1. Aviatrix

Aviatrix New Member

Well hello thar

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Aviatrix, Aug 10, 2010.

Hi! I'm 22, female, I live in SC USA and I'm in college. I've been writing stories since I was about eight. I was a huge bookworm when I was younger, would read more than a book a day and now I just have a low attention span or something, so it takes me a while to finish books. I still love to read, it just has to capture my attention. Or maybe I'm just lazy.

I like to game too. I play WOW and Perfect world International. I want to play the new Final Fantasy mmo when it comes out :p Whoo!

I'm currently working on a novel and other story ideas. I've been working on this novel at least three years now. It's totally evolved over the course of time. In simple terms, it's about a young man, age nineteen, and his life, his personal struggles with his faith and his sexuality.
    I'm a former Christian. So faith has always been pretty interesting to me. Nowadays I'm more trying to read about science and so on rather than religion. I currently see myself as Agnostic.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Welcome to the forum. :)

Please have a look through the Forum Rules, and the FAQ as a start. Then take a leisurely stroll through the different areas of the forum to get your bearings. Once you have a good idea where everything is, come and say hello in the Lounge or have a look at the items already up for review in the Review section.

Please remember that as a full participation workshop. You are required to give two (2) constructive reviews of posted items prior to posting your own work. Thereafter, two reviews for every post of your own work is the expected standard. Remember that two is only a minimum.

Now, why do we have this requirement? Because we have a very different philosophy here than you will find in most other forums. We are not a refrigerator door to pin up work with a colorful magnet for all the world to see. Our forum is not about getting reviewed. It’s about giving reviews and in the process of actually giving the review, improving your own writing.

Unfortunately, we do not host Flame Wars nor Pie Fights. We at writingforums.org feel that there are enough places on the net already catering to those needs. ;)

Have fun! :D

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Aviatrix, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Please read How to Use the Review Room before you post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

4. Shinn

Shinn Banned

Hi there Aviatrix and welcome to WF :D

5. Zane

Zane New Member

Hi Aviatrix, welcome :)

I´m waiting for Final Fantasy XIII Versus, but according to square enix´s information, the release date is set for december of 2011 :(

6. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Hey thar and welcome! :D

7. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Oh dear, you play WoW. :p I tried Perfect World a year or two ago, and I can't remember anything about it.. Anyway, welcome. :)

8. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Hello and welcome

9. Tessie

Tessie Contributor Contributor

Hello Aviatrix and welcome!

10. JessaNova

JessaNova New Member

Hope you enjoy your stay! Welcome!

11. Sang Hee

Sang Hee New Member

Hello!
    I guess I'm one of the few who haven't started as a bookworm. I've read like 3 or 4 fantasy books when I was around 10-13 years old and from then I only drew upon my emotions and imagination. I guess I got more inspired by fantasy pictures by artists like Clyde Caldwell and Luis Royo.
    It amazes me that you play WoW and still can find enthusiasm to write. I used to play the game for 2 years and after that I found myself totally creatively incapacitated. Now I'm recovering.