1. Starbug2

Starbug2 Member

Somewhere in Michigan. The non-trollish part. ;)

Angela stepped into the forum for the first time...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Starbug2, Mar 14, 2016.

...She smiled at the unfamiliar faces, closing the door behind her. "Umm, Hello," she said nervously, "I'm Angie, I'm 27 and I live in Michigan. I am currently reading the 3rd Mistborn book by Brandon Sanderson, and I just joined this forum today. I haven't written very much aside from song lyrics, and I'm wondering if I have it in me to write flash fiction or short stories. How's everyone doing?"

The people smiled back at her, approached her and said....

Witchymama likes this.
  2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

..... "Angie, poppet, what took you so long?" The devilishly attractive hispanic ops manager took her hand, flouting all protocol and decorum.

..... "Um, I don't know you." Angie was taken aback by his forwardness.

..... "You will, darling. You will. My name is Wrey. Come, there's tea and cake in the west drawing room. Everyone's there." Wrey glanced at Angie's limp hand in his and realized his error. "Sorry, luv. I forget not everyone knows I'm gay. No harm meant." His rakish smile was so bright it blinded. He droped her hand carefully so as not to add insult to injury. "Come along! They're all waiting." He handed her a pamphlet that read Forum Rules and strolled through the entrance to the west wing.

..... Gay, Angie thought to herself. What a shame, because... uff, the things I'd do. ;)

3. Starbug2

Starbug2 Member

Angie briefly looked at the rule book, noting that there wasn't anything listed that she'd be likely to do, and put it in her purse for further inspection later. She hurried over to Julie, "Hi! I love that gown you're wearing, it's beautiful without being too formal! Shall we get some tea together?"

Witchymama and KokoN like this.
  4. Wreybies

..... As Wrey continued into the west drawing room, the hushed roar of lively conversation and the sound of fine china and crystal came from the end of the hall.

..... She came in with narrative and dialogue right off the bat, he mulled. This one will do just fine. Just fine indeed.

Witchymama likes this.
  5. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

Hello! Welcome! I'm also new here, also from the Midwest, and I also haven't written much other than poetry which isn't the same as song lyrics but kinda similar-ish. I'm also trying to write something longer like a short story or novel. It's hard though!! Nice to meet you! :)

Witchymama likes this.
  6. Starbug2

Starbug2 Member

Angie returned to Wrey with her Earl Grey tea and lemon cake. "So, Wrey, is it?" Angie asked, "I see you've been attending this even since 2008! That's a good long time. What kind of writing do you like to do, and what exactly do you do here?"

Angie looked over at this new person to join their group. Their name tag read "KokoN."

"Hello! What's your name and how are you today? Shall I just call you Koko?"

7. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

"Yep, you can call me Koko. It's not my real name, but I prefer some anonymity on the internet." Koko smiled wryly. "How are you today? What kind of stories are you interested in writing, or working on?"

Witchymama likes this.
  8. Starbug2

Starbug2 Member

"It's so wonderful to meet you, Koko!" Angie said, giving a small curtsy, "As I said I'm reading the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson, it's wonderful. I would like to try to write fantasy or sci-fi, or just short stories of wonder and beauty."

9. Wreybies

..... Wrey broke off the conversation in which he was engaged and made a note to remember the name of the handsome young man with impossibly big hazel eyes and mop of artlessly perfect blond hair. He turned his attention to Angie.

..... "What kind of writing do I do? That's a good question isn't it? I like Science Fiction and I've been getting into some Fantasy as of late. I'll be honest and tell you it's not the kind of stuff you'll want to leave on the coffee table where the kids may find it - or granny." He winked at her hoping she would get the hint without having to go into too much detail. "I've got one on the fire that's a fantasy story where the handsome sailor and the shy little lord are off on an adventure to find the origin of their people, and another that's a bit darker about this gorgeous Brazilian fellah and his alabaster lover who are going to save the universe in these two ancient sentient space ships."

Witchymama likes this.
  10. Starbug2

Starbug2 Member

"Oh how fascinating!" Angie said, "I would also like to try to write a children's story for my 2 year old girl, maybe a brand new princess that nobody's heard of. Though honestly i'm not even sure where to begin with any of this."

11. Wreybies

..... "Writing for kids is tough stuff, have no doubt. Don't let the youth of the audience fool you. The standards are tight and the expectation is high. Best of luck, truly."

Witchymama likes this.
  12. Starbug2

Starbug2 Member

"Is it really? I wouldn't actually know, but it seems like it would be easier."

Witchymama likes this.
  13. Wreybies

..... "Sorry for leaving so abruptly, Ang. The gal with whom you were chatting, Julie, was a party crasher and we had to show her out. You asked me earlier what I do around here and I failed to answer you for being distracted by that pretty hazel-eyed fellow with whom you saw me chatting. Anywho, sadly, showing the door to party crashers is one of my duties. It really sucks. I would so much rather be here with the guests making sure everyone has what they need to have a good time. But, that's just how it is. Every quarter has two sides."

14. Starbug2

Starbug2 Member

"Of course, someone's got to monitor these things." Angie smiled. "I don't quite know where to begin, is there a place I can go where people can suggest ideas or beginner challenges for me?"

Witchymama likes this.
  15. Wreybies

..... "Yes, yes, of course! Ok.... That table over there is where people are reading kids stories. When you have something that you would like to get some feedback on, that's the table. There are some requisites before they'll let you bring your own stuff to that table that you'll find in the pamphlet I gave you earlier. If you just want to try your hand at stories in general and want a little bit of competitive action as a motivator, then it's the table over there on the other side of the room. No requisites other than you have to follow the theme on offer. If they ask you to join in on poker, it's an 'at your own risk' kind of thing. When you have just general questions about the story writing process, then it's this table over here."

Witchymama likes this.
  16. Starbug2

Starbug2 Member

"Thank you so very much, good sir! It was lovely meeting you, may I seek you out with further inquiries or conversation?"

Witchymama likes this.
  17. Wreybies

..... "Absolutely. I am ever and always at your disposal." Wrey took Angie's hand again, feeling that the ice had been broken, and placed a courtly kiss upon its back. "If you'll excuse me, I need to get back to that hazel-eyed beauty before someone else catches his eye."

;)

(btw, this was fun) :agreed:

18. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

(Nice writing, you two. ;))

As Wrey made his way to his aforementioned target, Koko turned back to Angie. "That's cool that you're interested in sci-fi and fantasy," she said. "I mostly like writing in one of those genres or some other alternate reality. Also, children's literature is a noble goal. As Wrey said, children definitely have standards just like adults; their stories are just shorter. Since I'm going to school to be an elementary school teacher, perhaps someday I can buy your books for my classroom. I hope you like the forum here." Koko gestured to the room, summing it up in one sweeping motion. "Wrey already explained most of it. I really look forward to reading your work!"

Witchymama likes this.
  19. A lake.

A lake. Member

Just as Angie was ready to begin a new life in this new place she had arrived in a thunderous boom shakes the entire building. The door Angie had just walked in explodes into a million splinters. Wrey tumbles gallantly to his object of desire and heroically covers the lad from harm. Koko gasps as dust around the door settles revealing ALAKE a Biker with Hollywood good looks and a AK-47 rifle.

20. Starbug2

Starbug2 Member

Angie brushes the dust and debris from her emerald green satin evening gown, and approaches A LAKE in a confrontational manner, carefully sidestepping the broken glass that used to be her china teacup and saucer. "And just who might you be?"

Witchymama likes this.
  21. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

JLT, having just walked into the room, realizes that's it's going to be just like that high school reunion he went to a few years ago, where absolutely nobody recognized him. "These are my people," he thought. "But they sure aren't how I remembered them." He also wonders if it would be appropriate to reveal his superpowers at this point, but A Lake seems to be a nice guy, and anybody can be stuck with an AK-47 with a jammed trigger. It happens all the time.

Witchymama likes this.
  22. A lake.

A lake. Member

Surveilling the room A LAKE shoulders his AK47. "I'm A LAKE, My shoreline has no discernible water mark, my depth has never been sounded." "Magical storms and alien sea monsters make my waters dangerous to man or God!"

Witchymama likes this.
  23. Starbug2

Starbug2 Member

Angela snorts. "Aaaaanyway," she says, "Nice entrance. You have quite the imagination."

Witchymama and A lake. like this.
  24. A lake.

A lake. Member

Pulling a smart phone from his Harley Davidson jacket A LAKE scans the room intently obviously searching for something or someone.
    "Just keeping my eyes open incase of trolls Mam." Can't stand the smelly things.

Witchymama likes this.
  25. Starbug2

Starbug2 Member

I wonder which fictional universe he's referencing. Maybe his own? Should I tell him that I've made myself into a Mistborn? Would he even get understand? Angie just smiled at him. Best not to tell him. It gives me the advantage if he decides to betray me.

"I hadn't realized that it was that kind of party. I'll rely on you to protect me, then?"