1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Guess I should introduce myself since it looks like I'll be staying a while.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GingerCoffee, Mar 4, 2013.

I like it here.

I'm a nurse practitioner in an infectious disease specialty who could just be having a mid-life crisis. I'm not sure yet. I've always enjoyed seeing one more place, learning one more thing, and starting one more job. I've been in my current position, self-employed in private practice, more than 20 years now and it's just not as exciting as it once was. My son's off in grad school with only 4 more months to go and I've been single since he was born. That makes me a single empty nester who is ready to start the next adventure.

Then along came a desire to write and a story that poured out. Now I'm in the process of actually turn it into something readable. That means learning to write. I'm making progress both on the book and on my skills. And most importantly, I just absolutely love it. Even the critiques of my writing have been uplifting, as odd as that might sound. When you recognize you don't write like those people around you who are obviously great writers, for the most part there are no ego issues with critiques of your own work.

Feel free to point out pedantic errors in my posts, I have forgotten a whole lot of grammar over the years and I appreciate the corrections. I'm already sharing my work with other writers so I may not share any of it here just yet.

With that, nice to meet you all.

2. Sanjuricus

Sanjuricus Active Member

I wholeheartedly approve this product and/or service! :) /salute

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Welcome to Writing Forums, GingerCoffee!

I hope you find what you're looking for here, whatever your interests in writing.

This forum aims to provide the best workshopping resources on the internet, and to that end we have a few rules which you should familiarise yourself with before you get stuck in. The main section of the site is the Writing Workshop, where members can post their writing in order to receive critique of their work.

However, before we allow members to post their work, they must have met some basic requirements. Firstly, you must have been a member for fourteen days, and have made twenty posts on the forum overall (please note, posts in Word Games do not count towards this). This is so that members, when they post their work, have familiarised themselves with the forums and contributed to them (as well as hopefully learned something for themselves). Secondly, members must provide two constructive reviews of other people's work for each piece of their own that they wish to post. This is because we believe that the focus of workshopping should be equally upon giving reviews as receiving them, as they allow a writer to practice and improve their editing skills, which they can then apply to their own writing.

Beyond the Writing Workshop, you will find that we have extensive forums for discussion of aspects of writing, as well as a community area for general discussion. We also run periodic short story and poetry contests, which are good for challenging yourself and expanding your skills. The requirements of the Writing Workshop don't apply to the contests, so new members are allowed (nay, encouraged!) to get stuck in and enter!

If you have any questions or problems, then the moderators (myself, Lemex and Dante Dases) should be your first port of call. Any technical problems with the site itself should be directed to Daniel, the site administrator and owner. I would recommend you have a look over the rules so that you know what to expect, and what is expected. But aside from that, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Banzai

4. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Hi Gingercoffee, welcome on board.

5. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Welcome, Ginger! What is your story about?

6. GingerCoffee

Hmmm, how much to give away on a public forum full of writers. ;)

Book one centers around a girl in an isolated village where the outside world is a threat. Her self esteem rides a roller coaster from complete competence and self reliance when she's alone in the forest alone, to a bullied nothing when she's in the village.

There's some generation gap, sexism, and a theme, which won't make sense from what I've revealed so far, heavy on why people believe false things and the problems that natural flaw in human thinking causes.

Later there's an interaction with the outside world, the threat, and a whole bunch of parallels between the large city and the village.

In book two, the protag is a girl from the city who makes the best of being a smart cookie in the bottom of the bag. There's a main character that ties the two stories together, a lot of social commentary and a reasonably positive ending.

How's that for, the story is really very well developed but I don't want to reveal too much?

7. GingerCoffee

Just wanted to add how much I like the place so far. It's great. :D

8. supportivemember

supportivemember Banned

("...welcome to writersforum, admittedly one of the best writer's forums going..." went the goblin not quite sure what to write next and totally unable to point out anyone's pedantic errors in posts for all his pedantic errors then, saying "...nah, instead I'll listen and then you'll be able to make lots and lots of errors here where slowly you'll see those errors for yourself, and by it you'll then build upon the bedrock of your own experience rather than those shortcuts of this or that writing rule...", and with that the goblin just stamped his foot hard upon the red welcoming carpet turning it green, saying "...nah, you humans have it all wrong red means stop where green means go, so green carpet between us, yes that's better isn't it...")

9. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Hi Ginger, did you really only join this site 3 days ago? Who did you sleep with to get such a high promotion to senior member so quick?

Only kidding, I have learnt so much here in a quite a short time and I hope you do too. I just tend to spend too much time here.... be careful... it's addictive...

10. GingerCoffee

I'm excited about my novel. I also know how much I need to learn to do the story justice, and there's something easier about interacting with a forum than reading 'how to write' materials. I'm doing both, and working with a writer's critique group.

How about yourself? I see you are also a newly promoted member. :)

11. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

lol what are you insinuating? That I'm some kind of forum whore?

I agree; How To manuals? Dummy's Guides? No thanks, this place is worth it's literary weight in gold - enchanté - we shall walk this path of knowledge together and meet at the Published Writer's Xmas party!

12. GingerCoffee

"Ahh, but the red carpet is not meant to welcome, it's meant to honor those displaying themselves upon it," said the newly arrived human. "But I do indeed find green a sensible choice. I deserve no honors yet."