1. UpstateWriter

UpstateWriter Member

Checking in...happy to find this forum

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by UpstateWriter, May 14, 2015.

Happy to have found this forum.

A little obligatory introduction.

A bit about my writing history: I started writing religiously in 1992, and in 1997 I had what most writers would consider a breakthrough---I had three short stories accepted for publication in literary magazines. They didn't pay well or anything at all, but that wasn't the point. Only a fool writes for riches. That same year my life underwent some changes. I moved, changed jobs, and, for reasons I still don't understand, I stopped writing. I lost that spark, my voice, the drive to sit and transcribe the stories in my head onto paper. In hindsight, I kick and curse myself for my lack of motivation at that time. Nearly twenty years is a long damn time to have writer's block.

Life is replete with turning points, and in 2015 I found myself in the same environment, in the same living conditions, that existed for me in 1997. And so, with a lot of free time, I resolved to try again, hoping I could muster the voice within and communicate the stories swirling inside my head. That's where I sit today. I'm starting to rediscover that voice. At nearly fifty years old, I am convinced that through hard work and dedication, I can find the success I first discovered nearly two decades ago.

I believe writing is a calling: we don't chose to be writers, writing is in our blood. Some days I manage a paragraph. Other days I can muddle through several pages. My current goal is to write and revise every day, and try not to concern myself with how many sentences, paragraphs, or pages I complete on any given day. Writers have good and bad days. That's a given.

Currently I am polishing two short stories, and am about fifty pages into a novel that's developed in my head over many, many years.

jodie_nye9663 likes this.
  2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Welcome to the forum! :) Sounds like you'll fit right. Also congratulations for having had your works published. That's great!

Here's our New Member Guide to get you started. Without further ado, explore, participate, and have fun!

-Kat

3. UpstateWriter

UpstateWriter Member

Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to hanging out here.

mike

4. Vytas

Vytas New Member

As another brand new member, your story certain strikes me as similar, although I lack your successes. Or even your output. But I'm happy to see another 40+ person looking for a writing rebirth. If I can figure how, I'll try to follow you or stalk you or whatever, and see if I can comment on some of your submissions. I guess that will be a couple weeks, so I'll start with others.

Good luck.

v3

5. jodie_nye9663

jodie_nye9663 Member

Hello

You will love it here! I have only been here a week but already feel at home. I can't get over how nice and professional everyone is.
    Its a breath of fresh air to communicate freely with others who are so like minded :)
    And a little addictive. I'm currently in the middle of my end of year exams at university, but despite the books and course work calling, I can't tear myself away for long.

KaTrian likes this.
  6. UpstateWriter

UpstateWriter Member

Unlike baseball, a writer's skill do not deteriorate with age, fortunate for us. I doubt I will post works in progress publically, because, from what I've read, it hinders one's chances of the work actually getting picked up and published. Though I'm not adverse to sharing work for criticism privately.

7. UpstateWriter

UpstateWriter Member

Thank you. It's good to have an outlet communicate with other passionate writers.

8. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome.

9. UpstateWriter

UpstateWriter Member

So, I haven't posted in a long time, but am happy to have rediscovered the forum. I have been writing. I recentely learned the importance of backing up one's work. A hard drive crash caused me to lose 150 pages of the novel I've been writing. Now I do triple backups--to an external SSD, an SD card, and a cloud. Learned my lesson.

10. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Hi welcome to the forum.

The short story contest needs more votes. Want to immerse yourself in this forum? Become a voter in the short story contest. Get started on the right foot. Make someone's day and vote for their story. The link is in my sig. :agreed: