1. samessex

samessex New Member

Hi all! Im a newbie!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by samessex, Mar 2, 2009.

Hello everyone! I just came across this great website and decided to join up and hopefully meet like minded writers!
    I have always liked writing, however never really donea nything about it until now. I have decided to write a book! woo hoo!! started it a few months back. I have no experience of professional writing, so ANY tips, hints etc you have would be greatly greatly greatly appreciated! look forward to chatting to you all!
    take care

sam :p

2. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

Hi, Sam. Welcome to the forums!

Best of wishes with your book. You'll find many great resources here along the way.

gar

3. samessex

samessex New Member

hi gar!

thank you for your welcome!
    yeah there seems to be a wealth of knowledge here, so going to make good use of it i think!
    i love your little saying under your posts! its really funny! :p

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Sam, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

5. Dalouise

Dalouise New Member

Hi and welcome from a former Essex girl! :)

6. samessex

samessex New Member

hi dalouise!!!
    woo hoo, theres another essex girl in the house!!! :p

7. samessex

samessex New Member

Hello....Again!

Hi all

I wasn't sure if I had to post a "hello I'm new" post or not, seeing as I'm an oldie, but went away for a while. But thought why not...!

So, Hello (waves to all!) I'm Sam. Live in the UK. Life became a little hectic over the last couple of years and I couldn't dedicate much time to writing etc, so had to take a break.

But, back now! :)

8. Hope2321

Hope2321 New Member

hello and welcome back! Hope ur break was awesome!(could use a vacation myself lol) anyhow, hope your writings getting there ;)

9. samessex

samessex New Member

Hi Hope, thanks. Well it was that sort of "vacation" a couple of years, working, and having twin boys!! I could do with a vacation now!

10. LostInFiction

LostInFiction New Member

Hello!

11. samessex

samessex New Member

Hi LostinFiction! :)

12. Hope2321

Hope2321 New Member

ah ok! Perhaps include your boys in your stories lol. Twins are often complex and are a good base in stories nowadays. Like the twins from matrix(jks)
    Wow i understand the lifestyle(just minus kids, havent had them yet! Im a youngin:) )

I also work and train in martial arts most of the time... can be tiring but encouraging to do something in life. ;)

Happy writing :)

13. LostInFiction

LostInFiction New Member

Ah, twins :) Do you manage to find much time for yourself to write? I have two little ones (not twins) and my littlest one loves to see me write, scratch that, my little one loves seeing the laptop appear in the hopes of bashing about on it until the keys flick off! Gotta laugh :D

14. samessex

samessex New Member

Hope, you could have something there. I will have to keep the twins idea for stories in the future possibly :)

LostInFiction, I HEAR you!! My boys are 1 and into everything! they see the laptop and are over to me like a flash! bang bang bang. my poor old laptop :-(

15. samessex

samessex New Member

ps. meant to say, I'm trying to write on and off in the day and evening. As and when really. Or should I say, when they let me! And yourself?

16. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome to the WF.

17. Jayyy1014

Jayyy1014 Jerrica Contributor

welcome

18. samessex

samessex New Member

how did this really old post of mine find its way to the top again??