1. DaveOlden

DaveOlden Member

Hello, and yes, I'm another Dave...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DaveOlden, Jan 23, 2015.

Hi everyone, I'm Dave Olden.

Yes, that's my real last name. (Having that name was a lot more ironic when I was, like, three).

(Hm, what else?....) I live on the Southern tip of Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada.

My story aim, initially, was to write an epic film. I've wanted to make films since I was little, but there hasn't been much traction with that since. Besides, I have no resources, no money, no crew, and no desire to shoot cheap YouTube videos with my smart phone.

"Honey, you wanna go see a movie?"
    "Sure! Any cheap YouTube videos shot in dank, white-walled cheap apartments showing in Imax 3D? "
    "Um, I'll check..."

A screen story goes through steps I'm sure many you are familiar with. Outline, Treatment, First Draft, revisions, rewrites, polishes, page-one rewrites (which means 'starting again from scratch') and finally a submission/production draft.

Since the treatment step is mostly prose, it didn't take long to realize, "Why not just go full-bore prose... and write it as a novel!"

That novel, once complete, would become a foundation (though no Harry Seldon). Maybe adapt to other forms; excerpt it for short films or maybe a web series, or maybe a graphic novel that becomes a TV series. (There's precedent for that. AMC's The Walking Dead).

And if it reads well enough, I could publish it.

But all that is way future.

My notes and writings are all over the place (a typical Creative), so, on Monday this week, I downloaded the 30 day free trial for Scrivener. Two days later, on Wednesday, I logged into the App Store and the <Purchase> button changed into the <$51.98> button.

So here I am. Decided on writing a novel, Scrivener beside me, her arm around my waist.

And now, I've joined up here, because I need other writers around.

As C3PO famously said, "Shutting up now."

minstrel likes this.
  2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, Dave, and welcome to the forum! Please check out our New Member Quick Start Guide - it'll get you going around here.

Vancouver Island, eh? I lived in Victoria for five and half years in the 90s. I loved it - gonna move back someday! My mother lived on Salt Spring Island for nearly twenty years - beautiful part of the world!

You'll find a lot of fellow Scrivener users here (including me).

Sounds to me like you'll fit right into this community. Participate and have fun!

DaveOlden likes this.
  3. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Welcome, Dave!

I'm pretty sure you'll feel right at home here, especially since we have novel writers, screen writers, graphic novel writers and all other kinds of writers in the community. ;)
    I'm also another Scriv user, though I've moved more towards writing by hand lately. Though Scrivener is definitely the best when it comes to digital writing (at least in my opinion).

Now go and have some fun!

Cheers!

DaveOlden likes this.
  4. DaveOlden

DaveOlden Member

Thank you for the welcome, Minstrel!
    Yes, I'm in Victoria. And right now, I'm at my go-to Starbucks, across Douglas Street from Mayfair Shopping Centre.

(A writer, with his MacBook Pro, in a Starbucks? Really? Of all places....!)

And, Komposten, on my right, beside my coffee mug, and MacBook Pro, is a Mead FIVE STAR notebook, along with the best pen in the world (Sharpie Fine No-Bleed).
    Even though so much is done inside Scrivener, I need tangible :)

Sharpie Fine No-Bleed (I make zero for saying that).

- Dave

[Edited to Add: I just looked at my temp profile pic, the little "male" symbol. The Story I am writing? Is about: leaving the Earth. Now look at that symbol again... :D ]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    minstrel likes this.
  5. Amanda_Geisler

Amanda_Geisler Senior Member

We have another crazy sense of humour on board...

Hi Dave, welcome to the forums. There are plenty of crazies around here, although I don't believe I seen anybody point that one out :crazy:

Another Scrivener user here, absolutely love it. I use it mostly to keep track of my characters (I've started killing them) I need to keep track of whose alive and dead. (I give them a big watermark that says DECEASED)

Also by the sounds of it you're a Mac user too :D if you got scrivener on the app store.

Amanda

DaveOlden likes this.
  6. DaveOlden

DaveOlden Member

$51.98 was the purchase price. When I got the receipt? Taxes on top! Over $58 all told. Still a major deal!

And killing characters? Joss Whedon fan much? ;)

7. DaveOlden

DaveOlden Member

Oh and Amanda another thing about killing characters...

Writer and director Nicholas Meyer on the set of Wrath of Khan, when told,
    "You can't kill Spock!" turned and said,
    "You can kill any character. As long as you kill them well!"

Okon and Komposten like this.
  8. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome to the forum.

9. DaveOlden

DaveOlden Member

Thank you, Gigi. :)