1. kiltbill

kiltbill New Member

Hello from the Highlands of Scotland

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kiltbill, Sep 8, 2007.

Hello all,

I have enjoyed writing for many years, I have not attempted to get anything published but that is due to two factors. One: I am inordinatly lazy. Two: I do love procrastination.

Anyway, I am probably extremely deluded as many are as to the real depths of my talents as a writer. But what the hell you only live once as they say. So for that reason I have joined this forum to learn a little more about writing and what the possibilities are.

Anyway that should do as a short intro...

Me as a person...

A very old 47, married, 2 kids (No1 Son just heading off to university) EMPLOYED in a job I used to love and now I struggle with.

Anything I have missed, you can just ask me about...

kb

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Welcome to the forums, kiltbill. Where abouts in the Highlands are you? Scotland is one of my favourite places :) Anyway, I hope you enjoy the forums and find them useful. What kind of writing do you do? Take a look around, and if you need any help with anything, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm always happy to help.

3. kiltbill

kiltbill New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome Banzai, I am near Inverness. I must admit Scotland is one of my favourite places too, but then again I am very biased! :D

most of my writing is based on real life stories, with a little fiction thrown in.

4. Banzai

Inverness! My uncle lives up near there. Very nice country :)

5. kiltbill

kiltbill New Member

Whereabouts?

6. Banzai

I don't rightly know, I'm afraid... I'll have to find out :p

7. kiltbill

kiltbill New Member

lol - no worries...

How does the saying go?

You can choose your friends, but you can't choose....:D

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello kiltbill, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room on this site, therefore, is a true workshop, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

9. kiltbill

kiltbill New Member

Thanks for the welcome,

I do feel that you find much more interesting things "poking about in the dark corners" :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice, I will have a look at the Review room...

10. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Welcome! I hope you like it here. You seem to an active nice young person. I hope we can learn from you just as you wish to learn from us

11. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

welcome KiltBill, it is always nice to have a new member around here. i do not live far from Scotland myself actualy, about an hour drive from the border i think (I'll have to ask my dad :p) can i ask one stilly question, do you have a Scottish Accent?? i a assume you will but i just wanted to ask, i love Scottish accents, lol.

anyways, welcome to the boards mate, if you want anthing reveiwing, have a question or just wanna chat them make a post about it or send a PM my way, I'm always happy to help.
    Heather

12. kiltbill

kiltbill New Member

lol - I dearly wish I was young again! As for active I best say nothing, lest I incriminate myself!

I'm sure I can learn lots and thanks for the welcome...

Thanks Heather,

As a born and bred Scot I guess I do have a slight accent ;)

Appreciate the welcome...:D

13. pyrox91992

pyrox91992 New Member

happy belated welcome

14. Heather Louise

wow. i love accents, espacially the Scottish and the scouse. they are offit. :p

15. kiltbill

kiltbill New Member

Thanks... Better late than never...:)

Och lassie yer jist mesin' aboot wi an ald scot here, fit a pickle a wid get in if'n a thought ye wir really taen by the lilt o a man like mesel. Nae doobt I wid be gettin in a right fash aboot it an nae meassin...

Bit it is rare for an al loon like mesel tae be bletherin wi a lass fae across the border, if ye iver mak it up is far al be a delighted tae mak ya a bacon roll and a gran cup o tea...

:D

16. Heather Louise

hahaa, you are offit :p i am creased now :p you should talk like that all the time :D

17. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Hey there! Another belated welcome but here it goes anyways...

Welcome to the forums! Hope you settle in ok and that you find what you're looking for here, if you have any questions or anything just PM me and i'd be happy to help. Look forward to seeing you around.

And I agree with heather :D And... I only had to read once to follow it :D

18. kiltbill

kiltbill New Member

Thanks Kit,

Just looking around and searching the forums. I can understand the suggestion about reviewing first, but in all honesty I feel that jumping in and doing that seems kind of rude. However my first writing forum and i'm sure I will get the hang of it eventually.

Oh and...

Och crivvens, I am reekt gled thit you managed tae unerstan yon note thit wis posted as a reply tae yon lassie Heather (Damn fine Scots name anna) It fair warms the cockles o an ald chiels hert tae ken thit thi lost language o doric kin still be unerstood...

Mind you noo, if ye wis tae here it spoken em sure ye widnae unerstan a bloomin word, doric spikkers hae an affa habit o rattlin on at a hunert miles an oor fen they are bletherin, it's far eesier tae reed thin it is tae listen tae...

Bit nae doobt in rime ye wid manage tae catch on wi the jist o fit wis been cackled aboot.

:D

19. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Lol. I'm pretty quick at understanding things, and what i don't understand i'm good at working out :p I have a gift for understanding different languages and even dialects and accents :p

Reviewing was always something i found difficult, but there is a lot of advice on it. Your two reviews need not be masterpieces, just some helpful feedback to the author really. Just what you hope for. When I write a review (which granted should really be more often) I just try and think about how i'd react if someone had given me that review and what I hope to get out of reviews.

20. Heather Louise

why thank-you. it's what you get for having Scottish grandparents.

21. kiltbill

kiltbill New Member

Sound advice Kit... Thanks. Will have a go and see how I get on, but it's interesting just looking around just now.

22. Heather Louise

hahaa, the first time reviewing is hard as you feel like you have no right to comment on peoples work. but just give your opinion on what you have read. if you like it tell them why, if you dislike it suggest how they can improve. even simply saying "it was good" can help to be honest. try and stay vague to begin with until you build up the confindence to start giving proper reviews, like working your way up. hope this helps :)
    Heather

23. Weaselword

Weaselword Banned

Hello to the Highlands of Scotland, and hello to you, Kiltbill!

I went to Inverness on my honeymoon, which according to my son was probably some time
    in the late Cretaceous period. I have happy memories of that time. :)

24. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Hello and welcome to the forum. I hope that you have a wonderufl time here and you should check out the poetry and short story contests. They are run weekly so definately check them out as you prowl the halls here.
    Well have fun and see you round the boards.
    Torana