1. inn3rs3lf

inn3rs3lf New Member

Hello to all!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by inn3rs3lf, Jun 5, 2016.

Hey guys.

Greetings from Johannesburg, South Africa.

I have been wanting to start a book now for a few years. At 33 years of age, I believe this may be the right time.

This is the main reason as to why I have joined the site, for a bit of insight and ideas as to the way in which others do this, so that my path is not totally enveloped by darkness.

Hopefully something good comes of this :)

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. agasfer

agasfer Member

Welcome. What genre will your book be in? Fiction or non-fiction?

Oscar Leigh and inn3rs3lf like this.
  3. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Hi there :)

Glad to have you! Just stick around.. it is a long and lonely road (and I do know now what I am talking about now *sigh*) but we are a merry madhouse to cheer you on :D

Oscar Leigh, inn3rs3lf and Cave Troll like this.
  4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Well then you best put on a pot of strong coffee, and get to it. :supergrin:

Welcome to the Forum. There is a fair amount of insight and insanity to be had here. (Though at times they blur together.) :superlaugh:

Good luck, and C-ya around.

Oscar Leigh, inn3rs3lf and Lifeline like this.
  5. inn3rs3lf

inn3rs3lf New Member

Thank you for the warm welcomes. Much appreciated!

The book is a slight blueprint for my son to follow in this life, from what I have experienced, how my actions could have been different, and at certain times, should have been. At 33, it seems as if only a short life has been lived, but that is the beauty of it, it sets up the remainder of my life, as my own blueprint to follow after it is written.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  6. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

Warm welcomes @inn3rs3lf,

You've found yourself a lovely place here. If you come often enough, you will see there are a lot of helpful, writery souls fluttering about.

I thought to respond to you because I've always wanted to visit South Africa. So anything that reminds me, grabs my attention. Yes, I've been told that it's a dangerous place in some parts and the hippos are hazardous. Still, it's on my list of places I wish I could visit.

Also, it's lovely you are so purposeful in your current project. It's good to plan ahead and I love that you're thinking about your son as well. :)

Finally, if you're like me and would be curious about the talent when visiting a new site, you should pop over to the Writing Contest area and place a vote. The poetry and flash fiction are super quick. The short stories a little longer.

https://www.writingforums.org/writing-contests/

I hope you enjoy your time settling in and stay around for the longer term. See you about in the forums!

Linny

7. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

welcome,

8. inn3rs3lf

inn3rs3lf New Member

Thank you so much Linny!

We do indeed have a beautiful country, even here in Johannesburg where I stay. But unfortunately, I have to admit, we are riddled with crime.

This year has been particularly bad, especially in our area. We stay on small holdings (10 Acre plots) roughly 20min from Jhb central. So any form of protection here is done on your own accord. Electric fences, burglar proofing, beams and firearms. Yet they still get through. We have had roughly 7 or 8 armed robberies in a 2-3 mile radius from our place. Crazy thing is, this is roughly 80% of anywhere you stay in this part of the country.

Cape Town is legendary, and rightfully so. It is basically a foreign country really. Still wish I could pack up the family and head that side, but alas, jobs are extremely hard to come by here. I have opted for taking the family either to Canada, or Scotland. But remove the crime, and I would never want to leave this country. Ever.

I shall have a look at the link you sent and have a quick read. Always up to reading something in order to feel a piece of that person. Writing is an amazing medium to share your soul, without you even knowing it.

Oscar Leigh and VynniL like this.
  9. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

@inn3rs3lf

Hello again,

I feel for you having to live with that level of crime. I once had a work colleague who was from Jhb too. When I told him I was a little creeped out leaving the office by myself at night, he laughed. He explained a similar situation to yours and how Melbourne (Australia) is so far removed from that. I also remember briefly talking to a South African couple on a holiday in Germany. They gave me the sense they loved their country passionately, and would never want to leave, but that the crime makes it difficult. On the few occasions I have traveled, I always return home feeling grateful I lived where I live. Melbourne is a very relaxed and wonderful place to raise a family. It's nice not having to zip up, lock off and always be on the look out for unsavory activities.

I do want to visit not just South Africa, but many parts of Africa, but I know it will never happen. I'll just have to visit them in my imagination. If you post any pieces based in the region, let me know! I'd love to read. :)

Thank you also for taking the time to browse the link.

Linny

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  10. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the madhouse! :D (God, it's good to be back)
    I like seeing the diversity that occasionally pops up. Some interesting nationalities around. (I've never been overseas so a lot is exotic to me)
    This project of yours sound quite interesting. Are we talking a memoir? Would you call it that?
    Also:
    https://www.writingforums.org/faq/.
    https://www.writingforums.org/rules/.
    There you go.
    Have a beautiful day/night!:blowkiss::blowkiss: