1. Adhulari

Adhulari Member

One small step for a man...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Adhulari, Aug 17, 2015.

But a giant leap for me.

Hello everyone!
    My name is Lisa, I am twenty-two years old and ever since I was a little girl I wanted to write. I started writing when I was about seven, and stopped when I was about thirteen and my insecurities kicked in. I'm still struggling with that. I'm having a really hard time finishing anything because I am very self-conscious and often ashamed of what I write. Everything simply looks wrong to me. The good news is, I haven't given up hope yet :) and so here I am. I hope joining this community will help me on my way a bit, and perhaps I can help others as well.
    I'm looking forward to meeting you all.
    Kind regards,
    Lisa

P.S. English is not my first language, so I apologize in advance for any weird mistakes I might make.

2. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributor Contributor

Hey Adhulari! This is a great place to have people give you critiques for your work. Also, you will learn a lot by browsing the forum and reading topics about writing regarding areas like character development and plot. There is a wide range of experience from beginners to published novelists. I've been around for roughly a year and very much like the community here. Welcome!

Adhulari likes this.
  3. Adhulari

Adhulari Member

Thank you :)

4. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Hi Lisa!

Always fun to meet other non-native speakers. :D Welcome to the forum!
    Here's our New Member Quick Start to get you started. See you around!

-Kat

Adhulari likes this.
  5. Adhulari

Adhulari Member

Nice to meet you too ^^ And being a non-native speaker, could I ask you a question?
    Do you think writing (actual, good writing) can be done in a second language? I would prefer to write in English simply because of the sound of it, but also because of it's worlwide accessibility. But on the other hand, I do not master English the way I do my own language. So is mastering English and using it to write, worth it and even possible, in your opinion? Or does it never get as good as writing in your own language?

6. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Well, I only write in English, and what's even more out of the ordinary, I suppose, is that I collaborate with my husband, so everything we write, we write together -- in English! The great thing is, if one of us misses a mistake, the other will surely notice it sooner or later :D. I can't imagine writing fiction in Finnish. I'm actually pretty sure I write much worse in my native tongue. :D

I'm hoping it's possible, though. So far we've received encouraging feedback from native speakers, so I'd like to think we are at least on the right track. So I can't see why you couldn't do it either. :) It's plenty of work, for sure, but read and write a lot and you'll get there!

Adhulari likes this.