1. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Favorite Fictional Character(s)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lordofhats, Jan 20, 2008.

Self explainatory. Who is your favorite fictional character? Feel free to list more than one if you like or if you just can't pick between all the great characters out there (I know I can't).

My Top Five:

Hector, (The Iliad, Homer): In my opinion, he embodies all the noblest aspects of a soldier. Being an army brat I idolized soldiers for many of my early years and the concept of the noble hero is somewhat ground into my skull.

AJ Johnson, (Halo Series, Bungie): This guys just awesome.

V, (V for Vendetta, Alan Moore): Don't know why I like him. He's just a character who sticks to my head. He's also a character who is so ambiguos its really impossible to know him, yet at the same time you feel you do know him.

Johnny Rico, (Starship Troopers, Robert A. Heinlein): He's a little plain for a character but he's from the book that got me into reading and writting so I figure he belongs here.

Ender Wiggen, (Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card): One of my most beloved characters. You feel for him so much its nastolgic. When he's depressed I felt a little depressed, and when he won I felt like I'd won. I don't know how Card did it but he did.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Beowulf Shaeffer, from Larry Niven's Known Space stories. Smart, and a survivor, with a twisted sense of humor.

Lucy Farinelli. Kay Scarpetta's brilliant niece from Patricai Cornwell's novels. She's a self-made millionaire computer genius, ex-FBI, ex-ATF, helicopter pilot, and yet her personal life is a tangled mess.

Kinsey Millhone, the private investigator penned by Sue Grafton in her alphabet mysteries.

Lex Luthor - the version in the Smallville TV series - is ruthless and misguided, but anything but one-dimensional.

These are just a few off the top of my head.

3. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Ggaahhh. (All those letters are needed to express my pain.) I can't even stick with just five! So I'm going to do my favorite writers of characters instead...if that makes sense.

1. Terry Pratchett. Rincewind, Susan, Death, Granny and Nanny (heck, all the witches)- he is far and away the best character-creator I have ever encountered.

2. Joss Whedon, for great happy people like Xander Harris, Willow Rosenberg, Kaylee Frye, or Hobart "Wash" Washburne. These are characters you'll always want to cheer for.

3. Bill Lawrence and his hilariously dysfunctional cast of Scrubs- Elliot Reid the neurotic, JD the daydreamer, and of course the hysterical black hole of hatred that is Jordan and Perry Cox. =D

4. Back to book world, Neil Gaiman and his strange, strange world. Every unique character of Sandman, the bizarre cast of Anansi Boys, the spellbinding populace of American Gods- the variety and consistent perfection of Gaiman's characters will never cease to amaze me.

5. Carl Hiaasen. I could go on forever, but suffice it to say, he is twisted. It's great. =D

4. Tori

Tori New Member

There's so many! I know I'm going to leave some out. But from the top of my head I would have to say.

Starbuck from the new Battlestar Galactica. For some reason I relate to her!

George from the Famous Five. I was such a tomboy when I was little and a really thought that she was the best charater in the books.

Obi Wan Kenobi. By far the best Jedi in Star Wars (followed closely by Mace Windu).

Wayne from Wayne's World. One of my favourite films ever and he reminds me of one of my close friends.

Ron Weasley. I was tempted to say Harry but I always had a bit of a thing for all the Weasley boys when I read the books!!

Well that is the first 5 off the top of my head.

5. MarcG

MarcG New Member

Prince Lyov Myshkin from The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky. If you've read it, you'll know. Oh, yes, you'd know.

6. CharlieTheUnicorn13

CharlieTheUnicorn13 New Member

Somewhere in this universe... Is there some reason
    I don't know. Here are a few off the top of my head that I really like.

Morpheus from The Matrix. HE ROCKS!

Anakin Skywalker (before he became Darth Vader) from Star wars. He was a good character. I liked him a lot. Before he changed.

David from Uglies. He was never nearly as dramatic as all the other characters. Tally and Shay were both drama queens, and Zane was just annoying and full of himself.

7. Neidermeyer

Neidermeyer Active Member

Favorite fictional characters...

I agree with Crazy Ivan, I love the Joss Whedon characters.

As for my all time favorite, I would have to go with Drizzt Do'Urden. He is R.A. Salvatore's most infamous character. The clumination of one bad a** with a conscience. Over the storyline you really get to know him, and to me, it is just a masterful series of works.

8. theBLOO

theBLOO New Member

X-Men
    1. Gambit (Remy LeBeau) : I've always loved him. Maybe it was his accent, maybe it was his mannerisms, or maybe it was because he threw cards that exploded. I don't really know what made me love him so much but I honestly can't get enough of him. :love:
    2. Nightcrawler (Kurk Wagner) : Such a strange character. Like I mentioned about Remy, I'm not exactly what made me love Remy. Could it be his jaded past? His accent --which I just adore-- or perhaps I fell in love with his amazingly indigo colored skin and righteous vies on the entire world? Such a forgiving yet ruthless man.
    3. Wolverine (Logan) : Honestly, is there a way he could not be listed among my favorites? I love him --everything about him. His snappy come backs, his desire to leave no man behind on the battle field, how passionate he is toward everything, his wit, his intelligence and having Adamantium claws has to be the coolest thing since Kung Fu was established. XD

Dresden Files
    1. Harry Dresden : Really, must I explain myself? XD One of the most real characters I've ever read about. At least he's a main character that can't save the world in a day or battle werewolves and walk away with a few bruises. Praise Jim Butcher~!

Anime & Manga
    1. Sesshoumaru (InuYasha) : No one understands why I like him so much... Honestly, I must say it's because he isn't like any other character that opposes the main character. Really, all he wants to do is kill his brother and retrieve what he believes is rightfully his. It isn't like he wants to establish himself as a world power like some baddies. D<
    2. Inu no Taisho (InuYasha) : I really do think his name is Toga... Anyways, I just think he's uber cool. XD <fangirlmoment>
    3. Alucard (Hellsing) : I love his personality and the fact he doesn't grow soft on me. Long live the evil!
    4. L (Death Note) : Cool, calculating and crazily weird. He's definetly my kind of guy. XD
    5. Judas (Judas) : Promiscuous, caring and just an outright jerk at times. The perfect combination. ='D Ignore me.
    6. Soubi (Loveless) : Ungh. I really just love him. o 3o No reason at all.
    7. Kakashi (Naruto) : He makes me smile like this: ^___________________^
    8. Iruka (Naruto) : I know he's gay. <_< >_> ...and is madly in love with Kakashi. <ahem>
    9. Genma, Hayate, Sai, Orochimaru, Sasori, Deidara, Tobi, Itachi (Naruto) : Just a bunch of love for them.

D= I got carried away. You can be sure that list extends to a few pages but I don't feel like boring you. XD

9. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Catwoman
    Elmo
    Mr Squiggle
    Snuffleupagus

They are fictional :p:p:p

and we all know ravens is batman :p

10. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

- Stephanie Plum because she's out-going, adventurous, smart and hilarious.

- Marv from Sin City because he's got that bad-guy appeal and because he's passionate about what he does.

- Wolverine for the same reasons.

- Rachel from Friends because she's funny, caring and fun.

- Chandler from Friends for the same reasons.

- Stewie because he's hilarious and witty, whilst ignorant at the same time.

- Gracie Hart from Miss Congeniality because she's bold and intelligent.

- Vito Corleone because he was an incredible man.

- Death from Discworld because he has a great sense of humour and is overall a hilarious character.

- Captain Vimes from Discworld because I like the way he thinks.

- Elastagirl from the Incredibles because she has a hilarious manner and is a strong woman.

- Velma and Roxie from Chicago cause they're spunky and dangerous.

- Danny from Grease because he's gorgeous :p

- Captain Jack Sparrow because, well, you know.

- John Wayne because he's hilarious and spontaneous and always happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I think that's enough for now :p

11. diziet

diziet Member

Jack 'Half Cock' Shaftoe from Neal Stephenson's The Baroque Cycle, self-styled King of the Vagabonds :)

12. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I forgot Charlie Brown
    Tweety Bird
    and mostly Sylvester. He never gives up no matter what. A truely inspirational fictional character :p hee hee

13. lessa

lessa New Member

Robinton (master harper of Pern) Anne McCaffrey

Denoriel (elf protecting Fitzroy king Henry the 8th;s bastard son) The Sceptered Isle Mercedes Lackey

Zorro and Robin Hood.

14. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Jack Torrance (Movie - The Shining) - He is the everyday man, that whent mad and tried to kill his family.

Cthulhu (The Call of Cthulhu) - A massive 300ft tall creature, born in some unknown area of outerspace. A great, un-feeling, un-emotional killing machine that wants to rid Earth of all life aside from himself... What's not to like?

Nyerlothothep (The Haunter of the Dark) - ultimite Joker and master of deseption... He he a force of pure, random evil whoes goal is to turn man against man by any means at his disposel. He has so many faces and disguses, he could be anyone.

These are myn

15. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Obviously Ash from the Evil Dead series. Funny dialogue, and a true chainsaw-armed heroe. :p

16. Odinschild

Odinschild New Member

The Weaver from China Mieville's Perdido Street Station.

It only appears for a total of about four or five pages, but it is by far my favorite character in the entire book. It speaks in a strange poetic nonsensical manner, it is obsessed with collecting human ears (from living, unwilling participants), and can "jump" in between realities. One of the coolest characters in any story I've read.

17. Montag

Montag New Member

Y.T. from Snow Crash.

Captain Willard (Martin Sheen) from Apocalypse Now.

Fry from futurama, even though he's denser than a neutron star.

18. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Profferser Dumbeldore. He is just immense, love that dude. I guess he is like someone I would like to know and care about me, make me feel safe and stuff, I dunno.

Signor Rodolfo from Straveganza Same reason as above really, he is cool older guy who looks out for everyone yet has his owns issues which makes him real.

Hanibal Lector I dunno why, I just think he is a cool charector and I love reading about him in the books.

Thats all I can think off off the top of my head really.

19. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

AAH ok. Buffy the Vampire Slayer and The Angel Characters. Love them all. Especially Spike.

Anita Blake form the Anita Black series by Laurell K Hamilton

Alex Cross- in all the Cross Novels by James Patterson

There is so many. I can't think. Will get back to this another time. :D

20. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Got a few more...

The Raven (The Poem: The Raven) - So enigmatic... 'Nevermore.'

Winston Smith (1984) - Very cocky, and very smart. However, Big Brother will never die.

Joe Bonham (Johnny got his Gun) - Read it and find out.

Randolph Carter (Lovecraft) - A thinly disgused alter ego of the weirdist Horror writer ever, And once you get over the Xenophobia, he is a cool guy.

21. ANT (Bar YOSEF)

ANT (Bar YOSEF) New Member

I have a lot, here are a few

Xena (Xena Warrior Princess)- she kicks ass, she has depth as a character.

Sylar (Heroes) - such a perfect villain and can act goody goody when it suits his plans.

Captain Jack Sparrow - what can I say, a legend savvy!

22. andycerrone

andycerrone New Member

Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird was a wonderfully developed character that stands out more so than 95% of characters in any books.

He's probably my favorite character in any piece of literature, in fact.

23. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Atticus is definetley great character. I loved the story, and he was such a good man and a truely good father. He's the perfect father.