1. pkwrite78

pkwrite78 New Member

New and need some Guidance

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pkwrite78, Dec 31, 2012.

I am new here from India, working for American call centers, I am planing to pursue a career in writing, but confused where to start and how to, I need some guidance form members here.

Thanks in Advance

2. Elvee

Elvee New Member

Write, write, write. Write some more. Write about things you care about, things you dream up, what you had for lunch; it doesn't matter. Write badly. Write well. Just get it all on paper.

Taking and giving criticism on forums like this one sharpens your skills. Take classes at a local or online college. Submit articles, short stories, and books for publication to any reputable publisher that will have you. Always keep learning and growing. But most importantly, don't give up.

Writing isn't easy. It doesn't pay well. It makes us obsessed with perfection. But, somehow, if you're meant to be a writer, the little voice in the back of your mind will nag you constantly until you are.

1 person likes this.
  3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Elvee is right, but you also need to read a lot. Reading widely -- beyond simply what you enjoy and the genres you write -- will help give life and imagination to your stories. Reading provides the fuel for your writing, and really they are two sides of the same writing coin.

4. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

Read, write, watch, listen, observe.
    These are probably the best things I can tell you that will help you become the writer you so wish to be. Just be prepared to do it in large amounts.

5. midnight candle

midnight candle New Member

nothing to add to the above answers. only other suggestion is to write in the same genre that you like to read. in time you will find that your writing progresses away from your genre, but analysing what you like to read will enable you to write better.

6. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Hi pkwrite78, welcome to the forums.

I can't add anything more to what the others' have already said - practice, practice, practice - and I should practice what I preach!

7. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

They took our jobs!

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

namaste, pk...

what do you want to write?... and for what market [british or american or your own country's]?

can you write fluently in the idioms and such of that language's market?

i mentor many aspiring writers in india and other parts of the world, to whom english is not their first language, so if you need any help along the way, don't hesitate to drop me an email...

love and hugs, maia