1. Sir Ender

Sir Ender New Member

Hello everyone!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sir Ender, Dec 30, 2007.

How is everybody on this fine, cold, night? I'm Caleb and I've been writing for a few years now, but always looking to improve.

One of my favorite authors is William Faulkner. my english teacher made me read a book by him (As I Lay Dying) and even though it took me a few reads to understand it, I started reading his other works and he's definitely made my top ten writers list.

Feel free to drop by and say hello, I'll be around here while trying to find my way around the site!

2. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Hello Sir Ender, and a big warm welcome to WF.org, the friendliest and craziest forum on the world wide web.
    It is wonderful that you have come here to join us and share your writing and opinions with all of us.
    If you would ever like a review simply PM myself or one of the other Reviewers and we will be more than happy to help out. You can find the list of reviewers by clicking on the Forum Leaders button at the bottom of the forum. :)
    I do hope that your stay with us is long and prosperous. :)
    Welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing you around the boards in the very near future.

Thank you kindly

Torana

3. Sir Ender

Sir Ender New Member

Thanks for being the first to welcome me, even if it is your generic welcome post :p

4. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Sorry about that. It is just hard to do a personalised welcome as I spend most of my time reviewing. I come to these and just never really know what to say.

and you are most welcome by the way. Oh you should check out the reviewing forum as well. Has some great issues on reviewing. You may even be able to add your own thoughts and opinions in there.

I babble too much :p have fun

5. Zetta

Zetta New Member

Hiya, Ender (Gah, you remind me of one of my favorite books right off the bat... :p)

I'd like to say something constructive that isn't in everybody's generic intro posts, but I can't come up with anything. So I'll give you my best advice: come out of that shell. I joined a few months ago, but really didn't do anything until just recently. It's more fun if you get out there and post your writing, or review other peoples. And we'll all be glad to see you around. Everybody's friendly.

So, yeah, I'm here.

6. Sir Ender

Sir Ender New Member

Already been there! I'm just working on finishing up my first chapter before making a thread there.
    And I'm just teasing about the welcome post. I used to be a moderator on a site and I know how hard it can be to keep up with all the work that needs to be done.

7. Sir Ender

Sir Ender New Member

Hey Zetta!

As I Lay Dying = Amazing.

My mother is so totally fish too.

I can see already that people are friendly here, much different than the forum behavior I'm used to.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Caleb, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Personally, I never surrender.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well!

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

9. Sir Ender

Sir Ender New Member

Hey Cogito, thanks for the welcome.
    You might surrender, sooner or later everyone does.

10. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

Hi Caleb, welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy it here, I look forward to seeing some of your work. Feel free to message one of the mods if you need help with anything and don't hesitate to explore the site.

11. Sir Ender

Sir Ender New Member

Hey ILTBY, thanks for the welcome.

I posted the first chapter to my novel in the Review room a few hours ago, you could take a look at that if you were interested.

What does ILTBY stand for anyway?

12. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

Welcome! :)

You have one of the more popular welcoming threads it would seem.

I was just reading over something in the Novels section that you commented on and I thought, 'Wow, where'd this guy come from? He seems pretty cool.' It was weird but anyway, enjoy your time here as they all say.

13. Sir Ender

Sir Ender New Member

Aha, thanks for the welcome Bluemouth.

It's pretty cool 'round here. I was looking for a writing forum site where I'd get varied opinions and not just the same "oooh, your MC's hot!" comments from my friends who read my stuff. Or the "why do you write fantasy?" comments.

14. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

It stands for 'I love to be young' :)

15. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Welcome to the site, Caleb. Like your name. Though I've never heard of the writer, I'll safely assume he's got a good repute otherwise. Anyhow, if you have any trouble around here feel free to PM me or anyone you like.