1. nikita

nikita New Member

Beginner writer - help needed!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nikita, Jan 14, 2012.

Hi there!

Myself Nikita, I'm a newbie in this forum as well as in writing. The objective of joining this forum is to overcome my writing block.:(

Hope you guys, welcome me and supports me towards shaping my writing skills. :confused:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Regards,
    Nikita

2. dalehileman

dalehileman New Member

First ask whether the block might simply constitute a subconscious unwillingness

3. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

The only thing that works for me is meditation. If you don't know how to meditate, I'll give you some basic instructions:

1) Sit or lay somewhere comfortable
    2) Set an alarm for 5 minutes
    3) Close your eyes
    4) Try your best to clear all the thoughts in your mind. Our minds are incredibly chatty, but every time you start thinking about something try to let it drop.
    5) (optional, but helpful) Once you're able to quiet your mind a bit, try to focus your attention on the next scene you want to write. Think about what is happening, what the setting looks like, what the characters are thinking, feeling, and saying. If other thoughts come up, gently push them out of your mind and bring your focus back to the scene.
    6) When the time is up, take a moment to collect yourself, and start writing.

The "Block" in writing, in my opinion, is all the clutter of random thoughts, emotions, worries, etc. that we carry with us throughout the day. It's like hair in a drain. If you want your creativity to flow, the best way is to clear out these thoughts, and I think the best way to do that is to meditate as I describe above. This particular meditation might not be for you, but there are thousands of variations of meditation. If it doesn't work, try a different kind of meditation. In any case, it's definitely worth 5 minutes of your time.

4. Question

Question Active Member

Can you be more specific? Are you struggling to come up with an idea of what to write or have you reached a point in your writing where you don't know where to go.

5. Dragon Boy

Dragon Boy New Member

Watch some TV or listen to some music while paying attention to the lyrics as sometimes just a word can get your imagination running. Stephen King said that he found the the inspiration to write Carrie after watching a documentary on people with extra sensory perception.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what kind of help are you asking for?

7. cari_za

cari_za New Member

If I have a mental block, I avoid writing. The moment will come where it wants to burst out my head, I never try force a story. Sometimes though life will be super busy and I'll go a few weeks without writing and eventually I just find a gap and I sit there and tell myself ok now I gotta write, I can't loose touch with it; that's when I listen to music. I have a playlist of songs that at some point made me feel something, then I write based on that feeling/s. I close my eyes and picture things, with the help of music I generally manage to picture something resembling a music video or film trailer, and that sparks off an idea for a scene.

Also I read books on writing when I'm not writing. That usually helps me get ideas. For example when I read about dialogue and how you can use dialogue to add tension (by having your characters converse but with more tension than in a normal every day conversation), conversations swirl around my mind and a few ideas start brewing. If you're strapped for cash and can't afford to buy books on writing and can't borrow any writing books from the library, try reading articles on the net. I'm subscribed to about 10 writing blogs. And I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find 100 note worthy writing blogs all worth subscribing to.

Hope that helps :)

8. dalehileman

dalehileman New Member

Thanks /funky. One way to shut them off is to count breaths or clock ticks, at the same time in your mind’s eye seeing each subsequent number. Doing so, surprisingly difficult to entertain an interfering thought

Good one Cari. Nobody doing it for pleasure should ever force himself. He may in fact discover as I hinted above that he doesn’t really enjoy writing in which case he should quit the hobby for another he might like much better

It’s the difference between gotta cuz guilt or gott cuz need