1. secularzarathustra

secularzarathustra New Member

Hello Everyone

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by secularzarathustra, Oct 20, 2007.

Hi. My name is John Tennyson and I just found this forum today. I've spent some time browsing through this site's content, and I think that I've found a place where I can share my interest in reading and writing with others online.

I currently live in Vancouver, but I've lived in New York, Tennessee, Jaipur, Montreal, and sundry place in between. I have an M.A. in Cultural Anthropology and Social Theory, and I am getting ready to start a PhD program in, probably, Comparative Literature. Other interests include, of course, reading and writing, linguistics and philology, the history and development of the English and Persian languages, and open source software development.

Some of my main literary interests include Jorge Luis Borges, Salman Rushdie, Sir Richard F. Burton, Philip K. Dick, Samuel Delaney, Shakespeare, Chaucer, Thomas Carlyle, Rudyard Kipling, George Orwell, Dante, Spenser, the Thousand Nights and a Night, Omar Khayyam, Rumie, Hafez, the ancient (as opposed to the Hellenistic except for Plutarch) Greeks, any good novel, and pretty much any work in the development of western philosophy. I approach literature from a more aesthetic perspective rather than other -isms dominant in current literary theory/criticism.

I am an avid reader, and over the course of my time here I intend to actively participate in this site's features, including the book review section. Hopefully, I'll even get a little writing help along the way :)

I look forward to getting to know you as a community of writers and readers well.

2. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Welcome to the Writing forums. You seem like a well-read man with a lot to offer. Although, you might want to keep Salman Rushdie rather far from me. :)

Here's a basic welcome from all of us. It should be obvious, but incase it isn't, let me explain. The Writing Problems Area is exclusively where opinions on different ways to write, blockages in writing styles and similar problems can be discussed. In the Review Rom, you can get critical appreciation and/or analysis of your written material. Behold, you must first review two pieces of writing before posting your own. This is ensure the pieces are evaluated to the most. Other than this, we have Writing Cotnests, weekly and monthly, where you can submit your writing. We also have Word games, Book Discussion and so on, classified under Community interaction. It may interest you if you're just hanging around.

adamant has been kind enough to put many of the things I have mentioned or missed out on in one comprehensive place. If you want to check it out, see the Newbie Packets:
    Noobie Packets! - Writing Forums

Enjoy it here, and don't feel shy to ask for help. We are all here to teach and learn in a mutual environment. And we hope you can do the same.

Regards and Best Wishes!

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello John, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room on this site, therefore, is a true workshop, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

4. secularzarathustra

Thank you for the welcome and information Cogito and anthraxx.

5. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

hey, welcome to the site John. i am Heather and can normally be found creeping around here somewhere or other. if you ever want anything reviewing, need some help or just wanna chat then send a PM my way and I'll be happy to help. i hope you enjoy it here and i look forward to seeing you around more often :)
    Heather

6. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Good to have you here. You would appear to be a very worthy addition to the site. I hope our humble works measure up to your favoured weighty tomes. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Also if you have the time, please feel free to enter our writing competitions. Details in these links.

Short Story Contest (11) - Theme: Travel - Writing Forums

Weekly Poetry Contest 23 - Writing Forums

7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Welcome :D

8. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

Hello John. Hope you enjoy the forums, welcome.

9. secularzarathustra

Thanks for all the introductions guys, and especially for those that posted any links. They have really helped me learn the site layout and start to get a feel for it.

Alright, gotta go read the submissions for the weekly contest!

10. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Heya, happy belated welcome! I hope that you're settling in alright and that you've made lots of new friends and are getting on well with the forums.

11. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Hello and welcome to the forum. I hope that your time here with all of us is enjoyable and that you find the information around the place to be most helpful with your writing endeavors.
    I hope that you take the time to take a look and join in on the weekly poetry and/or short story contests. They can be quite enjoyable.
    Well if you would ever like a review simply send me a PM and I will try and give a helpful review of your work.
    WF has become home to many wonderful writers and their amazing work and has now become a very close community and I do hope that you decide to stick around and be a part of our growing community for years to come.
    See you around the boards.
    Torana