1. eleanna

eleanna New Member

Hello from Edinburgh!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by eleanna, Feb 26, 2009.

Hello everyone!! I had stumbled on the Writing Forums at some time in the past, when I was looking for Creative writing pages. It didn't fail to grab my attention so at the time I bookmarked the address. After a couple of months, I found myself here again...this time more interested at the topics and the whole feel of the forum, keen also to participate, so I thought to register. :D

Hence, to introduce myself. I'm living in Edinburgh and more widely in Scotland for the past 20 odd years, starting from when I first came here as a university student from Greece. Professionally, I have no relation to literature writing - but since I remember myself, I was writing odd bits and pieces here and there. The writing and the piano playing were the two things that helped me a lot at times in my life when I felt the need to express myself and vent some steam or frustration off.

That continued until I thought this year to explore the writing process more so I joined a Creative writing workshop which I enjoy immensely. It will sound a cliche but yes, I hope at some point to embark into writing a novel, but at the moment, I'm content to try my hand into creating short stories.

Together with the writing, the reading comes along, hand in hand. I enjoy reading almost everything, from light works like the Twilight saga and chick-lit titles like "Bridget Jone's diary" to classics such as the great Hemingway's For whom the bell tolls or the provocative but equally thrilling Last exit to Brooklyn by H.Selby Jr. My favourite authors though have to be South American such as Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Isabelle Allende to just name two.

So I look forward to participate in the topics, read stories, reviewing them and try to post a story or two also later on. Really nice to find you guys, I'm glad to be here!! :D

Eleanna

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Eleanna, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

I'm glad you gave us a second look.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. Dalouise

Dalouise New Member

Hi and welcome! :)

4. Vergil

Vergil New Member

Also from Edinburgh! Hiya!

5. eleanna

eleanna New Member

Thank you everyone for welcoming me in your great forum! I've been going through topics and they seem very interesting and fun so far.

Hiya Vergil! Yep, Edinburgh is the place that I laid my roots into. Love this place to bits :D