1. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

Inserting questions in the text.

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Thanshin, Sep 3, 2010.

I've been thinking on posting a text for review with comments on the parts I had problems with when writing the text. Things like [Here I didn't know how to structure this sentence while removing a repetition of the name "Jack".]

Is there a standard way of doing it? Is it common?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

First off, it's better to make assertions than to ask questions. For example, instead of:
    Say something like:
    To make your comments stand out, consider bolding, and/or colors:
    More often, I put only the author's text I am commenting on in a single [NOPARSE][/NOPARSE] tag, and my comments before and after the bubble.

3. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

I meant when posting the original text. Comments on why I found a precise fragment to be difficult, asking for help.

I've edited the first post to better explain myself.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Generally, you're better off letting the critiquers decide what to address. But you could render part of the text in another color, if desired. Just be aware if could get a bit gaudy when the crirtiquers start adding their own colors and bolding.

And no, it is not particularly common for the author to lead the critiquer to a particular part of the text.

5. stubeard

stubeard Active Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with attaching comments for the critiquer to think about. If you feel like you need the most help in a specific area, then go for it - you won't get any answers if you don't ask the questions! That said, don't put too many questions in or you'll end up cluttering up the text.

Personally, I would write a note at the top of the post - any words in red and bold are part of the author's commentary.

6. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Personally I would put them at the bottom of the piece of work, that way people will know if they registered the answer when going through instead of your question telling them what they should see.

7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Must agree with Cog here. I understand your question, but giving away your inner doubts as to this bit or that bit is a little like hedging a bet. You end up marionetting the reader through your work and the actual impression of the reader is never known. Same reason that leading questions are a no-no in the court room.

8. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

I get it now. If it's wrong, there'd be no need to point it out and I would be manipulating the review for a worse result.

9. Manav

Manav New Member

You can ask about your doubts, preferably after a satisfactory number of critiques, as a reply post if the critics you have received made no comments about them.