1. Zick

Zick New Member

Hello, fellow creatures of writing.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Zick, Jul 8, 2016.

My name is Zick. I have pulled myself out of a dark, terrible recess in the eternal abyss of the introverted soul to participate in the community you all have created here.
    In the past I have been active on internet forums, but at some point fell off the face of the Earth, into deep space hibernation, and have been estranged ever since. I know few fellow writers in my day-to-day life, so I am extremely pleased to virtually meet you all.

As we extend our arms to shake hands I attempt to get a firm grip and solidify a decent first impression, but the skin of our conjoined palms seem slippery and the hold is unbalanced. Our hands bob up and down awkwardly for a few seconds and when we let go my hand comes away moist. Is this my sweat? I ask myself nervously.

My favourite authors are Kafka and Dostoyevsky, I live in Canada, am 25 years old, and I write music, poetry and am currently dipping my feet in the vast, deep ocean of story telling. I cannot swim, it is terrifying. I am currently on a farm seclusion vacation on the opposite side of my country, thus have even fewer people to discuss writing with. Anyone is free to drop me a line, ask for an opinion, really anything. I feel detached and I want to be consumed, amalgamated into the whole. Writing is all I can remember ever wanting to do, although I am not terribly good at it. You are beautiful and I hope we can be friends.

Oscar Leigh and Sniam like this.
  2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Hi Zick!

Welcome to WF. :) Haha, I enjoyed reading your intro. Very unique. :) Do you already know what kind of story you're going to write? A short, or maybe a novel?

Here's our New Member Quick Start to get you started. See you around!

-Kat

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

Good morning!
    You intro is fantastic! I'm beautiful?:supercute:Writing too is all I want to do and I really hope we can be friends too!
    Is there any genres you write (or enjoy reading)?
    See you around!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  4. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the madhouse! :D
    Nice intro! Showing off your writing muscles I see! :superyesh:
    There's actually a number of quite introverted people here, as well as a pretty large supply of depression and anxiety. Plenty to relate to and even offer advice.
    Here's your free uniform!;
    Straightjacket for WritingForums.jpg
    :p
    Have a beautiful day! :blowkiss:Oscar out!:brb:

5. Sniam

Sniam Member

Hi Zick, and welcome (back) onto the magnificent world wide web :)
    I do hope you'll get less nervous when you'll know more about all of this. Not all of us want to eat you right off the bat ! Though you might want to be wary of Oscar, I think he is a dog. I'm glad you decided to join, and I hope you'll fit right in.
    Since you said it is fine to ask anything (yaaaay), may I ask what your favorite quote (or saying or sentence) is ? Mine is "If you had fought like a man, you wouldn't have to die like a dog".
    See you soon ! (waving hand)

Sniam

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  6. Oscar Leigh

Lies! Filthy lies! Dogs die with great dignity I tell you! We- I mean they are noble creatures! No I am not a dog. It's just a funny picture, you see? Shh.:whistle:

7. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

Yes, Oscar is clearly not a dog, in the same way I am not a bear.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  8. Oscar Leigh

There are no other mammals in this forum than humans. I don't see why anyone would think otherwise.

9. FireWater

FireWater Senior Member

Really cool intro - welcome.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  10. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

Hello Zick

I'm glad you found us all lurking here, many of us (Or at least me) are similar to you in the fact that we can't swim in this ocean of storytelling, even though we give a fantastic illusion that we do,

Hope you enjoy your stay here, to the left there's cake and cookies/biscuits and to the right there are various drinks that you can help yourself to :)

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  11. Zick

Zick New Member

Awh, thanks everyone for such a warm welcome! Ya'll are fantastic! (And thank you for the cookies :))

@KaTrian I would love to try a novel someday, but it can be hard enough for me to troop through a short story. I have finished a few short pieces, but nothing I am completely in love with.

@I.A. By the Barn I don't concern myself too much with genre. If you read the quote I'm posting below you will see the kind of stuff I like to read. I figure that I could never read every book, so I have to prioritize, and read mostly classic literature.

@Oscar Leigh Thanks for the uniform, it's comfy!

@Sniam I do! It's from Kafka "I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound or stab us. If the book we're reading doesn't wake us up with a blow to the head, what are we reading for? So that it will make us happy, as you write? Good Lord, we would be happy precisely if we had no books, and the kind of books that make us happy are the kind we could write ourselves if we had to. But we need books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us. That is my belief."

Thanks again for the kind words and taking time to make me feel welcome everybody! I just had the thought it might be nice to say what we are currently reading. I'm reading Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey and Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche, both are excellent so far!

Oscar Leigh likes this.