1. Andy Flood

Andy Flood New Member

Hello everyone

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Andy Flood, Sep 16, 2013.

Hi,

My name is Andy and I love writing stories in the 'Future Noir' and Cyberpunk vein. While this is my primary focus, I also enjoy writing other genre types such as Fantasy, Science Fiction, Crime etc.
    I started writing off the back of an old hobby; once I was no longer able to play pen and paper rpgs, I started to write stories as an alternative creative outlet.

Various influences help to shape and inspire my writing, and many extend beyond the literary, incorporating film, comics, games and music. My current aim is to have fun with my writing and above all, try to write the stories I would like to read.

I look forward to meeting the good people of this forum and hope to contribute as much as I myself take away.

I'd like to wish everyone the very best of luck with their writing. May it bring you every happiness and success.

Andy

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, Andy, and welcome to the forum! Please read the rules and have fun!

3. Andy Flood

Andy Flood New Member

Hello, Minstrel

Thank you for the welcome message. I had a read over the rules and articles on posting/feedback etiquette before I did anything else. I'm fairly new to forum life and so don't want to make a misstep. Thanks again and I hope you too have fun. :)

4. CraniumInsanium

CraniumInsanium Member

Hi Andy, nice to meet you!
    Just outta curiousity, what is future noir? Never heard of that genre...although I might just google it right now >.>

5. Andy Flood

Andy Flood New Member

Hi CraniumInsanium,

Very nice to meet you too and thanks for the message :)
    Sorry for the confusion, 'future noir' is just a name I give to some of the stuff I write. Dark future, basically. I have strong elements of cyberpunk, film noir, pulp and whatever else enters my imagination. There was a behind the scenes book for the movie 'Blade Runner' (my favourite!) and it had that 'Future Noir' title. I've 'borrowed' and 're-purposed' it as a genre description. I hope this clears matters up. If it has done, then you probably now understand what I'm talking about more than I do ;-)
    Happy writing!

Andy

6. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I just watched Blade Runner again the other night.

Have you read any of K.W. Jeter's Blade Runner novels, @Andy Flood? As an aside, Jeter is the guy who coined the term "steampunk" to describe what he, Tim Powers, and James Blaylock were writing.

7. Andy Flood

Andy Flood New Member

Hello, Steerpike. Nice to meet you.

First, let me say you have great taste in movies. As to K.W. Jeter's books, I only read the first sequel he wrote. He had a tall order, reconciling the differences between book and movie and trying to create a cohesive narrative for the sequel. It was a long time ago (I remember racing out to get the hardback on release) and so I can't really comment fairly beyond saying that I enjoyed it, although not as much as I'd hoped.
    The 'Steampunk' point is an interesting one and it rings vague bells for me, so thanks for the info. Is it correct that Gibson and Sterling's 'The Difference Engine' was an early pioneer of that movement also? I'm only really familiar with Steampunk as an aesthetic and haven't read any beyond Alan Moore's first 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' book.