1. Iron Orchid

Iron Orchid New Member

A brief intro...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Iron Orchid, Jul 16, 2012.

Hullo,

This is the topic I struggle most with, introducing myself, as it's hard to sum up myself in even a long passage.

I hail from the North-West of England, currently living in the Midlands. I have been writing for as long as I can remember and have always had an obsession with the written word.

I finally plucked up the courage to join a forum of like-minded people (writers of all types) after mulling around a few forums that gave me little boosts but not too much in the way or practical advice and encouragement.

Currently I am undertaking a re-write (or actually putting lots of scraps together) of the novel I have been rolling around my head for almost 10 years now. I write mostly fantasy, with some sci-fi and erotica involved, though I have written some short horror pieces too. I would love to dip into other genres as an exercise to stretch my skills and imagination too.

I am looking for challenges and new inspirations and I hope to meet some good people along the way and let you all get to know me a little better. Anything else you want to know, I'm always open to questions.

2. Vanlande

Vanlande New Member

Always wanted to live where you do! I write fantasy and sci-fi as well, though I can't say I've delved into erotica before. But like I said in my topic, I'd love to check out another similar writer's stuff!

3. Iron Orchid

Iron Orchid New Member

Ha it's not that bad where I live now, lots of green and even some sun between the rain clouds.

I always get a bit of a shocked silence when I tell people who have already known me a little that I write erotica, I think it's because they expect me to be a little more loose moraled when I'm quite normal, though I can be open and frank about sexual themes in the appropriate situations. I think it's down to the people who have made erotica "dirty" for the reason why some people don't like to admit to writing it. I firmly believe that my being honest and grown-up about it got me a job in a bookshop once because I showed maturity beyond my years.

Ah what was that you were saying on your thread about going on about yourself? I'm doing it now.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Welcome to Writing Forums, Iron Orchid!

I hope you find what you're looking for here, whatever your interests in writing.

This forum aims to provide the best workshopping resources on the internet, and to that end we have a few rules which you should familiarise yourself with before you get stuck in. The main section of the site is the Writing Workshop, where members can post their writing in order to receive critique of their work.

However, before we allow members to post their work, they must have met some basic requirments. Firstly, you must have been a member for fourteen days, and have made twenty posts on the forum overall (please note, posts in Word Games do not count towards this). This is so that members, when they post their work, have familiarised themselves with the forums and contributed to them (as well as hopefully learned something for themselves). Secondly, members must provide two constructive reviews of other people's work for each piece of their own that they wish to post. This is because we believe that the focus of workshopping should be equally upon giving reviews as receiving them, as they allow a writer to practice and improve their editing skills, which they can then apply to their own writing.

Beyond the Writing Workshop, you will find that we have extensive forums for discussion of aspects of writing, as well as a community area for general discussion. We also run periodic short story and poetry contests, which are good for challenging yourself and expanding your skills.

If you have any questions or problems, then the moderators (myself, Cogito, Lemex and Dante Dases) should be your first port of call. Any technical problems with the site itself should be directed to Daniel, the site administrator and owner. I would recommend you have a look over the rules so that you know what to expect, and what is expected. But aside from that, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Banzai

5. Vanlande

Vanlande New Member

Hey, I said on mine to ask away, so go on! I love to meet and learn about new people. I guess what erotica comes down to for me is that old saying, write what you know. I don't think mine would be very good,so I stick to what I'm good at hahaha. But hey, I've never really tried it either, so maybe I have a knack for it.I'm all about learning new things.