he hadn't surrendered it earlier. Sparks flew as he tore up the floor, pipes and cables being ripped and thrown out the way. After a few seconds drilling he found what looked like a ladder. Wasting no time he jumped down past it. There was a case sitting on a plynth. He grabbed it climbing back up the ladder and running towards Antair.

He hopped he could make fast enough.

22. Question

Question Active Member

Jax Roberts

The specter pulse nocked out Jax’s video feed. Crap, how the heck was he sposed to shoot the thing now.

“I can’t leave the helm, but there is a shard hidden in a titanium-fiber case inside the second bulkhead of the main hallway. Someone MUST retrieve the shard and exchange it with the one used by the tach-sail generator. It’s our only chance!”

Jax figured somebody else would have to deal with that. He continued to flip switches in an attempt to get the video back on but nothing worked. The last he had seen, the specter had been right on their heels. He had to buy them more time or they were all done for. Jax remembered that their was an outer maintenance hatch he had passed earlier. If he could get on the outside of the ship, then he could manualy fire the blaster and that might just give them some time. Though at these speeds it would be crazy to attempt such a thing.

Jax exited the cockpit and retraced his steps back to the maintenance hatch. An old space suit hung in a storage block next to it. The suit clipped onto a shard harness, which would power it. In theory, it would allow him to breath, while also protecting him from the elements. Though this one looked like it hadn’t been used in a while. He put on the older suit, hopeing that it held up. He went through the hatch.

He hung on the outer edge of the ship. The ship itself seemed to be moving alarmingly fast. He began to think that maybe this wasn’t such a good idea. The great beyond flew around him, he knew that all it would take was one slip, and he would fall into that endless void. The boots and gloves of the suit Jax was wearing were magnatised against the ship. But still the thought unnerved him. It took all of his will to start climbing up the side of the ship, but eventually he got his hand up to the next rung and the rest began to follow. The hatch itself wasn’t to far from the blaster and he could see the gun ahead of him. The gun was pretty big, and normally moved with the cockpit, but could easily be disingaged for manual fire.

As he reached it he stood up braceing himself against the ship. He stood in awe at the site before him. The giant specter had definitely been gaining on them. Jax could almost feel the energy radiating off of it. He flipped the switch on the blaster, changing it to manual controls. He grabbed onto the two handles with both hands. This definatlly wasn’t a Joystick. The gun pivoted towards the creature as Jax took carefull aim at the creatures center. This time there was no targeting system. Jax roared, as he fired, hurling strings of energy at the specter. The gun buckled against Jax but he held his ground as rage fuelled an insistent need to destroy this entity.

23. losthawken

Secrets of the Albatross

Artemus shouted over his shoulder when he heard the destructive sounds of Rael punching a whole in his ship.

“What the hell is going on back there?”

The heavy footsteps of the young miner approached him. Artemus turned abruptly and punched in the access code to unlock the case and then quickly turned back to steering the ship. The boy was clearly as bright as a toothpick if he didn’t know how to open a simple door. He only hoped he could install the shard properly. He paused for a moment to glance at the man’s face when he opened the case.

The shard was massive, longer than a man’s arm and a beautiful amber orange in color. Rael stood still and silent, taking in the shard like none he’d ever seen before.

“Get it to the sail generator. Leo will cut the power when you tell him so you can safely pull out the old shard and place this one inside. Take the ladder down just past the infirmary down the hall on the left. GO!” Artemus didn’t believe in God, but all the same he prayed that this would work.

“Doctor, one of the passengers has exited the ship and is attempting to manually operate the starboard side turret,” Leo commented.

“That damn crazy Pirate! His view port must have gone down when the pulse hit. Well help him Leo, he’s shooting blind out there!” exclaimed the scientist.

----

A moment later the voice of the ship’s AI chimed in Jax Robert’s helmet, “I’ve been instructed to aid you in targeting the phageon specter. Please let me know if I can be of any other assistance.”

A similar display to that in the turret appeared in Jax’s protective goggles indicating the most vulnerable sub-cores of the creature.

----

Rael ran down the hall past the infirmary, Gabriella and Andrea had just placed the injured Eric carefully on the floor. Andrea saw the large miner run by carrying what looked like a very large shard. The man hardly took his eyes off of it as he hurried.

Moving to the door she watched as he turned the corner and listened to his footsteps as he moved down a ladder. Then something else caught her eye.

Further down the hall a hole had been ripped in the wall. That must have been the crashing sound she had heard. But now something was coming out of the hole. It was not very large, less than a meter, and it floated and moved in the air indifferent to the artificial gravity of the ship.

Was there a specter on board? The thing was made up of transparent shards much like a specter, but it was far more simple in shape and had no energy field about it. The shards were aligned into a spine like row of small round crystals along the sides of which extended separate long slender crystals. The largest of these were arranged at the front and the smaller towards the back. It gave the thing the appearance of a cobra’s head, but the shards all undulated in a series of waves down its body much like a sea-ray.

It moved gracefully and slowly out of the opened bulkhead then quickly sped off following Rael.

24. Question

Question Active Member

Jax Roberts

He had been firing constantly at the specters center but the blasts seemed to be pretty inaffective

“I’ve been instructed to aid you in targeting the phageon specter. Please let me know if I can be of any other assistance.”

Jax’s goggle’s lit up with the targeting system. The familiar display of squares surrounded the creature. He continued to fire as he angled the gun towards one of the squares. The gun buckled and fought against him but he held on, desperatly fighting to keep his aim. The specter was still moving closer. Suddenly, one of Jax’s blasts hit directly at the square. It exploded on impact sending a shower of shards flinging behind it. The blast caused the specter to rear back a couple feet. A small grin stretched across Jax’s face. This could work, the specter was so close the blast seemed to be causeing more damage. Jax readjusted his aim, going for a square to his left. He fired rapidly, untill he could see a satisfying explosion of shards fly off the specter. The specter moved a few feet back.

“Leo, direct more power to this Blaster, Im gonna need all that you can spare.”

“Authorization required from Doctor Antair.”

“I don’t give a crap what you have to do. Just get me more power, now!”

25. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Rael Searwin

Rael ran through the ship. Behind him he could hear an odd noise, almost like a ghostly slithering. Looking behind him he could see a transparent snake like spectre following him. Rael almost tripped in shock. He had never seen a spectre, if it was a spectre, like this before. It didn't even seem to have an energy field. Rael ignored it. He'd have to fight it later, right now he had a job to do.

He reached the center of the ship. Pushing open the door to the generator room he could see the old shard floating in between to nodes. Rael paused taking a moment to think about the best way to swap them before giving up. He placed his drill next to the current shard holding the other next to it before counting down.

"Ok 3, 2, 1."

He pushed the other shard out of the way placing the new one in. Stepping back he smiled to himself. He'd done it, and without the ship blowing up either.

"Sssss" Came a noise from behind him.