1. AmesWorld

AmesWorld New Member

Awkwardly he blurted "Hi"

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AmesWorld, Jan 4, 2013.

I've only recently decided to start writing once again. A quick search returned this site which I hope to explore, benefit from, and contribute to.

Most my days include a huge amount of instant message communications. Speed is the key and most everything that is written turns into an abbr. or bastardization of some kind or another. This is starting to drive me crazy. The real rub, however, is that for me it's absolutely necessary in a texting or IMS format to communicate that way. I've tried to be a bit more careful, but it just takes too much time (for me). When I'm working, speed is of paramount importance. So I've decided to separate writing (as in story telling) and communication. However my grammatical reality blurs with each SMS that flitters past my phone. I yearn for a grasp on this thing called "literature."

So here I am.

2. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Hi AmesWorld, welcome to the forums. Love the avatar.

3. AmesWorld

AmesWorld New Member

Thanks so much Trilby. My avatar is of Maizy, my furry daughter. That photo was taken during one of our day trips up to Victoria BC. It was an exceptionally sunny day.

4. Ian J.

Ian J. Active Member

Regarding the shorthand of text-speak used in everyday communications these days and full normal grammar for extended work, switching between the forms is just something you have to get used to. I use three different forms of text speak for different friends I text. One is nearly full English, while another is at the extreme opposite with just about every abbreviated word you can think of. I've gotten used to adapting and don't have a problem with it today.

For getting back used to normal grammar, I suggest reading everyday without fail. Don't use website articles, use conventionally published books from well-regarded authors. They can be fiction or non-fiction, and on any subject. The only thing that matters is that they are written well.

Oh, and hello, and welcome to the forum! :)

5. Pundemic

Pundemic New Member

Bah, text-speak! I'll have you know I pretentiously type out all my texts in full English, with proper grammar and punctuation! But I probably only have time to do that because I get no texts (i.e. have no friends).
    Eh, I guess I understand using abbreviations when sending quick messages, like texts and IMs. I just don't get those who do it when making, like, properly thought-out posts on forums. I swear it would take me longer to type like that.

I'm rambling. Welcome! I'm new here too and so far it's been pre' cool.

6. XIII

XIII Member

Hi AmesWorld. I am also very new here, but welcome to forums.

7. BlackBird

BlackBird New Member

Welcome, I am new too. Hopefully you are not so latched onto the phone that you crash into doors instead of opening them like I've seen students at my kid's university do.

And this is one reason why I dislike phones for texting - cellphones are meant for emergency purposes not to communicate with friends and family you'll see five seconds later when you pull up into the mall or their house.

Texting causes about the same or more car accidents than drunk drivers nowadays. There was an old joke at a european roadtest facility where people had to text and drive to get their license, not a one passed.

Sorry for that, but I'm old school.

As for the texting / proper writing. Read. I am not talking the modern fictions, Twilight, etc., but rather the old classics... they are harder to get a grasp of but that was how people used to talk before us human became to simplify our brains.

And yes we are getting dumper thanks to a UK study which proved a athens man from 1000 years ago would be a genius to modern people.

8. AmesWorld

AmesWorld New Member

Thanks for all the warm and helpful welcomes. I've been browsing around this site a bit and it does seem like a great place.

BlackBird, I haven't run into a door... yet! As for the use of SMS & IMS: I use it to communicate with co-workers who are scattered around the globe... essential to my livelihood.

9. Keiti Ryoko

Keiti Ryoko New Member

I am new here as well. It's nice to be online and have people being friendly; definitely not something you see everyday.
    Anyways, welcome! Settle down, enjoy a nice conversation or twenty!

10. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Welcome to Writing Forums, AmesWorld!

I hope you find what you're looking for here, whatever your interests in writing.

This forum aims to provide the best workshopping resources on the internet, and to that end we have a few rules which you should familiarise yourself with before you get stuck in. The main section of the site is the Writing Workshop, where members can post their writing in order to receive critique of their work.

However, before we allow members to post their work, they must have met some basic requirements. Firstly, you must have been a member for fourteen days, and have made twenty posts on the forum overall (please note, posts in Word Games do not count towards this). This is so that members, when they post their work, have familiarised themselves with the forums and contributed to them (as well as hopefully learned something for themselves). Secondly, members must provide two constructive reviews of other people's work for each piece of their own that they wish to post. This is because we believe that the focus of workshopping should be equally upon giving reviews as receiving them, as they allow a writer to practice and improve their editing skills, which they can then apply to their own writing.

Beyond the Writing Workshop, you will find that we have extensive forums for discussion of aspects of writing, as well as a community area for general discussion. We also run periodic short story and poetry contests, which are good for challenging yourself and expanding your skills.

If you have any questions or problems, then the moderators (myself, Cogito, Lemex and Dante Dases) should be your first port of call. Any technical problems with the site itself should be directed to Daniel, the site administrator and owner. I would recommend you have a look over the rules so that you know what to expect, and what is expected. But aside from that, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Banzai

11. Ian J.

Ian J. Active Member

Cogito isn't a moderator any more, so the text of the standard response needs changing. :)