1. Bumfoot

Bumfoot Member

Hello Forum People!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bumfoot, May 31, 2014.

I joined a few days ago and have been practicing my procrastination skills by avoiding my Newbie Intro. :)

I began studying music at the age of 5 and by the time I was a tween, I had mastered 7 instruments, my favorite being the piano. I wrote my own melodies, but never lyrics. As a teen, life turned upside down and my piano was sold. I was lost without my best friend. Already an introvert, I turned inward even further. If I wasn’t reading, I was writing. Journaling. Dreaming. Imagining. The walls of my bedroom were plastered with quotes I treasured and tidbits of my own writing. I had the largest collection of push-pins and my parents were pissed that my walls were full of holes.

As I grew up, my writing continued. I would write songs, and with my new used guitar, which I taught myself to play, I added lyrics. I wrote poems, short stories, essays, and greeting cards. I would create as gifts to family members. And I was the odd child.

I divorced my abusive ex, who decided to leave the country (Thank you Universe!), and I raised two kids on my own. I wrote stories for them to help them deal with whatever they were going through. I didn’t know what I was doing as a mom, so I covered it with creativeness.

I was a licensed daycare provider so I could stay home with them until school aged. In the evenings, I wrote. Mostly marketing and business writing for money, and creative writing for fun. My writing, which used to fill a few pretty boxes, has grown to fill a file cabinet.

When the kids hit school age, I cold-called some major companies in the area and actually got myself hired as a writer! No college, just sheer determination and a creative resume. Boy, was THAT a blessing wrapped in sandpaper (a saying borrowed from Lisa Nichols). I was great with the writing part. It was Corporate America I had a problem adjusting to! Long story short, I learned, advanced, and worked the next 15 years writing technical documentation in various industries…software, hardware, government, public, private.

So here I am today. Trained in writing and editing concise, to the point, make-it-understandable-in-English-to-any-country-buying-the-product documents. And writing THIS intro is really, really difficult for me!

I have much to learn and I am very much looking forward to it all! My day job is black and white, as it should be, and I am grateful for the paycheck. And my heart is yearning for freedom and I am grateful I found this forum to help me start this new journey back to playing again!

P.S. I have many favorite books, but the book that most inspires me to write is Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. His double layer writing (as I call it) moves me like music. ;)

2. pirate1802

pirate1802 Member

Heart of darkness is one of my favouites as well. Welcome. :D

3. pirate1802

pirate1802 Member

Heart of darkness is one of my favouites as well. Welcome. :D

4. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Welcome to the forum. :)

Music! And song writing! I love to... look at my very expensive and, as it turns out, solely decorative guitar. :p Alas, much as I wanted to have that facet, it wasn't meant to be. I took lessons. I tried. I suck. :oops:

Please have a quick read through the New Member Quick Start where you'll find link to the Forum Rules, and the FAQ.

Have fun! :D

Wrey

5. Bumfoot

Bumfoot Member

Thanks!

6. Bumfoot

Bumfoot Member

Don't give up on the guitar...just have fun...make up your own chords. I do!

I read through the Quick Start. Have questions, or had. Long day. Can't remember. Most not have been too important (as my father would say) or I was lying. :)

minstrel likes this.