1. Canucker

Canucker New Member

Hello, I'm new and was wondering if anyone felt like helping me brainstorm

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Canucker, Mar 26, 2013.

Hello everyone, this place looks neat, figured I'd give it a go.

I'm working on a creative writing piece, for a contest, and one particular scene has been giving me fits for the last few days and I could use some ideas and inspiration to mull over.

Basically the end result is that I, as the author, run through the life achievements of the character, who has done great deeds, in a couple of short pages.

I've had some ideas so far:

1. At the funeral of the character, use personal anecdotes from all the people giving speeches to illustrate the characters good deeds (it's too dark, i don't like this idea, it needs to be positive.)

2. At an awards ceremony where the character gives a thank you speech, and talks indirectly about all the things he's done, by thanking all the people who helped him (this one just doesn't feel right.)

3. Journal entries covering a few climax moments of achievement for the character (might easily go past the page guideline I've set)

4. Just describe the character doing his thing in life for a few select days, to illustrate some of the achievements (I think this would be boring no matter how i write it)

5. ...?

Any input you have would be great, and I'll answer questions, i don't know if I'm supposed to post a full intro or whatever.

2. Xatron

Xatron Contributing Member

You should have read the forum rules before posting. We are not allowed to help you with contest/assignment work, as it should reflect your individual effort.

3. Canucker

Canucker New Member

I did read the rules, there is no part of a contest that is about individual effort, that's completely irrelevant, and furthermore I don't wish to have any help with the finished project, i'm good with that.

What I would like is some ideas about scenes where people get recognized.

Is this how you treat all new people? With snappy remarks about the rules?

Maybe I'll just watch some reward ceremony videos on youtube, see if that gives me any ideas. Does that mean youtube is going to win the prize of the contest?

Not the sort of first reply I was expecting, sir.

4. Canucker

Canucker New Member

or is this just yet another forum filled with arseholes?

5. idle

idle Active Member

Well, it's you asking for help, maybe you could follow the site's rules, however irrelevant they might seem to you...

6. Canucker

Canucker New Member

"School assignments, contest submissions, or other work that is intended to reflect your individual effort must be clearly identified as such. We will not do your work for you, and assistance will be limited."

Where does that say it's against the rules? This is your idea of limited assistance? Furthermore your reading comprehension is dismal even, for I was referring to the fact that individual effort was irrelevant to this contest I am entering, not that the rules are irrelevant.

But hey, you're a writer right, guess it's too much to expect you too READ.

I have clearly identified it as such. I'm not asking anyone to do my work for my, i'm asking to embark upon a hypothetical journey into a scene where people get honoured for their life achievements.

I should have known this is what a so called writers forum would be like, harpies the lot of you.

ugh, goodbye.

7. iolair

iolair Active Member

8. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

This may not be in the "rules" of the forum, but it is true nonetheless: if you expect to be any writer at all, you need to make these decisions yourself. A good story (regardless of length), comes from taking an idea from conception to fruition - your idea, your charcaters, your plot, your ending. Yours.

If you need to learn how to introduce characters, or develop them, for foreshadow future events, or construct character arcs, or devise subplots, there is nothing wrong with that, and you will see there are plenty of places on this site where such matters are discussed. But if you need for others to do the "brainstorming" for your story, you are not ready to enter a writing contest.

9. Xatron

Xatron Contributing Member

No, don't leave, we are so enjoying your company. We have been through so much in this half hour since you joined. I believe that through a series of long and in depth sessions of therapy i will be able to get through the pain. If you are interested we could attend some of these sessions together.

Best regards.