1. Rosacrvx

Rosacrvx Contributor Contributor

Trying my luck

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rosacrvx, Oct 15, 2016.

Hello!

I'm a Portuguese trying-to-be writer. I read avidly in English but my proficiency in the language is far from the literary skills I've come across in this forum. I only write in my native language, even though the possibility of a translation of my writing is not to be dismissed in the long term.
    I joined in hopes of learning something from you all, even if writing in Portuguese is quite different. Besides, I enjoy reading other people's work just for the sake of reading. I wish I could find a forum like this in Portuguese language but I’ve looked and looked and there isn’t one.
    My favourite genre is horror. But alas, I have no talent whatsoever to write horror, I write fictional narrative, something I call fantasy/romantic for lack of a better label.
    I'm still learning my way around here. I sill haven't figured out which threads I can comment or not. I'm a bit intimidated about doing a "constructive review" as you call it. I read some of yours and I know I don't have the vocabulary to it so well. I'm hoping I can just comment and that you'll be patient with my English. I'm not very fond of being a lurker. I like to participate.
    I guess that's it for now.
    Looking forward to reading from you.

(You’re very welcomed to correct my English anytime. In fact, I would appreciate it very much!)

2. ThistleMae

ThistleMae Member

Wow, for someone who only writes in Portuguese, what you wrote above is good. Did someone else write it for you? I too am a horror fan. And, I write romantic/fantasy as you call it. I never know exactly what to put on my work for genre, and to be honest I change it around in my query letters. I'm brand new to the site. I'm not published yet, but have written three novels. I'm working on rewrites now. I'm half Portuguese myself, don't speak a word of it though. I'm sure most of us are here to learn together. Welcome!

3. Rosacrvx

Rosacrvx Contributor Contributor

@ThistleMae

Thank you for welcoming me. :)
    Sorry if my meaning didn't come across that well. I am fluent in English (so they say) but I only feel comfortable writing my originals in Portuguese. That's what I meant by "I only write in my native language". Creative writing, that is. ;)

It's interesting that you feel identified with the label I made up. Truth is, I don't know what to call it. My novels take place in a fictional space and time but the main interest lies in the characters and relationships between them. Not all relationships are "romantic", far from it, so maybe I should call it "fantasy/psychological" instead. I'm still waiting for someone to label my stories. At this point, I'd be very happy if someone did because I've already written two and not knowing how to label them is a bit of a problem... Since you have the same "problem", it seems, if you were going to publish an excerpt on this forum, under which genre would you post it?

You're only the second half Portuguese person I meet in my life, offline and online. All the Portuguese I know are 100% so. I'm not one to pry, but from your location can I assume that the other half is American?...

Meanwhile, I've updated my profile, if anyone is interested.