1. englishmajor:O

englishmajor:O New Member

hello I just need help understanding my professor's prompt

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by englishmajor:O, Feb 20, 2011.

Write a 6-7 page essay in which you explore and discuss a specific theme in one of the novels studied after February 9. Your analysis should demonstrate the ways in which the novel in question critically engages with contemporary cultural, political and/or philosophical values. In other words, you should be able to reflect on the novel’s significance in illuminating the historical environment in which it circulates.

The theme of the book of laughter and forgetting:
    Loss and Memory..

thankyou!

2. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

Okay, your prof wants you to discuss how the book is relevant to the time period it was written in. For example, for Lord of the Rings, you could argue that their quest to destoy Sauron's ring to stop him from taking over and enslaving everyone could be compared to fighting against the takeover of WWII Nazis. Do the same for your book. First though, you need to pick out what the theme is, and then relate it to things in real-life from when the book was written that could relate to that theme.

hope I helped.

3. englishmajor:O

englishmajor:O New Member

thankyou for your response

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you should ask your professor, not anyone else, since only s/he can tell you what is meant...