1. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

A Late Introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Madman, Apr 1, 2014.

Hello!

I've been a member for a while, but never really got to introduce myself properly. That is perhaps something that also speaks a bit for who I am; someone who jumps the social small talk and try to get straight to the point of things.

I'm a man born in Scandinavia and have lived here my entire life. I'm in my early twenties and have gone through a secondary level of education.
    An event at a young age made me disregard school for years (something I regret ). If it wasn't for me picking up my slack in the later years, I would probably not be writing at all.
    Just like in most lives, there has been some turbulence for me, but I'm not complaining about it, neither will I let it affect me in a negative way. I intend to use what I have learned for a positive outcome, and to be a good person.

English is not my first language, but I plan to adopt it for all my stories, so any feedback on my English skills are appreciated.

I'm currently writing a long story that first appeared to me when I was a child.
    It's about a seemingly never-ending cycle of death and rebirth where you follow two different main characters through hard choices, love and war in a large and diverse universe, spanning many worlds.
    To say that my main project is enormous would be an understatement, but I am committed to it and want to tell it's story. To help it out I'm working on a much smaller project for experience and educational purposes.

I'm currently deciding whether to take on some higher education or not. I intend to release my smaller work and depending on it's feedback make my decision on higher education.

And... about my username, it's not a description of me, but rather a description of the writer inside me.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  2. Granny

Granny New Member

Hello
    Have you read the RAMA series of Sci/fi novels? The first is Rendevous with Rama. It sounds similar to yours in that it covers many worlds .
    When you say you lived 'here my entire life', where is here? USA? UK? Ireland?
    I'd recommend you do some higher education definitely. I was an Open University tutor for years & saw such growth in the students understanding. I am currently taking the OU Creative Writing course A215. It is great & I am learning loads.

Good Luck!

Madman likes this.
  3. Madman

I have read very few books as I'm scared of spoiling my own work too much. When I read I tend to stick to historic fiction or factual things and try to stay away from sci-fi. But maybe that's a mistake?
    I meant that I've lived in Scandinavia my entire life, more specifically, in Sweden.

I will definitely take a writing course, that would be a lot of fun and I'd learn tons!

4. Daba

Daba New Member

It most definitely is a mistake. You need to know what others had created, and how they had done it. You need to learn from them, research their styles and think about their ideas. Do not think that it will influence your own story in a negative fashion. If nothing else, it will cause it to evolve into something you might have never had imagined in the first place.

Asimov, Heinlein, Herbert, Clark, Haldeman... Do not run away from prophets of the old young padawan, for their visions can and will help you unleash the force within you ;) (this forum lacks jedi smileys)

Wreybies likes this.
  5. Moneica

Moneica New Member

I couldn't agree more. I think reading others work and getting to have your personal favorites can be a help when writing.You always need your own style, but having influences in your writing help expand it. That's just my opinion. And welcome to the forum also Madman!

6. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

I agree that reading the genre you enjoy to write is important. Some writers suggest that when you're writing in a certain genre, you shouldn't read anything in that genre until you've finished the first draft. I can certainly understand where they're coming from, and whether or not you (@Madman) should use that advice is up to you. But if you are constantly writing sci-fi, then you just have to suck it up and read sci-fi books all the time; there's no escaping it. :)

[​IMG]

Yes or no, @Daba? :D

7. Daba

Daba New Member

Much to learn I have... :)

8. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Just copy them into the forum...

http://www.smileyvault.com/

9. Daba

Daba New Member

Oh man, I thought there was some super secret button that unlocks all the "cool" smileys, available only to established members :D

10. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Nope, just treat them like any image you are inserting instead of hitting the emoti button. [​IMG]

11. Madman

I'm still skeptical, but I may read a single sci-fi novel again and see what influence it may have on my own story.

It also works with text symbols! Don't know if it's only this forum or if it's possible to do the same at other places too.

Well, now I'm going to a little!

12. Daba

Daba New Member

I don't know, maybe I just have a thing for secret buttons :p

Anyway, Madman, if you want to read a single sci-fi novel, I would highly recommend Hyperion, by Dan Simmons. Simply because it has a little bit of everything: space travel, time travel, AI, religion, politics... and it combines it all into one epic and amazingly written story. It's the novel that actually made me a sci-fi lover and writer.

Madman likes this.
  13. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

Thank you very much for introducing yourself after this long time. I think you have forgotten to do that before but don't worry it is not late.I am glad to meet you. Don't scare of me I am not an English but am one who is wandering in some English forums to improve his second language via conversation. My English was funny previously but now I can write some English and my errors is going to be less and less. Well. I myself suppose I am a writer but have not written a complete story yet and hope someday I do that.
    you said you are going to write a long story. In my opinion, it is better you write a short story for instance. The short story may is more pleasant for you that have not written or published any novel till now.
    Writing a long story is like someone jumps from a plane down without any parachute. Because If your writing and experience is not acceptable and mature you have labored for something without any graceful outcome especially when English is not your first language. I don't know, in what theme you can write better, but it is better you lift up a small stone instead of a big rock because may you even can't to move it from its location. I would like to write the short stories because they fruit sooner and their profits are cash.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    Madman likes this.
  14. Madman

That sounds just like something I'd be interested in, thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. I like varied books that have a little bit of everything.

Hey Mans, thanks for your comment.
    I agree with you in part, and I'm actually currently writing a short story just to get some experience and to see which areas I need to improve.
    But I'm also constantly working on the main project, I started a few years ago to actually write it down, and to see the change I've made now from then is rather amazing. I think I've rewritten the starting chapters of it some 3 or 5 times now, and changed the story some as well. My universe has evolved tremendously since I started, and that is thanks to the work I've put into it.

I think it's very important to always keep working on your main project just to flesh it out, and if you have the time, chunk out some lesser ones when you have periods of mental drought.

Good luck with improving your English, you're doing decently and I could understand your comment without any major problems!
    Keep writing the good fight! ;)