1. dahlia28

dahlia28 New Member

newbie question i would appreciate it

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dahlia28, Jun 4, 2009.

so much more than you know!!

I'm new to this board so I will introduce myself a little first :p ..I'm 23 and I live in the southwest, however I am not American I'm actually fully Turkish and moved here when I was 10 and I visit Turkey every summer. I am a college senior majoring in English & American Literature.

The thing is, I'm obsessed with the written word. I am constantly reading. I just feel so drawn to the art of language. I want to write more than anything, however, I don't know if I have any kind of talent for it whatsoever. My question is, did anyone else experience this? Meaning you had no idea you could write before you started to? Maybe if some of you have gone through what I'm going through, I will feel inspired and finally actually try :) That's the goal.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

No one ever knows they can write until they try. Worrying about it isn't a good reason not to try. Yeah, there will be things that you struggle with, everyone struggles. But you keep writing, keep learning, and keep getting better at it.

3. architectus

architectus Banned

If you want more than anything to write, then write. Hobbies are supposed to be fun. If you're good enough to make money at it, that's great, too.

4. Kas

Kas New Member

I went through exactly the same thing. I've been a voracious reader for most of my life, but only recently decided to try my hand at writing. Your first pages might be rough, (mine were terrible) but with a little time and effort you'll find yourself rapidly improving. Having a good, healthy obsession with language is perhaps the best way to start.:)

Welcome to the forums!

5. Dcoin

Dcoin New Member

The nice thing about writing is that the only investment in trying is time. If you have a little bit to spare, your in buisness.

Start small. Essays or short stories, no epic novels just yet.

make it fun and enjoy.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

just give it a try and see what happens, instead of agonizing over it... what kind of writing do you feel drawn to most?... do you have any ideas for a story, or an article, or whatever?...

i mentor many beginning writers, so let me know if you want any private help or feedback... but whatever you do, don't ignore those yearnings!

love and hugs, maia

7. dahlia28

dahlia28 New Member

Thanks everyone :) I wrote a little something today, but I'm too humiliated to post it. Has anyone experienced this? If so, how did you get over it?

8. Banzai

Keep writing, keep reading. It's the only way to improve. Also, on the lines of being too embarassed to show people, remember that everyone had to start out somewhere. Even the masters were beginners at one point, and you can bet the started out as badly as you have. If you show someone who can show you exactly how to improve it, then you'll benefit massively- and surely that's worth getting past the embarassment?

9. Honeybun

Honeybun Active Member

Hi Dahlia,

I'm really surprised that no one jumped at you here and closed your thread saying you couldn't post untill you've reviewed some work here lol

Sorry for that, anyway, I understand what you're going through (as I'm sure others do too) Having a passion to write doens't ocurr to everyone, and I think it's a gift one should really be grateful for.

Take your time around here and see how it's really done. Look around and check out what really appeals to you in terms of style and genre. I really benifited from reviewing a lot. Getting the chance to say something about others' work makes you think about your work in future when you're actually writing.

Good luck, welcome to the forum, waiting to read your stuff :)

Keep the spirits up ;)

PS: as for the humiliation, don't feel that way, we don't know you directly so there's no way one would tend to hurt your feelings in any way. I was sooo happy when I posted one of my writings here and others said, despite the flaws in it, that there's something there and that they'd love to see more.

10. Banzai

Why would anyone say that? :confused: She hasn't posted any of her writing without reviewing. She's just asking a question.

11. Honeybun

Honeybun Active Member

Lol sorry Banzai, my bad! :p

12. Honeybun

Honeybun Active Member

I think it occurred once...can't remember... anyway, nvm

13. Carbon

Carbon New Member

No need to be embarrassed. I'd actually encourage that you post your work. There are a lot of people here who would be overjoyed to read and review it. That could help you if you want to continue writing.

14. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Merhaba canım.
    A person feels kind of strange and vulnerable at first, putting out work for a crit. But it really does help. Also, the early ideas one has can sometimes be really hard to pin down in words, the work always seems lacking somehow. Everyone feels like this. Keep going, it gets better. It's great that you are so sensitive to language, maybe being bi-lingual can help you express things in an original way, too.